Re: [partman] unable to combine my partitions please help

  • Dermot Moynihan
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
      I'm not too sure I understand all of this but the main bit seems to be that
      you want to divide up your 20GB h/d into two partitions - one for W98se and
      the other for Linux. Or is it that you want to just install windows?
      It's a wee bit obscure.
      Anyway, you say you want to start off with a blank h/d. Which is not a bad
      idea. However it doesn't have to be the same as the way it was coming from
      the factory if you simply want to partition it. Removing the old partitions
      pretty much removes everything, as far as I know. Maybe some kind soul will
      correct me if I'm wrong.
      Anyway, I'll tell you what I would do.
      First, I'd check the BIOS to see if it was detecting the full 20GB.
      Then, I'd use RPM (part.exe) to see what it detected. Download it and put
      part.exe on a bootable floppy. If there were partitions showing up I would
      delete them. In fact, I would delete everything I could. I've yet to come
      across a partition that RPM could not delete. Save MBR, exit program and
      reboot.
      Run RPM again just to check that your changes have held. Make your new
      partition(s) as you desire. Format them, save them and exit. Reboot and
      check that changes have held.
      Out of interest you could use fdisk (yuck!) to now see what it has detected.
      But don't use fdisk to make any changes, not even formatting.
      This is an opportunity to play, sorry, experiment, with RPM. In my
      experience you can do no harm messing with an empty h/d with RPM. So, see
      this as an opportunity rather than the great disaster you seem to be
      experiencing it as at the moment.
      This period experimenting with RPM will. surely,stand you in good stead later.
      And try to keep things in perspective: We tend to get a bit overexcited
      about our computers. It's worth bearing in mind what Noam Chomsky says
      about how half the world doesn't even have electricity.
      By the way, if you ever again decide to have a multiboot put LInux on last.
      W98 tends to overwrite the MBR.
      Speaking of MBRs you could do worse than learning to use mbrtool.exe (do a
      search for it on the Web). Saving that as a file means you also save the
      partition table (that's the thing that RPM shows when you run it.) It's on
      the MBR along with other stuff I'm not too sussed on.
      I hope I've understood your question.
      Good luck.
      Let us know how it goes.

      Kind regards
      Dermot

      At 06:56 30/11/02, you wrote:
      >Dear Sir,
      > this is a long letter but please help me.
      > previously i had both windows98 and mandrake linux working
      >good in my 20 gb harddisk.i removed my harddisk and after replacing
      >it found my windows working good but not the linux. so,i reinstalled
      >it and at the spur of the moment i made it use my whole disk. so i
      >lost my valuable data in windows.
      > sir now i want to make my each partition into a sigle one
      >and to install windows.
      >using fdisk i deleted the partition of 4 gb which had linux. now i am
      >unable to get it or atleast see it in fdisk status.then i formatted
      >the disk
      >and found only 11gb the remaining 5gb was in extended partition.
      > sir please help me .please sir. what all i want is to get
      >my hard disk into basic position which a new hard disk comes with so
      >that i can make the partions smoothly.
      > sir please reply me soon. thanking you very much
      >yours sincerely,
      >khalid jaffar
      >khalidjaffar@...
      >

      >--
    • gimmesomeadat
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
        --- In partman@y..., "khalidjaffar4u" <khalidjaffar4u@y...> wrote:

        > previously i had both windows98 and mandrake linux working
        > good in my 20 gb harddisk.i removed my harddisk and after replacing
        > it found my windows working good but not the linux. so,i
        reinstalled
        > it and at the spur of the moment i made it use my whole disk. so i
        > lost my valuable data in windows.
        > sir now i want to make my each partition into a sigle one
        > and to install windows.
        > using fdisk i deleted the partition of 4 gb which had linux. now i
        am
        > unable to get it or atleast see it in fdisk status.then i formatted
        > the disk
        > and found only 11gb the remaining 5gb was in extended partition.
        > sir please help me .please sir. what all i want is to
        get
        > my hard disk into basic position which a new hard disk comes with
        so
        > that i can make the partions smoothly.
        > sir please reply me soon. thanking you very much
        > yours sincerely,
        > khalid jaffar
        > khalidjaffar@r...

        khalid,

        I'd say that this would solve your problem, I'm in the middle of
        straightening out a situation pretty much identical to yours, and I'm
        using it. I seem to have gotten bits of the LILO boot loader *stuck*
        in my MBR, and this seems to have worked.

        This debug script from M$,

        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;106419

        will purge everything from the hdd's MBR area.

        Warning: If you want to get your, as you say, *valuable data*
        recovered, stop using the hdd. And look for recovery software before
        you do anything to that hdd.

        Data recovery software is available with Norton systemworks products
        and some free programs, slow but free, are available from Ontrack.com.

        I own Norton Systemworks 2002 and would recommend it, for certain
        recovery operations anyway. For the couple of times I've used it,
        it's fast and I've had good success.

        But if in fact, you installed Linux on the *whole* disk, you could be
        completed screwed. Recovery of data may require professional services
        of some sort. Although there are some products that can do that for
        the average user. Prices probably start around US$300-$500 if I
        recall correctly.
      • Dermot Moynihan
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
          On Sunday 01 December 2002 12:52, gimmesomeadat wrote:
          > --- In partman@y..., "khalidjaffar4u" <khalidjaffar4u@y...> wrote:
          > > previously i had both windows98 and mandrake linux working
          > > good in my 20 gb harddisk.i removed my harddisk and after replacing
          > > it found my windows working good but not the linux. so,i
          >
          > reinstalled
          >
          > > it and at the spur of the moment i made it use my whole disk. so i
          > > lost my valuable data in windows.
          > > sir now i want to make my each partition into a sigle one
          > > and to install windows.
          > > using fdisk i deleted the partition of 4 gb which had linux. now i
          >
          > am
          >
          > > unable to get it or atleast see it in fdisk status.then i formatted
          > > the disk
          > > and found only 11gb the remaining 5gb was in extended partition.
          > > sir please help me .please sir. what all i want is to
          >
          > get
          >
          > > my hard disk into basic position which a new hard disk comes with
          >
          > so
          >
          > > that i can make the partions smoothly.
          > > sir please reply me soon. thanking you very much
          > > yours sincerely,
          > > khalid jaffar
          > > khalidjaffar@r...
          >
          > khalid,
          >
          > I'd say that this would solve your problem, I'm in the middle of
          > straightening out a situation pretty much identical to yours, and I'm
          > using it. I seem to have gotten bits of the LILO boot loader *stuck*
          > in my MBR,

          to sort out the mbr you could try

          fdisk /mbr

          it's a damn sight easier than using debug.
          It should remove any traces of LILO and replace them with an MS mbr.

          > and this seems to have worked.
          >
          > This debug script from M$,
          >
          > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;106419
          >
          > will purge everything from the hdd's MBR area.
          >
          > Warning: If you want to get your, as you say, *valuable data*
          > recovered, stop using the hdd. And look for recovery software before
          > you do anything to that hdd.
          >
          > Data recovery software is available with Norton systemworks products
          > and some free programs, slow but free, are available from Ontrack.com.
          >
          > I own Norton Systemworks 2002 and would recommend it, for certain
          > recovery operations anyway. For the couple of times I've used it,
          > it's fast and I've had good success.
          >
          > But if in fact, you installed Linux on the *whole* disk, you could be
          > completed

          completely :)