Re: [partman] RPM in XOSL and where to install

  • Rahul Gupta
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hello,

      >So Who to install RPM 243 in XOSL replacing his 238 version ?
      I dont think this is possible.... Wait for XOSL's New version.

      >2-wich solution choose.
      You can install xosl on a logical drive also and it requires no more than
      1MB but due to hard disk structure it has got to be 8MB if you want to
      install Linux in future. Else any size jut over 1MB will do.

      Hope this works,
      Rahul.
      ************
      Use, thoroughly updated version of "Windows installer". Installs windows
      100% automatically.
      It has some new features... And what more... Its 100% free...
      Visit: http://explosiveplanet.web1000.com
      ************

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2003
          maybe PRI part number is 4 so limit of possibility, but
          > with last Ranish 243 could add more PRI

          XSOL will only manage 4 primary partitions.

          Use extended parts. Or use RPM manually, or another (commercial) boot
          manager, BootStar for example .

          Alan
        • Dermot Moynihan
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2003
            At 15:22 01/08/2003 +0000, you wrote:
            >hi!
            >made multiboot for 2 different W98 systems on same HD with Ranish PM
            >240/243:
            >2 PRI in FAT 16 of 700 Mb for each W98.
            >1 EXT in FAT 32 LBA with 6 logic drives of 118 Gb
            >
            >installed 2 systems, no problem. All of two W98 work well when I boot
            >manually with Ranish: hidden PRI when not used, and 3 hidden logic
            >drives dedicated to the other W98.
            >
            >Now want to install XOSL as boot manager, so TWO questions:
            >
            >1-RPM version in XOSL 115 is 238. I used 240 and 243 (expect more
            >than 4 PRI partitions). So Who to install RPM 243 in XOSL replacing
            >his 238 version ?

            It can not be done.
            I use 243 from a floppy or I use it from the hard drive.
            Mind you, I still install the old RPM via XOSL just for the facility of
            being able to look around now and again without having to reboot.

            >2-wich solution choose.
            >A-Install XOSL on a Primary part (I created 200 Mb first in FAT 16 on
            >HD for DOS needs, so existed).
            >B-Install XOSL on a logic drive (maybe in modify my last created
            >drive of 5 Gb: cut it in 2 drives, one of them could be only 10 Mb
            >for XOSL)

            B.
            But 10MB might be a bit small. I've given it 32MB. And that might be a bit
            large but doesn't do any harm.
            One thing I've found about XOSL is to make sure that the area of the hard
            drive you are putting it on is where you want to keep it. It seems to
            object strongly to being moved.

            >XOSL text files says "DOS drive install recommended".

            I believe (though not certain) this isn't "recommended" anymore. Though
            it's certainly still possible.
            I have XOSL on a QNY 4.x dedicated logical partition (32MB) made with
            Ranish. The handy thing about QNY 4.x is that it doesn't give the option to
            be hidden. And doesn't need to be. Nothing sems to recognise it but XOSL
            works very well from it.

            >Somebody says problems if on a dedicated part so logic is better:

            Dedicated and logical are not opposites.
            As I've mentioned, I have XOSL on a dedicated logical.

            >but
            >what problem:

            no idea

            >Somebody says always install in Primary FAT 16 part at beginning of
            >HD.

            Advantage: It might be handy if you are like me and every now and again
            think it might be a good idea to enlarge a partition but find the XOSL
            partition is in the way and as I've said moving it seems to destroy things.
            Having XOSL at the very beginning gets it out of the way.

            Disadvantage: Wastes a Primary.

            All the best
            Dermot