Solaris 8 and Ranish Boot Partition Manager

  • Carroll Kong
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2000
      Hey guys, I have been using the Trombetti Technique with the ranish boot
      partition manager for a while now. So far it has been great, I have a FAT
      partition to boot off NT and Windows 2000. I also have a FreeBSD primary
      and two Linux primaries on a 6.4 gig IDE drive (primary).
      I want to add Solaris 8 x86 to the mix. However, after I successfully
      install it, and remove it's boot manager, trying to load directly into the
      partition seems to result in failure. In fact, one time I fried the entire
      MBR... (thank goodness I wrote down the MBR info and restored it easily!).
      Has anyone successfully installed Solaris 8 x86 in this kind of a
      setup? I wish we had an X86Boot partition option for the Ranish Boot
      partition manager, but I have no idea what the code is for it. The only
      time Solaris was remotely successful was when it took over my MBR with it's
      boot manager. Is the X86Boot partition -> Solaris partition analogous to
      the FAT partition needed to boot into -> NT partitions?
      Thanks in advance!

      -Carroll Kong
    • Mariusz Zynel
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2000
        Carroll Kong wrote:

        > Hey guys, I have been using the Trombetti Technique with the
        > ranish boot
        > partition manager for a while now. So far it has been great, I have a
        > FAT
        > partition to boot off NT and Windows 2000. I also have a FreeBSD
        > primary
        > and two Linux primaries on a 6.4 gig IDE drive (primary).

        You need one primary partition for Solaris. x86 Boot parttion
        is can be avoided during setup when the fdisk is presented. But
        you already have 4 pri partitions.

        > I want to add Solaris 8 x86 to the mix. However, after I
        > successfully
        > install it, and remove it's boot manager, trying to load directly into
        > the
        > partition seems to result in failure.

        There is no way to remove Solaris boot manager, unless you make
        changes directly to the first cylinder occupied by Solaris. Solaris
        boot manager is placed there, not in the MBR.

        > Has anyone successfully installed Solaris 8 x86 in this kind of
        > setup?

        I have Solaris 8, w2k and Linux on a single hdd.

        > I wish we had an X86Boot partition option for the Ranish Boot
        > partition manager, but I have no idea what the code is for it.

        ...and I'm using Ranish PM to boot all three oses. If you e.g.
        installed Solaris into, say 4-th partition, choose 4 in compact
        Ranish Loader. Simple.

        > Is the X86Boot partition -> Solaris partition analogous
        > to the FAT partition needed to boot into -> NT partitions?

        Yes. Indeed it is a pcfs (FAT) partition, with DCA installed on,
        as if it was a boot floppy.

        For more details on multibooting Solaris look at:
        http://math.uwb.edu.pl/~mariusz/multiboot/

        Hope it helps

        --
        .
        Mariusz Zynel University of Bialystok, Institute of Mathematics
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2000
          Thanks for the assistance! What I really need is solid answers, which you
          have given to me, so thank you for that. This is what I did, and this is
          why I thought otherwise.

          Here are some interesting notes.

          My IDE controller does not get picked up as a valid boot device during the
          Configuration Assisant because the plug n play says my sound blaster's ide
          channel will conflict. So it disables both of them. So I do not have an
          option to boot from my IDE drives for the kernel.

          I do have SCSI drives, but they should not make a difference. And I am
          able to identify which ones are scsi and ide successfully, so assume no
          user error. :)

          Maybe it is because the Configuration Assistant did not pick up the IDE
          drive, it gets very confused when I try to boot up. It believes there is
          no other choice and goes for the Net Boot. If that is the case, it is a
          matter of learning how to configure the Boot loader on solaris to boot to
          the right partition!

          So does this make sense? That solaris' boot slice is not configured to
          boot to the IDE drives (even though I did say to do so in the install?)? I
          always seem to get some "garbage" and also Intel PXE v2.00 DHCP MAC
          search... which looks like a Net Boot attempt. I am using the Text Mode
          instead of the compact mode. The result should be the same, however.

          -Carroll Kong