UPDATE ON CREATING A SECOND PARTITION

  • jivabill
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2004
      Well, after several more hours of messing around with partsim and part
      I have to admit defeat. EVERY time that I set up a primary parition
      that goes just fine. Then I try to set up another smaller partition
      and instantly the line in the table turns red. I go to the boot
      sector area and press x and it fills in the starting sector and the
      drive but not the number of sectors in the partition. I have tried
      every imaginable possibility. I cannot access the area where the name
      of the volume etc are shown. I have the little window at the top of
      the screen that says "invalid data in boot sector" or words to that
      effect.

      So, at this point I have tried part 2.37, 2.40, 2.43 and 2.44 all with
      the same result. And obviously I cannot use the programs, they just
      flat don't work. Too bad, RPM used to be a very useful tool. Not any
      more.

      My two cents worth.
      Bill
    • norman
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2004
        jivabill wrote:
        > So, at this point I have tried part 2.37, 2.40, 2.43 and 2.44 all with
        > the same result. And obviously I cannot use the programs, they just
        > flat don't work. Too bad, RPM used to be a very useful tool. Not any
        > more.
        >
        > My two cents worth.
        > Bill

        Well I always use part to set up my partitions. I usually set up 3
        primary partitions one extended and multiple logical on the first disc.
        I'm using 2.38 but I the others also work.
        You will have to be more specific about what you are trying to do, your
        hardware setup and the specific keystrokes you are using before we can
        help you here.

        Norman
      • jivabill
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
          Hi Norman, nice to meet you.

          Well, here is the problem. And BTW I am not the only one with this
          problem about Part/Partsim, if you check the last few posts before my
          last.

          For example: I load partsim (any version). Right now I have loaded
          partsim 2.44 while I am on windows here.

          I have deleted all my previous work and all I have in the partition
          table is the MB Record line. The other lines are "unused".

          I move the cursor to the MBR line. Down at the bottom of the table
          the MBR Executable Code area says "Standard IPL". Back up in the
          Table, the next line in the table says "primary unused". This line
          shows beginning C/H/S of 0 0 2 and ending C/H/S of 127 3 63 with a
          partition size of 16127.

          I move the cursor down to the "unused" line and press ENTER to start
          the partitioning wizard. Now I see the small window where I can select
          the partition type, I chose FAT16 and press ENTER. The cursor moves
          over to the next section of this window and stops on the partition
          size, 16128. I use backspace to remove this number and type in 14000.

          I press ENTER and a small red window with white edge lines pops up
          that says, "do you want to save changes now?". I select SAVE NOW and
          press ENTER. Now I have another small red window with white lines
          around the edge that says, "do you want to format the partition now".
          I select "format now" and press enter. Now I get the red window with
          white line edges that warns me that formatting will destroy all data
          in the partition. I select "Format" and press enter.

          Now a grey window pops up with white lines around the edge. In the
          window the words, "Writing Boot Sector" appear and the floppy disk is
          running for a time.

          Now in the partition table I see that an unused partition has been
          created as the next line below the MBR line. This unused line is
          called 1 PRI, C/H/S 0 0 2 start and C/H/S 0 0 63 ending. The size is
          31KB.

          The next line that has been created in the partition table is called 2
          PRI C/H/S 0 1 1 start, C/H/S 110 3 63 end. 13954KB.

          At the bottom of the Simulation Window where the Boot Sector info is
          the following:
          Volume Label "NO NAME"
          System ID "MSDOS5.0"
          File System "FAT16"
          Cluster Size "1K"
          FAT SIZE "128K"

          To the right of the above:
          Starting "63" USED
          Drive Number "128" 0M
          Minimum Size "547" 0M
          Partition Size "27909" 13M
          Maximum Size "27909" 13M

          The next line in the partiion table is:
          3 PRI UNUSED C/H/S 111 01 127 start, C/H/S 127 3 63 end, 2142kb

          This is the area that I want to turn into a second partition so I
          press enter with the cursor on the name "UNUSED".

          Now I get the grey partition wizard window that allows me to select
          the file system (FAT16) and press ENTER. Now I am in the second
          section of the window with the cursor on the size of the partition. I
          press ENTER and the little red window pops up that asks if I want to
          save changes now. I select SAVE NOW and press ENTER. Then I get the
          red window that asks if I want to format the partition now. I select
          FORMAT NOW and press ENTER. Now I get the window that warns that
          formatting will destroy all data in the partition. I select FORMAT
          and press enter. Now I get the grey popup window that says "writing
          boot sector". AND THE PARTITION TABLE LINE TURNS RED. At the top of
          the simulation window is the popup window that says, "Problems with
          Partition" and "Boot Sector does not have valid information". (I've
          been here before a million times).

          So, I press ENTER with the cursor on the name of the new partition: 3
          PRI DOS FAT16. This takes the cursor to the first line of the Boot
          Sector Area at the bottom right of the Simulation Window. Here I see
          that the Starting 0 and Drive Number 0 are both red. I press X.
          Immediately the Starting becomes "27972" and Drive Number becomes
          "128". Note that the Partition Size DOES NOT CHANGE, it remains a
          white 0.

          Now I am stuck. If I move the cursor down to the Partition Size line
          and enter the size (found by pressing F4 while on the line in the
          partition table and getting the size in sectors) it remains RED. If I
          press F2 to save and ESC to exit the popup window that says there are
          problems with the partition boot sector remains. If I ESC out of the
          partsim program and then re load it from the floppy I still find the
          new parition in red and the popup window that says there are problems
          with the boot sector.

          Furthermore, I have another computer here that I am in the process of
          reloading so there is nothing to lose. I run part.exe on it and get
          the very same results live, not in simulation.

          So that's my sad story. Any ideas welcome, but as I said, the part
          program is NOT working for me at the moment.

          Bill

          --- In partman@yahoogroups.com, norman <norman@t...> wrote:
          > jivabill wrote:
          > > So, at this point I have tried part 2.37, 2.40, 2.43 and 2.44 all
          with
          > > the same result. And obviously I cannot use the programs, they
          just
          > > flat don't work. Too bad, RPM used to be a very useful tool.
          Not any
          > > more.
          > >
          > > My two cents worth.
          > > Bill
          >
          > Well I always use part to set up my partitions. I usually set up 3
          > primary partitions one extended and multiple logical on the first
          disc.
          > I'm using 2.38 but I the others also work.
          > You will have to be more specific about what you are trying to do,
          your
          > hardware setup and the specific keystrokes you are using before we
          can
          > help you here.
          >
          > Norman
        • Antoine Leca
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
            Hi Bill,

            > I press ENTER and a small red window with white edge lines pops up
            > that says, "do you want to save changes now?". I select SAVE NOW and
            > press ENTER. Now I have another small red window with white lines
            > around the edge that says, "do you want to format the partition now".
            > I select "format now" and press enter. Now I get the red window with
            > white line edges that warns me that formatting will destroy all data
            > in the partition. I select "Format" and press enter.

            OK, till here I follow you without any difference.

            > Now a grey window pops up with white lines around the edge. In the
            > window the words, "Writing Boot Sector" appear and the floppy disk is
            > running for a time.

            This happens far too quickly for me to note any window. And I certainly do
            not hear any noise from the floppy disk (moreover, I would have been *quite*
            surprised if partsim would have move the floppy.)

            So it appears something is different in your setup, to the point that
            partsim does floppy access even under Windows.

            Can you describe your hardware (at least, what is related to the case at
            hand, BIOS and chipset) and the version of the OS?

            > Now in the partition table I see

            OK, we agree on all points.

            > The next line in the partiion table is:
            > 3 PRI UNUSED C/H/S 111 01 127 start, C/H/S 127 3 63 end, 2142kb
            >
            > This is the area that I want to turn into a second partition so I
            > press enter with the cursor on the name "UNUSED".

            BTW, this is a pretty tiny partition, so it might create problem to the RPM
            formatter (because normally such a partition should be in FAT-12, and I do
            not believe RPM handles this case).

            > Now I get the grey partition wizard window that allows me to select
            <snip>
            > I select FORMAT and press enter.

            OK, agains it is the same.

            > Now I get the grey popup window that says "writing boot sector".
            > AND THE PARTITION TABLE LINE TURNS RED.

            Again, I do not experience this here. Doing exactely the same steps as you
            do did not show this problem.

            There is something you should try first (since you are using 2.44, i.e.
            >=2.42): after creating any partition, assign it a place in the MBR by
            entering a number (1, then 2) in the "Row" column. This way your newly
            created partition will appear in the lower left window (nice, isn't it?) and
            much more importantly will be "saved" in the actual MBR. This might help
            with your problem if it is related in any way with previous garbage still
            present in the actual MBR.

            Perhaps it would be worthly to save your work (you'll have a message about
            no active partition, proceed anyway), quit RPM, zip the DISK_SIM.X80 file
            (it should end in a fairly reasonable size, since it is mostly 0's ;-)) and
            attach it, so that we could inspect it or even try playing with it
            ourselves.

            I myself have included the result of my own try, to allow you to see if it
            give you problems (hope attachments will be allowed). The very same file (a
            ZIP archive) has been attached under two names, in order to avoid strict
            filters; md5: c41a5f9f2963a9e9d0b34a0f8f5e34e4.

            > Furthermore, I have another computer here that I am in the process of
            > reloading so there is nothing to lose. I run part.exe on it and get
            > the very same results live, not in simulation.

            Please, try to locate 2.40 and give it a try (simu or live).

            > So that's my sad story. Any ideas welcome, but as I said, the part
            > program is NOT working for me at the moment.

            I agree what you are experiencing is not correct.

            Antoine

          • norman
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
              jivabill wrote:

              > Hi Norman, nice to meet you.

              <snip>

              > Furthermore, I have another computer here that I am in the process of
              > reloading so there is nothing to lose. I run part.exe on it and get
              > the very same results live, not in simulation.

              ... and the hardware is? Details please!
              Did you try exactly the same sequence on the real hardware?

              > So that's my sad story. Any ideas welcome, but as I said, the part
              > program is NOT working for me at the moment.
              >
              > Bill

              I've never tried using the simulator but part works fine with my hardware.
              I'll try the sequence you tried on my hardware later and report back.

              Regards
              Norman
            • norman
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
                Hi Bill

                I've now tried my copy of partman (2.38 Beta 1.9) and followed your
                script (as far as I could, see below). Both the simulator and real disc
                formated with two partitions without error. However I have some
                questions, see below.

                jivabill wrote:

                > Hi Norman, nice to meet you.
                >
                > Well, here is the problem. And BTW I am not the only one with this
                > problem about Part/Partsim, if you check the last few posts before my
                > last.
                >
                > For example: I load partsim (any version). Right now I have loaded
                > partsim 2.44 while I am on windows here.
                >
                > I have deleted all my previous work and all I have in the partition
                > table is the MB Record line. The other lines are "unused".
                >
                > I move the cursor to the MBR line. Down at the bottom of the table
                > the MBR Executable Code area says "Standard IPL". Back up in the
                > Table, the next line in the table says "primary unused". This line
                > shows beginning C/H/S of 0 0 2 and ending C/H/S of 127 3 63 with a
                > partition size of 16127.
                >
                > I move the cursor down to the "unused" line and press ENTER to start
                > the partitioning wizard. Now I see the small window where I can select
                > the partition type, I chose FAT16 and press ENTER. The cursor moves
                > over to the next section of this window and stops on the partition
                > size, 16128. I use backspace to remove this number and type in 14000.
                >
                > I press ENTER and a small red window with white edge lines pops up
                > that says, "do you want to save changes now?". I select SAVE NOW and
                > press ENTER. Now I have another small red window with white lines
                > around the edge that says, "do you want to format the partition now".
                > I select "format now" and press enter. Now I get the red window with
                > white line edges that warns me that formatting will destroy all data
                > in the partition. I select "Format" and press enter.
                >
                > Now a grey window pops up with white lines around the edge. In the
                > window the words, "Writing Boot Sector" appear and the floppy disk is
                > running for a time.

                All OK upto here but...

                As the floppy is running it appears the the DISK_SIM.X80 file (the
                simulated disc) is on the floppy. I don't know how this could be, as my
                DISK_SIM.X80 file is on a hard disc and is 16Mb in size, somewhat larger
                than a floppy disc. Where is your DISK_SIM.X80 file?

                > Now in the partition table I see that an unused partition has been
                > created as the next line below the MBR line. This unused line is
                > called 1 PRI, C/H/S 0 0 2 start and C/H/S 0 0 63 ending. The size is
                > 31KB.

                Agreed.

                > The next line that has been created in the partition table is called 2
                > PRI C/H/S 0 1 1 start, C/H/S 110 3 63 end. 13954KB.

                Agreed.

                > At the bottom of the Simulation Window where the Boot Sector info is
                > the following:
                > Volume Label "NO NAME"
                > System ID "MSDOS5.0"
                > File System "FAT16"
                > Cluster Size "1K"
                > FAT SIZE "128K"
                >
                > To the right of the above:
                > Starting "63" USED
                > Drive Number "128" 0M
                > Minimum Size "547" 0M
                > Partition Size "27909" 13M
                > Maximum Size "27909" 13M
                >
                > The next line in the partiion table is:
                > 3 PRI UNUSED C/H/S 111 01 127 start, C/H/S 127 3 63 end, 2142kb

                Agreed.

                > This is the area that I want to turn into a second partition so I
                > press enter with the cursor on the name "UNUSED".
                >
                > Now I get the grey partition wizard window that allows me to select
                > the file system (FAT16) and press ENTER. Now I am in the second
                > section of the window with the cursor on the size of the partition. I
                > press ENTER and the little red window pops up that asks if I want to
                > save changes now. I select SAVE NOW and press ENTER. Then I get the
                > red window that asks if I want to format the partition now. I select
                > FORMAT NOW and press ENTER. Now I get the window that warns that
                > formatting will destroy all data in the partition. I select FORMAT
                > and press enter. Now I get the grey popup window that says "writing
                > boot sector".

                All OK up to here.

                > AND THE PARTITION TABLE LINE TURNS RED. At the top of
                > the simulation window is the popup window that says, "Problems with
                > Partition" and "Boot Sector does not have valid information". (I've
                > been here before a million times).

                Opps. This does not happen to me. If your DISK_SIM.X80 file is on the
                floppy that might be the cause.

                > So, I press ENTER with the cursor on the name of the new partition: 3
                > PRI DOS FAT16. This takes the cursor to the first line of the Boot
                > Sector Area at the bottom right of the Simulation Window. Here I see
                > that the Starting 0 and Drive Number 0 are both red. I press X.

                Eh! What does X do? (It doesn't exist in version 2.38).

                > Immediately the Starting becomes "27972" and Drive Number becomes
                > "128". Note that the Partition Size DOES NOT CHANGE, it remains a
                > white 0.
                >
                > Now I am stuck. If I move the cursor down to the Partition Size line
                > and enter the size (found by pressing F4 while on the line in the
                > partition table and getting the size in sectors) it remains RED. If I
                > press F2 to save and ESC to exit the popup window that says there are
                > problems with the partition boot sector remains. If I ESC out of the
                > partsim program and then re load it from the floppy I still find the
                > new parition in red and the popup window that says there are problems
                > with the boot sector.
                >
                > Furthermore, I have another computer here that I am in the process of
                > reloading so there is nothing to lose. I run part.exe on it and get
                > the very same results live, not in simulation.
                >

                > So that's my sad story. Any ideas welcome, but as I said, the part
                > program is NOT working for me at the moment.
                >
                > Bill

                My questions are where is your DISK_SIM.X80 file located?
                And does the real hard disc fail in exactly the same way?

                My only suggestion to try a different version of part, I have no
                experience of 2.44.

                Regards
                Norman Back
              • jivabill
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
                  Hi Norman, again. My reply is interspersed below:

                  > Furthermore, I have another computer here that I am in the process
                  of
                  > > reloading so there is nothing to lose. I run part.exe on it and
                  get
                  > > the very same results live, not in simulation.
                  >
                  > ... and the hardware is? Details please!
                  > Did you try exactly the same sequence on the real hardware?

                  Well, the second computer is a Tiger with a Cryix 300 MMX processor
                  and with 158MB RAM, one 5GB HD, one 10GB HD. Yes I used the same
                  sequence on the real hardware. In fact I tried several permutations of
                  the sequence to account all possibilities.

                  > I've never tried using the simulator but part works fine with my
                  hardware.

                  Yes, I remember in the past several years ago using an earlier version
                  of Part, like way earlier, and it worked fine for me for resizing and
                  for creating new partitions. Of course that was on a completely
                  different machine. Nothing exotic, a 500MHZ P III with 2 10GB HDs and
                  128MB RAM.(unfortunately that machine burned in a power supply fire
                  that destroyed everything-over voltage- but the video and sound cards
                  and the memory. Oh yes, it also destroyed both HD's and a CDR and
                  CDRW drive). But, I hasten to add that at the time I created a
                  partition on the Tiger mentioned above with NO problems. Again, this
                  was with an early version of RPM. As I mentioned in another post, now
                  I have Part 2.40, 2.43, 2.44.

                  > I'll try the sequence you tried on my hardware later and report
                  back.

                  Thanks, I appreciate your help Norman.

                  Bill
                • jivabill
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
                    Hi Antoine, nice to meet you. And thank you for your comments. My

                    To answer you questions, some of them --I said the following:

                    > > Now a grey window pops up with white lines around the edge. In
                    the
                    > > window the words, "Writing Boot Sector" appear and the floppy disk
                    is running for a time.

                    > This happens far too quickly for me to note any window. And I
                    certainly do
                    > not hear any noise from the floppy disk (moreover, I would have been
                    *quite*
                    > surprised if partsim would have move the floppy.)

                    Well, here is what is going on. When you are in partsim, the
                    Simulation mode, EVERYTHING is taking place on the floppy that you
                    load from. So when partsim writes the boot record it has to write it
                    to the floppy file.

                    > So it appears something is different in your setup, to the point
                    that
                    > partsim does floppy access even under Windows.

                    Perhaps. This depends upon how you are running partsim. The way I do
                    it is I downloaded part 2.44 or 2.43 or whichever version. Then I
                    unzip it to a formatted floppy disk. Now I can go to My Computer,
                    double click on that. Then in the window that shows the floppy, hard
                    drive etc. I double click on the floppy disk line. Now I get a
                    window with the contents of the floppy. In that I find part0sim for
                    whichever version I am working with and I double click that. This
                    will bring up a DOS window in windows.

                    Now you can use the Simulator while you are operating in windows. As
                    a matter of interest, this is how I responded to Norman's questions.
                    I had the DOS window for Simulation of RPM running along with the
                    window for the Yahoo Group Partman. That way I could switch back and
                    forth and report each thing that I did in partsim.

                    > Can you describe your hardware (at least, what is related to the
                    case at
                    > hand, BIOS and chipset) and the version of the OS?

                    Well I can describe it in general terms -- This computer is an old
                    (1994 or so) Intel Pentium 133. It has a 8GB HD and has 64MB of RAM.
                    Without going to the BIOS I don't recall the actual details except
                    that it is a Phoenix BIOS. I am running WIN98SE.

                    As you can imagine, with a 133 processor, things do not happen as fast
                    here as they do on your machine.

                    > OK, we agree on all points.
                    >
                    > > The next line in the partiion table is:
                    > > 3 PRI UNUSED C/H/S 111 01 127 start, C/H/S 127 3 63 end, 2142kb
                    > >
                    > > This is the area that I want to turn into a second partition so I
                    > > press enter with the cursor on the name "UNUSED".
                    >
                    > BTW, this is a pretty tiny partition, so it might create problem to
                    the RPM
                    > formatter (because normally such a partition should be in FAT-12,
                    and I do
                    > not believe RPM handles this case).

                    Yes, RPM only goes down to FAT16. I never had a problem with small
                    partition before, some time back when using an earlier version of
                    Part, I was able to resize and create with no problems. But that of
                    course does not mean that it works now :-) But I hasten to point out
                    that if I go to live Part.exe on this machine for example and look at
                    the partitions and try to set up a new partition, even though it is
                    FAT32 and is a GB still get the same problem, Red line and "invalid
                    date in boot sector".

                    > > Now I get the grey popup window that says "writing boot sector".
                    > > AND THE PARTITION TABLE LINE TURNS RED.
                    >
                    > Again, I do not experience this here. Doing exactely the same steps
                    as you
                    > do did not show this problem.
                    Yes, and this is the problem. Some time back when I used an early
                    version of Part (I don't have it anymore as the computer it was on
                    burned up, literally. Power supply caught fire, went over voltage,
                    destroyed the entire machine's innards. Only thing left is the box) I
                    was able to create a partition without the red error line occuring.

                    > There is something you should try first (since you are using 2.44,
                    i.e.
                    > >=2.42): after creating any partition, assign it a place in the MBR
                    by
                    > entering a number (1, then 2) in the "Row" column. This way your
                    newly
                    > created partition will appear in the lower left window (nice, isn't
                    it?) and
                    > much more importantly will be "saved" in the actual MBR. This might
                    help
                    > with your problem if it is related in any way with previous garbage
                    still
                    > present in the actual MBR.

                    Now you may be onto something. I believe I have tried that but I am
                    not sure as I have tried so many possibilities. So I will conduct an
                    experiment as you suggest.

                    OK, now I have partsim running as a DOS Window along with the Partman
                    Group window that I am typing in now.

                    Alright, so I have the active primary partition, row 1 13954KB. On
                    the next line which is "unused" I press ENTER on "unused" to start the
                    partition wizard. I select FAT16 and press ENTER. Now I am in the
                    second half of the window and I just press ENTER to allow the new
                    partition to use all the space. Now it asks me if I want to SAVE and
                    I do that and then it asks if I want to FORMAT and I do that. All the
                    time the line is RED now. I assign this new parition ROW 2.

                    In the litle window MBR at the bottom left I see that the active
                    partition says 1 *FAT-16 and the size is 13. The new partition, in
                    RED, says 2 FAT-16 size is 2. The entries here for the new parition
                    are RED.

                    Now in the middle, where Volume Label, System ID, File System are,
                    these are blank. The Cluster size and FAT size are both white zeroes.

                    Moving toward the right side, Starting (sector) is a red zero. Drive
                    num is a red zero.

                    Now with the cursor on the new partition line on DOS FAT16 I press
                    ENTER. The cursor goes down to the right bottom of the window where
                    the boot record things are and stops on Starting on the red zero. I
                    press X. Now "Starting" become 27972 and "Drive num" become 128. BUT,
                    note that "Partition size" remains a white zero. All the time the
                    little popup window at the top of the main Simulation window is there
                    saying that the boot sector doesn't have valid information.

                    Now I will save but I note that my main partition is "active" because
                    I made it the primary boot partition when I set up this simulation.

                    > Perhaps it would be worthly to save your work (you'll have a message
                    about
                    > no active partition, proceed anyway), quit RPM, zip the DISK_SIM.X80
                    file
                    > (it should end in a fairly reasonable size, since it is mostly 0's
                    ;-)) and
                    > attach it, so that we could inspect it or even try playing with it
                    > ourselves.

                    OK, Now I press F2 and the floppy runs a moment to save. Then I ESC
                    from the boot sector area and the cursor lands on the second partition
                    line at DOS FAT16. Now I ESC and a little window pops up that says I
                    have not saved changes that have been made to MBR. So I select SAVE
                    NOW. And the partsim window closes.
                    Now lets see if I can zip up the file DISK_SIM.X80 and figure out how
                    to attach it :-).

                    I will send this post (before I crash the box and lose it) and attach
                    the file to my next post.

                    BTW, I have tried part 2.40 with the same results.

                    Bill

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
                      Hi Antione,
                      Well, I could not figure out how to find and attachment AND I looked
                      at the FILES area (mentioned at the left under HOME, MESSAGES, POST,
                      etc. It appears that our moderator has limited who may create or
                      upload files.

                      So it looks like what I will have to do is to zip up the file and send
                      it to you via email.

                      Bill
                    • jivabill
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
                        Hi Antoine,

                        Well, problems, problems. I tried to zip the file and about 80% of
                        the way thru the file zipping I encountered a read error. Then I
                        tried moving the file from the floppy to my C drive. Same thing, 80%
                        of the way it said "can't read from device".

                        So I don't know what is going on there. The floppy drive is working
                        fine on everything else.
                      • norman
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
                          jivabill wrote:

                          > Hi Antoine,
                          >
                          > Well, problems, problems. I tried to zip the file and about 80% of
                          > the way thru the file zipping I encountered a read error. Then I
                          > tried moving the file from the floppy to my C drive. Same thing, 80%
                          > of the way it said "can't read from device".
                          >
                          > So I don't know what is going on there. The floppy drive is working
                          > fine on everything else.

                          Maybe you have a faulty floppy disc.
                          Try copying part0sim.exe to a folder on the hard drive and running it
                          from there.

                          Regards
                          Norman
                        • Antoine Leca
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
                            Hi Bill:

                            OK, now I figure what is going on.

                            I am using part0sim from a harddisk... and that is making A LOT of
                            differences, of course.
                            Particularly when you are dealing with a 16MB file, which is almost nothing
                            on my harddisk, but definitively won't fit on a floopy disk ;-)

                            What you are experiencing is that, when you create the 2nd partition,
                            part0sim seeks the floppy disk to the 28,000th sector... and does not
                            succeed (strange, isn't it?)
                            The problem is that RPM does not interpret correctly what the underlying
                            software returns as error message (might be related to the extender; or
                            perhaps to the interaction of it with the NT kernel and file allocation,
                            whose behaviour with a very empty file on a floppy disk might be
                            faulty/different from Windows/DOS that Mikhaïl tested initially), so it
                            hangs.
                            Same point when you create the ZIP file.

                            On my side, I of course does not have any problem. ;-)

                            The attachment did not go (I am not reading directly on the web, I use a
                            SMTP gateway). Sorry for letting you trying hopelessly.

                            Hope it helps,

                            Antoine
                          • jivabill
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
                              Hi Norman,
                              Well, I did another experiment after I had the trouble trying to zip
                              up the file Disk_sim.x80. I tried to move the file to the hard disk
                              so I could deal with it there and I got another "can't read from
                              device" message about 80% thru the file. So I reasoned that somehow
                              the file was getting too big for the floppy. SO, I went to my
                              Downloads folder and unzipped Part244.zip into a folder on my C: drive.

                              VOILA! Now part and part0sim work as they should. No more red lines.
                              Apparently the floppy is not a big enough playpen for the part
                              programs. Interesting. The reason I was using a floppy is that in
                              the docs for part2.40 (readme) I found instruction for putting it on a
                              bootable floppy, which is what I had done.

                              So, problem is solved. Now I can use Part. I have to thank you and
                              everyone who has corresponded on this because thru our correspondence
                              I came to a solution far faster than I would have on my own.

                              Bill

                              --- In partman@yahoogroups.com, norman <norman@t...> wrote:
                              > jivabill wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi Antoine,
                              > >
                              > > Well, problems, problems. I tried to zip the file and about 80% of
                              > > the way thru the file zipping I encountered a read error. Then I
                              > > tried moving the file from the floppy to my C drive. Same thing, 80%
                              > > of the way it said "can't read from device".
                              > >
                              > > So I don't know what is going on there. The floppy drive is working
                              > > fine on everything else.
                              >
                              > Maybe you have a faulty floppy disc.
                              > Try copying part0sim.exe to a folder on the hard drive and running it
                              > from there.
                              >
                              > Regards
                              > Norman
                            • jivabill
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
                                Hi Antoine,

                                Yes! Thank you very much for asking the questions that caused the
                                solution to surface :-)

                                > OK, now I figure what is going on.

                                And you are correct. Something about the floppy situation caused the
                                zip and the attempt to copy to hang about 80% thru the file
                                disk_sim.x80. And when that happened it made me realize that the
                                problem was having the part files on the floppy. I went to my
                                Downloads folder where I had part244.zip which I had download from the
                                Ranish site. So I unzipped it to a folder on my hard disk. Then,
                                part ran just fine. I was able to run part0sim and create multiple
                                partitions and NO red lines. And the boot sector filled in correctly
                                for each partition. Of course part.exe should work now also.

                                So thank you very much for asking the questions that tripped up the
                                solution to this frustrating problem. I have two other computers
                                sitting in my living room waiting for me to figure his out so I can
                                resize or create partitions before going on with the work on them.

                                You will see my post to Norman on this also. It is great to have part
                                working right once again!

                                Bill