Re: [partman] Partitioning HP Pavilion ze5200

  • Dermot Moynihan
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      At 00:33 01/10/2003 +0000, KS wrote:

      >Hello folks
      > I am new to this group. I have a HP Pavilion ze5200. It has a
      >pre-installed version of WindowsXPPro with lots of software and has a
      >30GB hard disk. As a Linux enthusiastic, I would like to make room for
      >this without a reinstall or using fdisk. Is there any advice from the
      >experts. I know HP sucks since it has a separate partition for the
      >boot loader and I dont want to get in trouble. I have used fdisk
      >before with Toshiba and did a clean dual boot but I dont have the
      >courage with HP since it is a pretty new machine. I cant go for
      >Partition magic due to financial concerns.

      A quick summary of what's below: forget it.

      You don't mention backing up. Check the archives for horror stories -
      mainly unresolved. If you can't back up I wouldn't go near this. Some
      people seem to have managed to repartition after using a vigorous
      defragger. MS Defrag doesn't seem to cut it. Ranish is best used on blank
      hard drives. Even if you were using Partition Magic you are advised to
      backup. Even for as simple a thing as installing a new application you are
      advised to back up! With what you are considering you could easily lose
      access to all that software and/or find yourself unable to boot to your XP.

      Your choices would appear to be:
      Save up for Magic or borrow it or something and/or figure out someway to
      backup to an off-hard drive location (you should do the latter anyway - all
      modern hard drives are crap and it's best to see them as in a process of
      dying. A bit like ourselves really. Except for the first bit ;)).
      Don't do it at all.
      Risk it. The question then is how would you cope with losing all that
      software? Compare the disadvantages of that with the advantages of having
      Linux. Would you swap all that software for Linux? Not a tough call, really.

      Incidentally, what kind of software is it anyway that it doesn't include
      Partition Magic. That's sort of rhetorical.

      Dermot
    • Dermot Moynihan
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        At 00:33 01/10/2003 +0000, KS wrote:

        > I have a HP Pavilion ze5200. It has a
        >pre-installed version of WindowsXPPro with lots of software and has a
        >30GB hard disk.

        <snip>

        A second perusal indicates there might be a need for a postscript to what I
        said earler:
        Those words "pre-installed version" might just imply that you do not even
        have the XP PRO CD - and a "Recovery CD" is not an adequate replacement. If
        so, the cautions previously expressed are even more applicable. Speaking
        plainly: Don't do it.
      • Fred Johnston
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
          I agree with Dermot... don't do it w/o a backup... I have used
          a cheaper tool (Paragon Partition Manager) and it gave
          me great results (even where PM would not cut it!)... You
          may also want to think outside the box a little... maybe put
          a 2nd hdd in (doesn't have to be huge) and boot from a
          floppy when you want Linux... or put a removable hdd
          kit in, or if you'd only run Linux occassionally, and the pc
          is easy to get into, just swap hard drives when you want
          to run Linux.

          Anyways, maybe a few options for you.

          Fred Johnston (Canada).

          To: partman@yahoogroups.com
          From: Dermot Moynihan <dermoyn@...>
          Date sent: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:44:27 +0100
          Subject: Re: [partman] Partitioning HP Pavilion ze5200
          Send reply to: partman@yahoogroups.com

          > At 00:33 01/10/2003 +0000, KS wrote:
          >
          > > I have a HP Pavilion ze5200. It has a
          > >pre-installed version of WindowsXPPro with lots of software and has a
          > >30GB hard disk.
          >
          > <snip>
          >
          > A second perusal indicates there might be a need for a postscript to what I
          > said earler:
          > Those words "pre-installed version" might just imply that you do not even
          > have the XP PRO CD - and a "Recovery CD" is not an adequate replacement. If
          > so, the cautions previously expressed are even more applicable. Speaking
          > plainly: Don't do it.
          >

          > --

        • Rahul Gupta
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
            Yeah i also agree to everone comment on the issue. Especially, "Recovery CD"
            is not of all that use except installation of winxp.

            Backup and then cut short the parttion before proceeding...

            Rahul
            I am new to this group. I have a HP Pavilion ze5200. It has a
            pre-installed version of WindowsXPPro with lots of software and has a
            30GB hard disk. As a Linux enthusiastic, I would like to make room for
            this without a reinstall or using fdisk. Is there any advice from the
            experts. I know HP sucks since it has a separate partition for the
            boot loader and I dont want to get in trouble. I have used fdisk
            before with Toshiba and did a clean dual boot but I dont have the
            courage with HP since it is a pretty new machine. I cant go for
            Partition magic due to financial concerns.

            I appreciate any help

            KS

          • James M. DeLuca
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
              From: "kayamboosuresh" <kayamboosuresh@...>
              Hello folks I am new to this group.
              I have a HP Pavilion ze5200. It has a pre-installed version of WinXP Pro
              with lots of software and has a 30GB hard disk.

              As a Linux enthusiast, I would like to make room for this without
              a reinstall or using fdisk. Is there any advice from the experts.

              DOC CHIRON here:
              Fresh meat, good. I'm guessing you haven't been to the mandatory
              readying room! Its right next to the DETENTION room for folks who
              haven't scoured the archives of voluminous wisdom imparted on these
              very pages! THIS QUESTION IS AN OLD ONE! GET TO IT BOY!

              I know HP sucks since it has a separate partition for the
              boot loader and I dont want to get in trouble. I have used fdisk
              before with Toshiba and did a clean dual boot but I dont have the
              courage with HP since it is a pretty new machine. I cant go for
              Partition magic due to financial concerns.
              I appreciate any help. KS

              IT'S ALL THERE FOR YOU, HELP YOURSELF.
              Don't come back ti'l you've worked it out, then we'll party hearty!
              DOC Chiron

              Share your photos without swamping your Inbox. Get Hotmail Extra Storage