Help recovering data from unknown partition

  • Lasi Tuhery
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 7 9:16 PM
      Hi guys, first post & I already bring-up very serious problem that I am facing right now.
      Hopefully you guys can help me out...........

      My computer setup:
      Pentium II 350 Mhz with 32 + 64 MB memory
      HD 1: Maxtor 40 Gb
      partition 1: primary NTFS Windows 2000 (my system) = 6Gb
      partition 2: primary Fat32 Windows 98 SE (my wife)= 4Gb
      partition 3: primary Fat 32 Windows 98SE (my Son)= 4Gb
      partition 4: logical, containing:
      500mb fat32:swap file
      100mb XOSL
      1Gb fat32:photo files
      1Gb fat32:data files
      8 Gb fat32:downloaded stuff
      rest empty
      HD 2: Quantum 3.2 Gb
      empty space
      logical partition

      First problem:
      While booting to "my wife", system hang (& I heard loud strange Movement of HD) & upon restart HD 2 is gone - also from "my system" & "myson" (even bios only saw one hd). I first thought the aging HD 2 broke ...(but I later on found out that HD 2 is still working perfectly. I disconnected HD 1 & made HD 2 as primary, BIOS immediatelly recognized on boot & I can also install win 2k on empty space. But also this system could not recoqnize my logical partition on HD 1 - that I put as slave now)
      Second problem:
      all 3 systems crashed (completely failed to boot). I can only get to "my son" in dos.
      What is worst, suddenly logical partition got converted to unknown partition (Ranish reported as one unknown type partition whereas partition magic reported as one EB type partition)

      My big concern: HOw to get all my data (photo, data files, & downloaded stuff back)?
      Please help anyone !! I really desperate

      Another question if I delete that EB partition using partition magic floppy, will it destroy all data on it or it just delete the partition so that I can make the logical partition & try to recreate those partitions? Using Ranish I can not delete the partition but It offered to erase instead. Same question, will it erase all data on it?? Reading Trombettot, It said Ranish did not actually delete the partition, it only erased from MBR, but what about erase?????????

      Prior to this problem I had different setup with Similar problem:
      HD1:
      primary 1 : Win 98 my system
      primary 2: Win 98 my wife
      primary 3: empty
      Logical:
      1: XOSL
      2: Linux swap
      3: Linux
      4: Photo file
      5: Data file
      6: downloaded stuff

      HD 2:
      at first : empty space + one logical
      then it became:
      1: primary Win 98 game (my son)
      2: logical old stuff

      Using XOSL I hide both partition of HD 2 from "my system" and "my wife"
      I also hide all partitions of HD 1 when on "my son"
      No problem with this setup.

      Probably due to virus infection, "my son" crashed. I deleted it s0 HD 2 is back to original setup, i.e.:
      1: empty
      2: logical = old stuff
      Here comes odd problem:
      If I unhide logical old stuff both "my system" & "my wife" did not boot (just hang). However Linux has no problem whatsoever reading old stuff.

      I then ghosted "my system" to empty primary 3 for my son. Strange enough, the new my son had no problem with logical old stuff but instead It cannot read any partition on HD 1 logical partition (Photo, data, & downloaded stuff).
      I had partition magic installed on "my system" & it read all partitions with no problem but the same partition magic ghosted to "my son" read logical partition on HD 1 as EB partition.

      2 months ago I decided to reformat & created the above system.............
      Please anyone help me rescuing those valuable data back.

      Thanks.

    • JESSE LAROCQUE
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8 5:19 PM
        Hi Lasi,

        Sorry to hear of your troubles,

        http://www.partition-recovery.com/

        ...give it some consideration ...

        I used it befor and it worked well. All the Best,
        Jesse

        --- Lasi Tuhery <tuhery@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > deleted it s0 HD 2 is back to original setup, i.e.:
        > 1: empty
        > 2: logical = old stuff
        > Here comes odd problem:
        > If I unhide logical old stuff both "my system" & "my
        > wife" did not boot (just hang). However Linux has no
        > problem whatsoever reading old stuff.
        >
        > I then ghosted "my system" to empty primary 3 for my
        > son. Strange enough, the new my son had no problem
        > with logical old stuff but instead It cannot read
        > any partition on HD 1 logical partition (Photo,
        > data, & downloaded stuff).
        > I had partition magic installed on "my system" & it
        > read all partitions with no problem but the same
        > partition magic ghosted to "my son" read logical
        > partition on HD 1 as EB partition.
        >
        > 2 months ago I decided to reformat & created the
        > above system.............
        > Please anyone help me rescuing those valuable data

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Antoine Leca
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9 10:43 AM
          Hi,

          First boot DOS (to "myson" I assume) and do
          part -d 2 -p -r > textfile
          and paste the result here, in order to understand a bit more how really
          things are now.

          If you upgraded to 2.44 beta version, the switches are somewhat different,
          something like part 2 /Print /Extra.

          Of course, it you did things well and you have saved the previous version of
          the same command (on your emergency floppy disk, for example), it might help
          to have this one, too.

          If the disk does not die completely in the mean time, I guess you should be
          able to recover your datas; but I am not sure RPM is the only tool you'll
          have to use.

          Antoine

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

        • doc_chiron
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 9 1:39 PM
            --- Lasi Tuhery wrote:
            > Hi guys, first post & I already bring-up very serious problem that
            I am facing right now. Hopefully you guys can help me out.
            > My HDD setup:
            > HDD1: Maxtor-------------------------------------40 Gb
            > partition 1: primary NTFS Windows 2000 (my syst) 6Gb
            > partition 2: primary Fat32 Windows 98SE (my wife) 4Gb
            > partition 3: primary Fat32 Windows 98SE (my Son) 4Gb
            > partition 4: logical, containing:
            > ----fat32:swap file...............................0.5Gb
            > ----XOSL..........................................0.1Gb
            > ----fat32:photo files.............................0.1Gb
            > ----fat32:data files..............................0.1Gb
            > ----fat32:downloaded stuff........................8 Gb
            > ----unallocated......................... remainder ~17GB

            > HDD2: Quantum-------------------------------------3.2 Gb
            > logical partition........................empty space
            >
            > First problem:

            Doc Chiron here:
            Read 'em and weep -- from:
            http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm

            "However, beware of an obscure bug in DOS/Win9x when there are
            logical partitions and the last logical partition is invisible
            (either hidden or non-FAT). In this circumstance, the extra primary
            may be inaccessible or may be accessible but data corruption may
            occur. To avoid this bug, keep the last logical partition visible to
            DOS/Win9x. (Remember, DOS/Win9x do not officially support extra
            primary partitions, so we can't get too upset about this bug.)"

            Unless your XOSL setup ALWAYS kept the various Win98 partitions from
            seeing each other, you could have succumbed to this bug.

            Find, get and run TESTDISK 5.5. If your partitions are intact except
            for the MBR partition table, this should do the trick. DOC

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 10 1:19 AM
              doc_chiron wrote:
              > from: http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm
              >
              > "However, beware of an obscure bug in DOS/Win9x when there are
              > logical partitions and the last logical partition is invisible
              > (either hidden or non-FAT). In this circumstance, the extra primary
              > may be inaccessible or may be accessible but data corruption may
              > occur.

              I do not believe this is obscure (YMMV).

              There two clear bugs when you are using 95/98 support at DOS level for LBA
              extended partitions. As soon as the part that is enumerating the logical
              partitions encounters a 0F partition, it switches to LBA mode. As a result,
              if a following disk also have extended partition, they will be marked as
              LBA, even if the disk/BIOS does not support this.

              The other bug is a bit more complex to explain. When DOS originally built
              the letter list, it stored the informations it needed in a table after
              having discovered a suitable partition. However, when LBA support was added
              in DOS 7.0, to avoid enlarging the table a lot, they hacked it. And in LBA
              mode, they pre-fill the table with the LBA-related informations,
              particularly the LBA base (first sector) which happens to be the "Hidden
              sectors" numbers in primary partitions but is more complex to compute for
              logical ones. Then they check for suitability. And the bug is taht they do
              not erase the prefilled informations if the test fails... Then, when they
              proceed with the next letter (particularly when non-LBA ;-)), in certain
              circumstances these wrong informations are not overriden. As a result, when
              DOS later reads the boot record to learn about the FAT informations, it read
              the wrong place (the first sector of the "unrecognized" partition) and this
              may create phantom partitions.

              The real nasty here is taht the Win9x kernel (VMM32), when it starts, redoes
              the same job (but in 32-bit) and re-enumerate all the disk. But since it is
              different code, this time they got it right and they handle the cases
              correctly, LBA and all. So while you are staying inside Windows, no
              problem... But once you go down at real-mode DOS level, crack.

              > To avoid this bug, keep the last logical partition visible to
              > DOS/Win9x.

              That is a good advice. This cures the bug because it cleans properly the
              "next" entry at the end of extended partition.

              > (Remember, DOS/Win9x do not officially support extra
              > primary partitions, so we can't get too upset about this bug.)"

              Note problems can happen even without extra primary partitions as well: I
              had problems recently because of the second bug, in a complex setup, with
              the second disk being corrupted, a partition was seeked for in the wrong
              place.

              Antoine
            • tuhery
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 10 6:59 AM
                I just had Test disk analyze my HD & apparently It found all my
                logical partitions So Hopefully all my data are still in there.
                Thank you. You all are my hero!!!
                However, I still cannot proceed further as I don't have any spare HD
                to back-up those logical partitions.

                Another question so that I don't have this kind of problem in the
                future........

                I am aware about the bug with multiple primary partitions. so I
                always hide others primary with XOSL. I even do not let Win 2000 see
                the other 2 Win 98 primary partition (both from XOSL as well as
                remove Win98 partitions from Win 2000's disk management)

                But now I am rather confused with the 2nd bug you guys mentioned
                here. What is it all about???
                Is there anything wrong with my HD setup?
                Primary 1: Win 2000
                Primary2&3: Win 98SE
                Logical1: Winswap(for all 3 OS)
                logical2: XOSL
                logical3,4,&5: basically just data (photo, file,etc..)

                I am presently using partman version 2.40 & hesitant to upgrade due
                to its "beta" situation (Iam no computer expert by any means).
              • doc_chiron
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 10 6:05 PM
                  --- "tuhery" wrote:
                  > I just had Test disk analyze my HD & apparently It found all my
                  logical partitions So Hopefully all my data are still in there.
                  > Thank you. You are all my heroes!!!
                  > However, I still cannot proceed further as I don't have any spare
                  HD to back-up those logical partitions.

                  DOC CHIRON here:
                  Are you telling me that after using TESTDISK to find all of your
                  partitions, you did not instruct TESTDISK to WRITE the master
                  partition table it showed you with ALL of your missing partitions,
                  back to the MBR? When you do that you don't have any more work to do
                  to recover your files - they are recovered!
                  Yes you should still have 17GB unallocated at the end of your
                  EXTENDED PARTITION.

                  > I am aware about the bug with multiple primary partitions, so I
                  always hide other primaries with XOSL. I even do not let Win 2000 see
                  the other 2 Win 98 primary partition (both from XOSL as well as
                  remove Win98 partitions from Win 2000's disk management)

                  DOC: If you use the classic HIDING technique, Win2K can see them
                  anyway, but there is no KNOWN problem there and they are NOT
                  allocated drive letters.

                  > But now I am rather confused with the 2nd bug "ANTOINE" mentioned
                  > here. What is it all about?

                  DOC: Re-read it! He explained it.

                  > Is there anything wrong with my HD setup?
                  > Primary 1: Win 2000
                  > Primary2&3: Win 98SE
                  > Logical1: Winswap(for all 3 OS)
                  > logical2: XOSL
                  > logical3,4,&5: basically just data (photo, file,etc..)

                  DOC: Although you presented your layout directly, without seeing a
                  RPM printout file, I cannot assure you that ALL is well.
                  If you did you partitioning using FDISK there is a high likelihood
                  you are okay. RPM gives you too much power to mess things up!

                  > I am presently using partman version 2.40 & hesitant to upgrade due
                  > to its "beta" situation (Iam no computer expert by any means).

                  DOC: We know that, but you were smart enough to do your own
                  partitioning correctly.
                  I highly recommend RPM v2.43 (over v2.44) because I got tired of
                  explaining the new command line switches for 2.44, plus I like the
                  older verbose printout more because of the included partial "Partiton
                  Boot Sector" "Bios Parameter Block" sections.
                  HTH DOC
                • Lasi Tuhery
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 14 8:06 AM
                    > DOC CHIRON here:
                    > Are you telling me that after using TESTDISK to find
                    > all of your
                    > partitions, you did not instruct TESTDISK to WRITE
                    > the master
                    > partition table it showed you with ALL of your
                    > missing partitions,
                    > back to the MBR? When you do that you don't have any
                    > more work to do
                    > to recover your files - they are recovered!
                    > Yes you should still have 17GB unallocated at the
                    > end of your
                    > EXTENDED PARTITION.

                    I was not brave enough to change anything on my first
                    attempt. I only read the online Testdisk documentation
                    once, I was afraid to make things worse.
                    Anyway, based on your guidance I reran TESTDISK and
                    yes!!!!! all my partitions are recovered. I do not
                    lose a single byte of data.

                    I am presently re installing everything and will
                    definitely send a new post with all details of my
                    partition. Comments from you guys the expert are very
                    much expected.

                    Thank you again and again

                    http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                  • Antoine Leca
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 15 12:22 AM
                      NOW is the moment to do a full backup. Do not be fooled by the apparent "all
                      is working". Your hard disk gave you an advice, it probably will not give
                      you a lot more.

                      I would also do a full surface scan using the Windows tools, and then also
                      give a try to the manufacturer dedicated tools which are doing the same,
                      just in case.

                      Happy you recovered your datas.

                      Antoine