A Cartoon Mouse Is A Sacred Cow!

  • Caeser
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2008
      This is a great example of how conformists people are. This is from a
      music director of a college radio station. My response is below it.

      Hi,

      We did receive Caeser Pink and the Imperial Orgy. We are in the midst of
      deciding whether or not to expose our listenership to a band who places
      Mickey portrayed as a nazi on the cover of their CD. Though this could
      be seen as a band "sticking it to the man," we seem to prefer to not
      support that type of design.

      The reason we're still deciding is that we actually don't mind the
      music, but again, it's the image that our station holds that we
      currently care about. Shallow as it may be, its something to consider.

      Best,
      Amber
      The Music Department
      88.
      5 WFCF -Flagler College
      "Radio With a Reason"

      My Response:

      Hi Amber,

      I don't think it's a matter of sticking it to the man, it's a question
      of a massive corporation's ability to control the media and the culture
      in a manner that dumbs down society. The Disney empire has played a
      large role in defining cultural taste in recent years through their
      movie, TV and radio networks, and by putting mickey mouse club teen
      idols into the forefront of American culture. We must ask what this
      means. What message does the music of Britney Spears, N- Sync, Christine
      Aguilara, and Hannah Montana send to people? If artists are always
      non-political, and only speak about sex, romance, and materialistic
      concerns, this effects the values of the people who listen to it. Music
      is an artform with which to communicate ideas. But those ideas can only
      be heard if the artist has access to media. When corporations like
      Disney control so much media and filter the message that can be
      communicated, in practical terms it amounts to censorship and
      social-brainwashing. And if a cartoon mouse is such a sacred idol that
      it is above criticism, our society really is in trouble.

      Caeser