Re: LILO : can it be installed above 8 Gig ?

  • y31415926536
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
      In partman@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Green <jeff@t...> wrote:
      > This is essentially not an issue for lilo, it will boot linux from
      > anywhere its called from, your bios however may very well not
      support
      > active partitions above 8GB or the 1024th cylinder but if the bios
      lets you lilo should.

      Well Jeff, maybe the version of Lilo bundled with SuSE 7.0 is limited
      in this respect ?
      When trying to boot thru it with the partition settings I described,
      it prints "LI" onto the console and stops there - I think I
      understand it did execute the 1st stage loader and load the second
      stage one and then choke. My BIOS is completely LBA-capable, hence I
      suspect it's thise LILO that doesn't issue the extended int 13 as
      needed. Or I made an error in describing the configuration for LILO :(

      When I get some time, I'll dig into this (I have got a life and more
      urgent things to cope with) - my next attempt at fixing things would
      be to put the /boot stuff in the small DOS/FAT16 partition at the
      beginning of the disk, where it could not possibly have problems with
      extended int 13 and see how it does...

      Thanks

      --
      Ninho
    • y31415926536
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
        --- In partman@yahoogroups.com, Doc "not into linux" wrote :
        > I recall something from the required reading that indicated LILO
        had to be
        > above a certain version in order to boot above the 7.8GB boundary.

        I suspect that my LILO is not up to the task indeed - see my answer
        to Jeff Green in thread. Some day just for fun I'm going to transfer
        the Linux /boot a directory of my tiny FAT16 partition and it should
        work, hopefully. TY again

        --
        Ninho
      • Philipp G.
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
          > it prints "LI" onto the console and stops there - I think I
          > understand it did execute the 1st stage loader and load the second
          > stage one and then choke.

          hi ninho,

          if i remember corretly, my investigations showed you'd have to use
          suse 7.1 or later. alternatively you could "patch" your suse
          distribution with a more recent lilo: you'll need lilo version 21.4.2
          or later!

          there's two docs at the xosl site:

          see:

          cheers, philipp0000
        • y31415926536
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2003
            --- In partman@yahoogroups.com, "Philipp G." <philipp@g...> wrote:
            > if i remember corretly, my investigations showed you'd have to use
            > suse 7.1 or later. alternatively you could "patch" your suse
            > distribution with a more recent lilo: you'll need lilo version
            21.4.2
            > or later!

            Hi Philipp ! This is to update you as well as other members who
            either helped or else might find be interested :

            installing the new LILO like you suggested (by just replacing the
            executable file, in fact,) and adding the "LBA32" option did the
            trick.

            T.Y. once more.

            --
            Ninho