Bugs with new Hardware?

  • glidestalker
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2004
      Ok first of all i'm using only the command line mode of the Manager
      to Create/Delete Partitions.

      I tried to manage partitions on a new HP DL360 G4, with 1 logical
      72GB disk using a Smart Array 6i.
      When i try to start the manager using "/print" the computer simply
      locks up at the point where the disk space should be shown. The gui
      starts and displays the disk, but locks up when exiting.
      - and no, i can't send the computer to anyone for further testing ;) -
      Unfortunately i have no older serverhardware available to check
      against older raid controllers.

      Next Candidate: A HP DC7100 with an 40GB serial ATA drive.
      Command line mode works, but displays completely wrong percentages of
      used space.
      In fact it seems to be that every partition is shown up using 45% of
      disk space regardless of the partition size.
      Using a normal IDE Disk anything is working normal.

      Additionally its not possible to create a second primary partition
      using cmdline with version 2.44 but i think thats a known bug.

      btw: I'm using a windows 98 se bootdisk, with emm386 and a ramdisk.

      Could anyone help? Especially the crash of the server hardware is
      very nasty.

      thanks in advance,
      greetingzz glidestalker
    • doc_chiron
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2005
        Doc Chiron here with comments inserted in-line:

        ---"glidestalker" wrote:
        > ...i'm using only the command line mode of [Part244]... to
        Create/Delete Partitions. I tried to manage partitions on a new HP
        DL360 G4, with 1 logical 72GB disk using a Smart Array 6i.
        > When i try to start the manager using "/print" the computer simply
        locks up at the point where the disk space should be shown. The gui
        starts and displays the disk, but locks up when exiting.

        DOC: Exhibit 'A' readme244.txt excerpt:
        Begin Cite:
        ------- Readme for Version 2.44 Beta / CMD Line June 09, 2002 -------

        Beta version 2.44 combines Partition Manager GUI and command line.
        It also have increased buffer size to investigate reported crushes
        on some systems (laptops?) when users enter cylinder > max_cyl_value.

        Command line interface options:

        part.exe [disk] [/<command>|/BATCH:file [/QUIET|/VERBOSE] [/DEBUG]
        [/SURE]]

        Commands: disk-no - hard disk number, valid values are 1..8
        - if no command is specified GUI will run
        /Print - Print disk and partitions information
        /Extra - Print detailed disk and partitions information
        /MBR - Write standard Initial Program Loader into MBR
        /ACT /P:partition-no |/PRI[:nth]
        /DEL /P:partition-no |/PRI[:nth] |/LOG[:nth] |/EXT |/ALL
        /FOR /P:partition-no |/PRI[:nth] |/LOG[:nth] [/V:label]
        /CRE [/PRI |/EXT |/LOG] [/SZ:mb|pcnt%%] [/FOR [/V:label]]
        Additional /CREATE options: /NTFAT16 /FAT16 /FAT32 /NTFS
        Examples: part_cmd /print - print information about the first disk
        part_cmd /all - print information about all fixed disks
        part_cmd 2 /extra - print detailed information about disk 2
        part_cmd /del /ext - delete extended partition and all
        logical drives
        part_cmd /cre /pri /sz:4000 /for /NTFAT16 - create 4G FAT16
        partition
        part_cmd /for /log:2 /v:BACKUP - format existing second
        logical drive
        part_cmd /del /all /nodel:NTFS,82,83 - delete all but 0x7,
        0x82, 0x83

        Note: disk-no and /sure from the command line are applied to all
        batch commands
        Mikhail [Ranish]
        End Cite:

        The DOS command: (assumes BIOS drive numbering scheme)

        A:\> PART244 /Print (for the default hard drive)
        A:\> PART244 1 /Print (for 1st found)
        A:\> PART244 2 /Print (for 2nd found)
        A:\> PART244 3 /Print (for 3rd found)

        will attempt to output to the default DOS printer, usually LPT1.
        If you do have a printer on LPT1: that works with other DOS programs,
        then RPM should work fine. Most pageprinters (e.g. laser) require
        either an explicit form-feed command or one sent by the driver.
        Better yet, you are better off avoiding DOS printing issues and
        redirecting Ranish output to a file:

        A:\> PART244 /Print > A:\DRV1INFO.TXT (default drive)
        A:\> PART244 1 /Print > A:\DRV1INFO.TXT (
        A:\> PART244 2 /Print > A:\DRV1INFO.TXT
        A:\> PART244 3 /Print > A:\DRV1INFO.TXT

        You fail to mention why you are using the COMMAND LINE form (Batch
        compatible!) Does Ranish work from the interactive screen for you?

        > Unfortunately i have no older serverhardware available to check
        > against older raid controllers.
        >
        > Next Candidate: A HP DC7100 with an 40GB serial ATA drive.
        > Command line mode works, but displays completely wrong percentages
        of used space. In fact it seems to be that every partition is shown
        up using 45% of disk space regardless of the partition size. Using a
        normal IDE Disk anything is working normal.

        > Additionally its not possible to create a second primary partition
        > using cmdline with version 2.44 but i think thats a known bug.
        >
        > btw: I'm using a windows 98se bootdisk, with emm386 and a ramdisk.

        DOC: I think you would be better off using HIMEM.SYS alone to provide
        memory for RAMDISK. emm386 was good when you need to use the BIOS
        memory area for Upper Memory Blocks (UMBs)and such.