Secondary List of CPAN Distributions with XS: Automatic Builds

  • James E Keenan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2010
    I have completed the arduous process of traversing my minicpan for
    the purpose of identifying distributions with XS that will build
    successfully under either ExtUtils::MakeMaker or Module::Build
    running in a completely automated mode.

    I am attaching 3 files which will be accessible through the
    Attachments feature of our Yahoo! Groups site. Here are the files
    and the number of distros in each:

    691 success.builds.txt
    675 failed.builds.txt
    87 skipped.builds.txt
    1453 total

    success => exit code 0 from 'make' or './Build'
    failed => non-0 exit code from 'perl Makefile.PL', 'make', 'perl
    Build.PL' or './Build' -- but those programs nonetheless completed
    without human intervention
    skipped => distributions which I had to Ctrl-C to shut off. In most
    cases, they prompt the user for a command-line setting. That may be
    nice, but it means they won't build automatically without resorting
    to fancier code than I wanted to bother with.

    Next problem needing tackling: How to build the *same* distribution
    twice -- once with the 'system' 'make' pointing to the
    ExtUtils::ParseXS that came with the 'system' perl -- and once with a
    'make' which points to our hacked-up, refactored version of EUPXS.

    Thank you very much.
    Jim Keenan
  • David Golden
    Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2010
      That's a lot of failed builds. Fortunately, you only need to keep that from getting *worse*.  :-)

      -- David

      [Attachment(s) from James E Keenan included below]

      Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2010
        On Mar 5, 2010, at 11:05 AM, David Golden wrote:

        > That's a lot of failed builds. Fortunately, you only need to keep
        > that from getting *worse*. :-)

        Actually, I don't view that as a problem. I'm not really surprised
        about these failures because I was adopting a position of not
        installing any prerequisites, whether from CPAN or from external
        libraries. And the point of a lot of distributions with XS is to
        wrap around external C libraries. What we needed was a list of
        distros with XS that build automatically and correctly with the
        current EUPXS; now we have it.

        jimk