Computer gets stuck at "verifying DMI pool data..." it leaves no

  • mehlng <mehlng@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
      Computer gets stuck at "verifying DMI pool data..." it leaves no
      message just keep the same text screen without any warning or error
      message, as it won't even boot from floppy I suspect a hardware
      problem.
      My questions are:
      1. What is the "DMI pool data" it verifies?
      2. What can be the problem and how can it be solved - any ideas?

      BTW
      how can I reset bios (for forgotten BIOS password) with nowadays
      modern motherboards?

      Thanks in Advance
    • Greg M
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
        On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 12:53:15 -0000, "mehlng <mehlng@...>"
        <mehlng@...> wrote:

        >Computer gets stuck at "verifying DMI pool data..." it leaves no
        >message just keep the same text screen without any warning or error
        >message, as it won't even boot from floppy I suspect a hardware
        >problem.
        >My questions are:
        >1. What is the "DMI pool data" it verifies?
        >2. What can be the problem and how can it be solved - any ideas?
        >
        >BTW
        >how can I reset bios (for forgotten BIOS password) with nowadays
        >modern motherboards?

        Remove the battery. Or find the jumper for the cmos.
        --
        Greg
      • Dermot Moynihan
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
          Microsoft lightly covers this issue in
          http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q287553

          It explains that the "Desktop Management Interface (DMI) is a method for
          managing computers in an organization. The main component, Management
          Information Format Database (MIFD), is a database that contains all the
          information about the local computer and its components."

          But all Microsoft says about DMI trouble is that "it's a hardware problem."

          A more thorough article at http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm
          lists six specific reasons for a DMI problem:

          Corrupt boot files on the computer.
          Settings for hard disk drive are not correct.
          Boot devices not set properly.
          BIOS corrupt or misc. setting not set properly.
          Connections loose or disconnected.
          Bad Hard disk drive or other bad hardware.

          The above article also goes on to suggest fixes for DMI Pool problems; it's
          a good read.

          Lots more info here, too:
          http://www.google.com/search?q=DMI+Pool+Data

          All the above was taken from
          http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-08-26.htm

          By the way, I found it by doing a Google search for the following:

          Computer gets stuck at "verifying DMI pool data..."
          Contrary to what James thinks many of us always turn to Google first
          ;)

          Happy New Year everybody.
          Or at least all non-politicians.
          Gotta draw the line somewhere.

          Kind regards
          Dermot

          At 12:53 01/01/03, you wrote:

          >Computer gets stuck at "verifying DMI pool data..." it leaves no
          >message just keep the same text screen without any warning or error
          >message, as it won't even boot from floppy I suspect a hardware
          >problem.
          >My questions are:
          >1. What is the "DMI pool data" it verifies?
          >2. What can be the problem and how can it be solved - any ideas?
          >
          >BTW
          >how can I reset bios (for forgotten BIOS password) with nowadays
          >modern motherboards?
          >
          >Thanks in Advance
          >

          >--
        • Dermot Moynihan
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
            Here's another possibility:
            Your system might be trying to boot from your extended without there
            actually being a bootable partition on there. i.e. make your primary active.
            However if you can't boot from a floppy this cld be difficult to sort
            out. Try different boot disks i.e. made with different OSes.
            When you say it won't boot from a floppy have you checked to see if during
            the post it even checks to see if the Floppy drive works (i.e. does the
            floppy drive light come on?)?
            Also, have a think about what changes you made to your system since it last
            worked.
            Dermot

            > >Computer gets stuck at "verifying DMI pool data..." it leaves no
            > >message just keep the same text screen without any warning or error
            > >message, as it won't even boot from floppy I suspect a hardware
            > >problem.
            > >My questions are:
            > >1. What is the "DMI pool data" it verifies?
            > >2. What can be the problem and how can it be solved - any ideas?

          • James M. DeLuca
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2003
              >From: "mehlng <mehlng@...>" <mehlng@...>
              >Computer gets stuck at "verifying DMI pool data..." it leaves no message
              >just keep the same text screen without any warning or error message, as it
              >won't even boot from floppy I suspect a hardware problem.
              >
              >My questions are:
              >1. What is the "DMI pool data" it verifies?
              >2. What can be the problem and how can it be solved - any ideas?

              Doc Chiron here:
              RTFM Your system manual should tell you about DMI.
              The following web search turned up lots of answers
              (learn to do your own web searches, it's not hard): I recommend GOOGLE.
              http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&q=%22desktop+management+interface%22&spell=1
              Here is MORE than you really wanted to know about DMI (Compaq is big on
              DMI!)
              Desktop Management Interface Specification
              DSP0001 Version 2.0s June 24, 1998
              http://www.dmtf.org/standards/documents/DMI/DSP0001.pdf

              This search based on "DMI pool data" returned these results, start reading!
              http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=%22DMI+pool+data%22

              >BTW: how can I reset bios (for forgotten BIOS password) with nowadays
              >modern motherboards?

              RTFM Your system manual should tell you about resetting CMOS.
              It always involves moving a jumper on the system (aka motherboard).
              Only your mfr's doc's can tell you. Your bootup screen (hit PAUSE quick)
              usually identifies the motherboard make & model. Check the tech support
              portions of their website for the identification of the specific jumper.
              It is often but not always near the backup battery.

              DOC CHIRON

              Thanks in Advance

              http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
            • James M. DeLuca
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2003
                Dermot says:
                Contrary to what James thinks, many of us always turn to Google first ;)

                I enjoy it when you call me 'Doc':
                Those of you who use GOOGLE or other search tools regularly,
                (you know who you are, and we're taking names...)
                know that you can OFTEN but not ALWAYS get your own answers
                quickly that way.
                It just galls me when I can take their question and put it
                verbatim (or selectively) into any decent search engine and
                get "instant gratification". I'd rather help folks that show
                they've made an effort to help themselves rather than DUMPING
                their problems here. I get paid good money to do this in
                "THE REAL WORLD".

                "Happy New Year"
                Doc Chiron
                P.S. Read you manuals folks! Really, its not ALL rocket science,
                often just "dry & boring".

              • James M. DeLuca
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 2, 2003
                  Doc Chiron here:
                  I go along with the idea that paring down your system to just:
                  memory (single bank), kybd, graphics adapter (aka video card),
                  monitor and floppy and bootable diskette. If you can't run DOS
                  (or Win9x startup diskette) you're in trouble!

                  ***Take the usual static protection measures. Ground yourself to
                  the system chassis BEFORE removing the AC cord, etc.***

                  There's been plenty of times I've benefitted from just removing
                  all the cards and memory SIMMS/DIMMS and using a lint-free cloth
                  and ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL to clean the exposed contacts on the
                  plug-in boards. Although most boards have gold contacts,
                  I've seen many SIMMS/DIMMS w/ tinned contacts instead!
                  There are reported problems mixing gold & tinned contacts with
                  the opposite contact type. Somme SIMM/DIMM mobo sockets are tinned.
                  Using good quality memory bds w/ gold contacts can result in corrosion.
                  But usually just a good cleaning does wonders. While you're at it,
                  clean out all the dust bunnies from the cards and power supply.

                  ALso, if your power supply fan is starting to squeal, the label
                  over the non-rotating center hub of the fan conceals access to
                  the fan bearings. In a pinch, often a small screwdriver can poke
                  a hole through it so you can add a drop of oil. If the fan doesn't
                  quiet down, then it's the opposite side bearing that is noisy
                  requiring disassembly of the P.S. Replacement fans are cheap
                  and not hard to replace. But then again it seems cases w/
                  power supply are almost the same price!

                • Dermot Moynihan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 2, 2003
                    >I go along with the idea that paring down your system to just:
                    >memory (single bank), kybd, graphics adapter (aka video card),
                    >monitor

                    I find that a processor doesn't do any harm either.
                    And as it's the time of year for extravagance:
                    a motherboard, power supply, heat sink and fan can help things along a bit.
                    And, what the hell, might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb, a case and
                    a bit of electric wouldn't go amiss.

                    > and floppy and bootable diskette.

                    Both?
                    A trifle too much floppiness? Perhaps the effect of too much Xmas spirit?

                    Dermot

                  • James M. DeLuca
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 2, 2003
                      DOC CHIRON here:
                      Hello Dermot:
                      >I find that a processor doesn't do any harm either.
                      >And as it's the time of year for extravagance:
                      >a motherboard, power supply, heat sink and fan can help things along a bit.
                      >And, what the hell, might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb, a case and
                      >a bit of electric wouldn't go amiss.

                      What part of "paring down" didn't you get?
                      Ahhh! Doing a wee bit of celebrating are we?

                      >and floppy [drive] and bootable diskette.
                      Both? A trifle too much floppiness? Perhaps the effect of too much Xmas
                      spirit?

                      Would it be correct to say you're " 'aving me on a bit" ?

                      DOC CHIRON

                      http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
                    • maya iyer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 2, 2003
                        I wrote a program that prints ascii characters using
                        bios calls only..compiled it into a .com program,
                        wrote it into the first sector of a floppy(with the
                        signature AA55) and tried booting.The program is
                        supposed to relocates itself to 0600 and terminates
                        with int 3.
                        But this doent work, the computer hangs after
                        verifying DMI pool.What might have been the problem?
                        Thankyou for the help,
                        Maya.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 3, 2003
                          At 02:39 03/01/03, you wrote:

                          >Ahhh! Doing a wee bit of celebrating are we?

                          That's a dreadful slur on my character. Hic! Me celebrating. Hic! No way. Hic!

                          > >and floppy [drive] and bootable diskette.
                          > >Both? A trifle too much floppiness? Perhaps the effect of too much Xmas
                          > >spirit?
                          >
                          >Would it be correct to say you're " 'aving me on a bit" ?

                          Moi?
                          Perish the thought.
                          And all who sail in her.