Paris CafŽ IRC will be Temporarily Unavailable.

  • zipzamzerpople
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2005
      Hi Guys,

      This is just a quick message to let you all know that the server
      owner from Auzchat, Vernon, who hosts our IRC room, has met a
      brick wall in his dealings with another co-founder and
      'registered' domain owner. As a result of this long niggling issue,
      He has decided to pull the pin on the server, and leave the
      registered domain owner to follow their chosen path. In my
      support of Vernon's move and his reasonings, as well as my
      dealings with this particular co-founder, I have removed the
      webpage from the domain (as webmaster and copyright owner)
      and as a result the Java applet which many paris people used to
      chat in the paris cafe room, no longer exists. Paris CafŽ will be
      temporarily unavailable until I have found a new hostshell and
      ircd.

      all this comes at a price, and for us, the sad thing is the irc will
      be unavailable for a while. I will endeavour to keep you updated
      on the process of finding a more stable non-political host for our
      chat.

      As LJ was playing up when I posted a mammoth amount of text
      regarding the exact proposition and happenings, I will respond
      to any queries people may have regarding such, on this site
      through the messageboard.

      I would also like those who havent posted in a while, and who
      are members, to come forth with their ideas as to whether Paris
      cafe should remain a 'closed' community or whether we should
      look towards expanding our appeal to more than the Arts &
      Literature communities.

      Arts & Literature chat seems to be non-existent in recent times,
      so if people have invested interest in other issues / topics /
      domains, please let us all know, and we may be able to adapt or
      accomodate these ideas / suggestions in with our next move.

      I am anticipating a nil response from this, which is exactly NOT
      what I want. Seriously guys, if you have suggestions, ideas, or
      even remain non-commital about the whole Paris CafŽ thing, I
      need to know. Shell's cost money, and if there is no demand for
      it, obviously it's not economical to fund such a thing from my own
      hip pocket.

      It's been nearly 10 years since Paris CafŽ was founded. Very few
      of us remain. This is partially due to several Mergers, takeovers
      and many peoples lack of enthusiasm. In a last ditch effort to
      see us make 10 years of Paris CafŽ, I would like to see an
      honest show of hands from people who would like to see it
      continue as an avenue of communicaton, whether it be in
      messenger, in chat or in it's own right as a domain.

      So.... please let us know, by posting a message in reply to this.
      thankyou.

      Ciao!

      Z.
    • d_e_l_i_r_i_u_m_m
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2005
        ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i still live here. the old maid of p-chat, i am.

        --- In pariscafegeo@yahoogroups.com, zipzamzerpople <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys,
        >
        > This is just a quick message to let you all know that the server
        > owner from Auzchat, Vernon, who hosts our IRC room, has met a
        > brick wall in his dealings with another co-founder and
        > 'registered' domain owner. As a result of this long niggling issue,
        > He has decided to pull the pin on the server, and leave the
        > registered domain owner to follow their chosen path. In my
        > support of Vernon's move and his reasonings, as well as my
        > dealings with this particular co-founder, I have removed the
        > webpage from the domain (as webmaster and copyright owner)
        > and as a result the Java applet which many paris people used to
        > chat in the paris cafe room, no longer exists. Paris CafŽ will be
        > temporarily unavailable until I have found a new hostshell and
        > ircd.
        >
        > all this comes at a price, and for us, the sad thing is the irc will
        > be unavailable for a while. I will endeavour to keep you updated
        > on the process of finding a more stable non-political host for our
        > chat.
        >
        > As LJ was playing up when I posted a mammoth amount of text
        > regarding the exact proposition and happenings, I will respond
        > to any queries people may have regarding such, on this site
        > through the messageboard.
        >
        > I would also like those who havent posted in a while, and who
        > are members, to come forth with their ideas as to whether Paris
        > cafe should remain a 'closed' community or whether we should
        > look towards expanding our appeal to more than the Arts &
        > Literature communities.
        >
        > Arts & Literature chat seems to be non-existent in recent times,
        > so if people have invested interest in other issues / topics /
        > domains, please let us all know, and we may be able to adapt or
        > accomodate these ideas / suggestions in with our next move.
        >
        > I am anticipating a nil response from this, which is exactly NOT
        > what I want. Seriously guys, if you have suggestions, ideas, or
        > even remain non-commital about the whole Paris CafŽ thing, I
        > need to know. Shell's cost money, and if there is no demand for
        > it, obviously it's not economical to fund such a thing from my own
        > hip pocket.
        >
        > It's been nearly 10 years since Paris CafŽ was founded. Very few
        > of us remain. This is partially due to several Mergers, takeovers
        > and many peoples lack of enthusiasm. In a last ditch effort to
        > see us make 10 years of Paris CafŽ, I would like to see an
        > honest show of hands from people who would like to see it
        > continue as an avenue of communicaton, whether it be in
        > messenger, in chat or in it's own right as a domain.
        >
        > So.... please let us know, by posting a message in reply to this.
        > thankyou.
        >
        > Ciao!
        >
        > Z.
      • artimis_geo
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2005
          I am also still alive and rather like having Paris around. :)
          I never used the chat much because there were hardly ever people in it
          at the times I could be online, but I would very much like this
          message board to remain. I don't know how many of you really know me
          and honestly I don't know much about many of you, but for some reason
          I enjoy knowing that you are all out there and living your lives. I
          like hearing the good news and the bad. Paris Cafe is one of those
          rare internet groups were the people involved truely seem to care
          about one another. I may not show up here much, but I do check in
          every few weeks to see what's new.

          Hrm, while I'm at it, I suppose I could give you all a mini update on
          my life.
          I'm going to be graduating with my bachelors degree in history this
          fall. I got engaged to my boyfriend of five years, Phil, on Dec.
          29th. I still work at a crappy low paying job and don't get out as
          much as I like because I have so much homework.

          Tada! The past year in a nutshell.
          It's crazy that I've been involved in Paris since I was a high school
          freshman. Weird, almost nine years now.

          Love you all,
          Artimis/Artie/Cory
        • geodragonlady1159
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2005
            Hey!!!
            I'm still around. Please lets keep this Paris thing going. We were and
            are a special bunch of friends that didn't let the end of geocities
            end the friendships we all shared.. don't let it end now!
            Look what we have all gone thru together.. supporting each other when
            things were bad and sharing laughs when things were good and even when
            they were bad. I know ya'll kept me going thru a really bad time.
            THIS group more than any other I have known in person or on the
            internet has done so much for me in terms of helping me get thru what
            was a really nasty time for me and look at me now. Most of you saw ol
            drags go from sad drags to now very happy drags. I now have a great
            man that loves me and treasures me more than i ever thought possible.
            ;) yup still with my redneck and its been a year!!!
            that said... i'd really like us to have a room where we could set a
            date and time frame and get together every few months. I really do
            miss everyone. and tho i do monitor Kayley's Korner in Talk City(feel
            free to drop in and say hi) i do get free time to chat elsewhere.
            and not to blow Talk City's horn they do have mirc capabilities as
            well as java chat and a room cost $50 a year. I'd pitch in a few bucks
            just to see us all together again!
            Bottom line is don't give up on us we are still(in our hearts) the
            family from Paris Cafe.

            Love
            drags
            PS I'm going to rework the site i have that has all the paris chatters
            pics on it... moving some pics to a new section called 'where are they
            now?' maybe we will find a few lost friends!

          • hissyfit_1999
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2005
              I think it might be a good idea to open it up to arts and lit.....As
              you said, our numbers have dwindeled and I am guilty of not posting
              very much. But I'm home all day now, I shall try my hardest to post
              at least weekly lol.
            • o_planet_o
              Message 6 of 7 , May 10, 2005
                yeah count me in zip