Moving space

  • ddemasijr6
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hi, I'm new to this group and I hope that some one out there can
      help me. I'm not a computer wiz. I have a Sony laptop with a 10g
      hard drive. I had some repairs done on it and when they created the
      partitions on the hard drive they gave the c: drive very small
      space. I have 5 gigs of unallocated space that I need to move to
      the c: drive. Can I use this program for that? Can I do it without
      losing any data? That's all I want to do. I'm running Windows XP
      Pro. I only have 1 partition and then unallocated space. Thanks
      for the help!!! I appreciate it.

      demasijr6
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
        From: "ddemasijr6"
        > space. I have 5 gigs of unallocated space that I need to move to
        > the c: drive.

        Does it need to be added to C:\?

        Easiest is to format it and just use it, if you want to install programs you
        can usually direct them to D:\

        Alan
      • doc_chiron
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
          From: ddemasijr6 [mailto:demasijr6@...]
          ... I'm not a computer wiz... Sony laptop w/ 10gb hdd drive.
          I had some repairs done on it and when they created the partitions on
          the hard drive they gave the c: drive very small space. I have 5
          gigs of unallocated space that I need to move to the c: drive. Can I
          use this program for that? Can I do it without losing any data?
          That's all I want to do. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I only have 1
          partition and then unallocated space.

          DOC Chiron here:
          Count your blessings. If you do the REQUIRED reading (previous
          messages), you'll learn about many folk that want to split their
          partitions.
          Although you may be running out of HDD space, you are better off
          using this space as a BACKUP OS partition, with a compressed image
          copy of your current WinXPpro volume.
          If you really need more space, I'd opt for a larger replacement HDD
          for your laptop.

          After all that, if you still want to do what you asked about; NO RPM
          is not the right tool for the job. Although RPM can break down the
          wall between the two partitions, it does not have the power to make
          your existing WinXPpro volume integrate the new space to its existing
          environment.

          Partition Magic 8.0 (commercial$) is the best tool for this job of
          reassigning staorage without losing existing data.
          OR You could temporarily offload your system to an external storage
          medium (USB-drive - borrowed?) or move the laptop drive to a desktop
          PC ($6 adapter required) and save it on that system).

          DOC