Re: [partman] Re: Edit Partition Table.

  • James M. DeLuca
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
      Doc Chiron here to illuminate when I have light, prod when called for,
      help if possible, and humiliate only when absolutely necessary.>

      >From: Abhinn Aghada <abhinn_kalp@...>
      >Thanks to jmdeluca.!!
      >Actually everything has become zero in partiotn 2.

      Doc: You must mean SOME parameters, such as the Bios Parameter Block entry
      for FAT size.

      >I tried to modify some of the parameter using RPM. so you can see now these
      >values.
      >After editing with DE. i was able to modify set these table correct.

      Doc: I guess DE is PTS Disk Explorer, since you later ask about DISKEDIT.

      >Type: Windows FAT-32 CHS=(0,1,1) 4,498,168 k
      > 8,996,337 sectors
      > Volume Label: MAINC
      > System id: MSWIN4.1
      > File system: FAT32
      > Cluster size: 4k (8s)
      > FAT size: 0k
      > Drive number: 128 Exp: 128
      > Starting sector: 63
      > Expected value: 63
      > Number of sectors: 8,996,337
      > Expected value: 8,996,337
      >
      >After these i tried to run program like ZARFAT, & it could list the files.
      >but since the program is demo it could not extract more then 4 dir.
      >
      >I think i have all the data intact. The cause of the problem is not known,
      >but i doubt some virus has hit. As soon as i started the PC it came up with
      >windows 98 logo & suddenlu stuck there. after that it started giving,
      >invalid drive, want to format it now?
      >But i have never given format.

      Doc: I think it unwize to attempt to boot-to or even try to access the
      contents of this partition until the FAT size entry is correctly entered in
      the BPB.

      >As you rightly said, the problem is with the volume. It [any running OS] is
      >not able to see the FAT area. how can i bring it back? So that some
      >freeware programs like Drive Rescue or PCInspector can get those files.?
      >Is Diskedit what you mentioned a freeware.?

      No, it is a small utility that is included in the following Symantec
      products:
      Norton Utilities, Norton SystemWorks and Norton SystemWorks Pro (includes
      Ghost).
      Although it may be possible for YOU to successfully use it to reconstruct
      your partition boot sector's BPB, I would suggest that instead, you look for
      some free Partition Recovery software.
      While looking, I found this link with lots of links to recovery software.

      http://free-backup-software.net/recovery/

      HTH Doc

      Premium! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200439ave/direct/01/
    • Abhinn Aghada
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
        >From: Abhinn Aghada <abhinn_kalp@...>
        >Thanks to jmdeluca.!!

        > Doc: I guess DE is PTS Disk Explorer, since you
        > later ask about DISKEDIT.

        Abh: Yes I use PTS Disk Explorer.

        > >Type: Windows FAT-32 CHS=(0,1,1) 4,498,168 k
        > > 8,996,337 sectors
        > > Volume Label: MAINC
        > > System id: MSWIN4.1
        > > File system: FAT32
        > > Cluster size: 4k (8s)
        > > FAT size: 0k
        > > Drive number: 128 Exp: 128
        > > Starting sector: 63
        > > Expected value: 63
        > > Number of sectors: 8,996,337
        > > Expected value: 8,996,337

        Doc: I think it unwize to attempt to boot-to or even
        > try to access the
        > contents of this partition until the FAT size entry
        > is correctly entered in
        > the BPB.

        Can i Estimate the Size of FAT ? Or any calulation
        which might be guessed.?

        > No, it is a small utility that is included in the
        > following Symantec
        > products:
        > Norton Utilities, Norton SystemWorks and Norton
        > SystemWorks Pro (includes
        > Ghost).
        > Although it may be possible for YOU to successfully
        > use it to reconstruct
        > your partition boot sector's BPB, I would suggest
        > that instead, you look for
        > some free Partition Recovery software.
        > While looking, I found this link with lots of links
        > to recovery software.
        >
        > http://free-backup-software.net/recovery/
        >
        > HTH Doc

        I checked the links, but their it seems these site is
        misleading. It opens the same pages again & again..

        Thanks.

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • James M. DeLuca
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2004
          Doc Chiron here to illuminate when I have light, prod when called for,
          help if possible, and humiliate only when absolutely necessary.>

          >From: Abhinn Aghada
          > > >Type: Windows FAT-32 CHS=(0,1,1) 4,498,168 k
          > > > 8,996,337 sectors
          > > > Volume Label: MAINC
          > > > System id: MSWIN4.1
          > > > File system: FAT32
          > > > Cluster size: 4k (8s)
          > > > FAT size: 0k
          > > > Drive number: 128 Exp: 128
          > > > Starting sector: 63
          > > > Expected value: 63
          > > > Number of sectors: 8,996,337
          > > > Expected value: 8,996,337

          >Can i Estimate the Size of FAT ? Or any calulation which might be guessed.?

          DOC: OK here's what I did for you, assuming you are up to the task of using
          PTS Disk Explorer to write to the damaged VOLUME.
          I used RPM to create a FAT32x Primary partition out of some uncommitted
          sectors at the end of my drive. I made it the EXACT size as your damaged
          partition. The ONLY major difference is that your partition starts at CHS
          0,1,1 while mine starts at CHS 5800,1,1.
          MOST of the screens (but not all) use SECTOR numbers relative to the start
          of the VOLUME, such that the first BOOT sector is SECTOR 0. At least 1 file
          shows the ABSOLUTE sector number, but try not to be confused by that.

          I used DISKEDIT to copy the three (3) FAT32 bootsectors (with the
          all-important BIOS parameter Block) and the backup set of bootsectors, as
          well as the ROOT directory and both FATs. For each structure I created both
          a HEX/ASCII dump file and a file that displays the contents of the structure
          in a more useful way. These files are ZIPped and attached!! (The partman
          forum will discard the attachment - so everyone else is left out - sorry!)

          Hopefully you can use this info to determine which portions of your VOLUME
          have been damaged.
          The worst news for you would be to see that BOTH FATs have been corrupted.
          That would make it ALMOST impossible to recover your files (remember that
          although you might have seen your files in a directory listing, that only
          means you can get the first cluster of those files. The FAT is required to
          get the rest). This is a lot of work for you, but also a learning
          experience. I infer that safe file recovery is not as important as NOT
          spending money on software you may only use once. But if your files are
          valuable to you, you may need to reconsider your decision.

          >I checked the links, but their it seems these site is misleading. It opens
          >the same pages again & again..

          Doc: You need to carefully choose your links. These links include
          commercial, shareware and freeware sites. I found that when you click a
          link, it takes you to a brief info page on the same site, but if you click
          the picture of the program's screen, you go to the program's website.

          This site looks promising: http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/

          HTH DOC

        • doc_chiron
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2004
            Doc here:
            I am a little rusty with using DISKEDIT. All of the files I sent you
            should have had .BIN as the file-type because they are ALL binary
            copies of the sectors in the locations indicated.
            The MENU bar item TOOLS has choices WRITE & PRINT to output the
            contents of the currently defined OBJECT. The OBJECT is selected from
            the OBJECT menu.
            Anyway, I was using WRITE, which outputs the binary contents of the
            sectors that make up the OBJECT. What I needed to do was use the
            PRINT function! It offers printing to either LPT1: or a FILE:!
            Furthermore, it permits doing so in the manner displayed on-screen
            that is appropriate for that OBJECT! Also it offers the HEX/ASCII
            display I mentioned, but failed to deliver.
            After hearing the bad news about my error, I set out to recreate the
            partition and get it right this time. I had saved ALL the files and
            was about to zip them when I noticed that the BPB values didn't match
            those of the prior day. Drat! Your partition is 63 sectors shy of 560
            cylinders, but in my haste I created a partition with 600 cylinders.
            All that work for nothing! Well, I had to leave work (wife beckons).
            Later that night, I was checking some other GROUP postings and took
            the opportunity to visit the Yahoo Groups site directly. (My office
            network security software refuses to allow me access to the GROUPS
            portion of Yahoo. MIS outsources email security to a firm whose
            restrictions never affected me before, but the won't fix this problem.
            I digress... but I had joined the MYTOOLBOX group. Upon revisiting I
            noticed an/some items you might be interested in.
            Note: You may have to JOIN the group to access their files.

            dos_tools/

            http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/oPa-QECU_3i4Jn-
            7wCpcyMm82tLzokMOM0E4_PhgCNeBPWZRTiVqIIsYHN5uAsvR7eM_JlxnZQhXqOejqu5-
            JZBCYD-K0G6y/diagnostic_tools/norton_dos_tools/diskedit.zip

            DOC
          • James M. DeLuca
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2004
              Doc Chiron here to illuminate when I have light, prod when called for,
              help if possible, and humiliate only when absolutely necessary.>

              I forgot to mention some quirks of the DISKEDIT Advanced Recovery Mode.

              TIP: Be sure to load a DOS mouse driver (I recommend FreeDOS' CTMOUSE.EXE -
              its tiny).
              TIP: Use the MODE CON: LINES=50 command to show 50 lines.

              If possible, practice using it on some non-valuable partition. Yes, it is
              possible to make things worse.

              Before running DISKEDIT, have a Ranish printout [part -p -r > LPT1:] (pre
              v2.44 - it doesn't include the BPB section) handy so you know the disk
              structure.

              When you first open the Advanced Recovery window, don't be surprised if it
              complains about the number of FAT sectors being wrong, you'll fix that!
              Also, depending on the HDD, the number of heads may NOT show 255 (mine shows
              241). Lots of DEFAULT entries may be wrong! (Damn, I have to fix the stuff
              that's not broken too!)

              The incorrect head count comes from the same place that causes Ranish to
              show an incomplete last cylinder. Use your Ranish printout to enter correct
              values for the PHYSICAL portion of the table.
              For the partition at hand, the LOGICAL section needs to be set:
              Starting CHS 0,1,1 Ending CHS 559,254,63 Note that the section uses a
              different ordering!
              Be sure to enter the SECTORS PER FAT value from the printout. When you have
              all of the values correct, you should see the 8,99x,x37 value match the
              total number of sectors for that partition from the printout!

              There is a HELP section in the program about ARM. Do read it. HTH DOC

              MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups � now 3 months FREE!
            • Abhinn Aghada
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2004
                Thanks James,
                I was able to recover all of by data. Appreciate your
                help very much. It was the BPB which i edit &
                evrything went fine.

                So moral of the story is be-aware of Viruses...

                Bye.

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/fXFolB/TM

                http://messenger.yahoo.com/