HELP ! I can no longer boot from hard disk

  • lekuku@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2001
      I own a HP pavilion 9780C (60Gb hard drive) and windows 98,
      everything already installed on only one partition. I used the
      partion manager v4.20 to shrink the big drive, and created additional
      2 extended DOS partion, each with 3 logical drives, and formated the
      drive inside the partition manager. I fired the PC and realized that
      only the shrinked initial partion is visible (drive C:), but my PC
      refused to boot from this partion. I learnt I have to insert a FAT 16
      partition as tha last partition. But the problem is anytime I try to
      load part.exe (even with the cwsdpmi.exe already executed) to correct
      this problem the computer freezes. I tried to use fdisk.exe to see
      and delete the partion, but fdisk saw none of the logical drives
      created, it refuses to delete the extended partions, and further
      refused to create any. I have reinstalled windows 98 several times
      later, but it refuses to boot. Please tell what to do.

      alex
    • Jibben Nee
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2001
        damn, that hurts.
        when you shrunk your only partition, was it still above the minimum?
        overwise, sorry to tell you, you're screwed w/o expensive software that may
        not work...