Re: [paripu] SL Bound

  • Anna Jones
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1 11:12 AM
      Thanks,Peter!  I will fill you in on fundraising quickly: we did an email appeal, (about 15K)  a $250/plate rice & curry feast at a friend's fancy downtown loft (about $10K) and a benefit concert (about $5K) at a local club... We are working with Sarvodaya to distribute $$ -- we want to build houses equally for Tamils, Sinhalese and Muslims --- they are helping us ID villages and families.  They have been really helpful here (sarvodaya USA) and my husband has visited with them in Moratuwa and will help on the ground.
      It has been a great way to try and reconcile the feelings of helplessness by being far away...Will keep you informed of our progress!!
      Anna

      Peter McMinn <petemcminn@...> wrote:
      How exciting! What an impressive package--please fill us in on your
      fund-raising strategies.  How will you be managing this money, and to
      what end? How old are your kids and what will they be doing? Please
      keep us informed.

      You can obtain an application to crisis corps by emailing them at
      Crisiscorps@... . Once you're in their database, they send
      you status updates on the program you apply for.

      Peter

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Marjorie Jeanchild
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1 12:34 PM
        Re: [paripu] SL Bound Anna,
        The work you are doing is fantastic!  Congrats on the energy you put into raising the funds and enjoy your time in Sri Lanka distributing the funds.

        Margo Jeanchild

        From: Anna Jones <annainsrilanka@...>
        Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:12:24 -0800 (PST)
        To: paripu@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [paripu] SL Bound

[...]

        Better first dates. More second dates. Yahoo! Personals <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=27808/*http://personals.yahoo.com>

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David lennon
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3 5:43 PM
          Hello Everyone,
          Well I just have returned from Sri Lanka, after spending a week and a lot of
          time down south. You may have recently watched a CNN story about the
          recovery and comparning Sri Lanka and Phukett in Thailand. It is VERY
          accurate.
          I have to say I was profoundly dissapointed and dismayed by most of the Sri
          Lankans I met during this trip!

          I was in SL when the tsunami hit, and it has been three months and almost
          nothing has been done! NOTHING! The entire coast looks as if the tsunami hit
          yesterday. When you compare that to the Thai's in Phukett, it is
          astounding. With no, or little government support the Thai community cleaned
          and rebuilt so tourists will return. In Sri Lanka next to nothing has been
          done. While I was there a radio news story spoke of how Chandrika
          (president) announced her country hadn't received any international aid! And
          then the next story item was how the treasury had so much money they were
          waiting for the central government to clear it and designate it for
          projects! The overall feeling among most people I met and spoke to is that
          they are waiting. Waiting for everything. Waiting for aid, waiting for the
          government to organize something, waiting for volunteers. Waiting. I
          didn't see any organized cleaning effort! Nothing, other then large groups
          of young men sitting around playing Carrum and drinking! I have also
          spoken to some local NGOs who have been working in some of the hardest hit
          areas, and they agreed with what I observed and they mentioned that often
          the foriegn relief workers would be working alone, while the village
          watched! There seems to be a pervasive feeling among many of the locals
          that someone should come clean up for them. So my trip back was a hard hit
          in the face. I was expecting a lot of devistation, but also thought I would
          see a resiliancy and community spirit....and even people cleaning. Nothing!
          Absolutely nothing, and I have never seen so much trash and litter spread
          over the entire southern coast. As for money to NGOS. I would go near any
          NGO that has to go through the central government. NO WAY! Go to locals
          directly. Recently, a group of students from my school in Singapore went to
          Lanka and volunteered in one of the warehouses sorting parcels.

          I will be returning in July and also plan on helping out with orphaned
          children.

          A sad day in Lanka!

          >From: Marjorie Jeanchild <jeanchild@...>
          >To: <paripu@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [paripu] SL Bound
          >Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:34:15 -0600
          >
          >Anna,
          >The work you are doing is fantastic! Congrats on the energy you put into
          >raising the funds and enjoy your time in Sri Lanka distributing the funds.
          >
          >Margo Jeanchild
          >
          >From: Anna Jones <annainsrilanka@...>
          >Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:12:24 -0800 (PST)
          >To: paripu@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [paripu] SL Bound
          >

          >Thanks,Peter! I will fill you in on fundraising quickly: we did an email
          >appeal, (about 15K) a $250/plate rice & curry feast at a friend's fancy
          >downtown loft (about $10K) and a benefit concert (about $5K) at a local
          >club... We are working with Sarvodaya to distribute $$ -- we want to build
          >houses equally for Tamils, Sinhalese and Muslims --- they are helping us ID
          >villages and families. They have been really helpful here (sarvodaya USA)
          >and my husband has visited with them in Moratuwa and will help on the
          >ground.
          >It has been a great way to try and reconcile the feelings of helplessness
          >by
          >being far away...Will keep you informed of our progress!!
          >Anna
          >
          >Peter McMinn <petemcminn@...> wrote:
          >How exciting! What an impressive package--please fill us in on your
          >fund-raising strategies. How will you be managing this money, and to
          >what end? How old are your kids and what will they be doing? Please
          >keep us informed.
          >
          >You can obtain an application to crisis corps by emailing them at
          >Crisiscorps@... . Once you're in their database, they send
          >you status updates on the program you apply for.
          >
          >Peter
          >

          >Do you Yahoo!?
          >Better first dates. More second dates. Yahoo! Personals
          ><http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=27808/*http://personals.yahoo.com>
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >To visit your group on the web, go to:

          >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
          ><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Block pop-up ads with MSN Toolbar. http://toolbar.msn.com.my/
        • David lennon
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 4 8:39 PM
            Another bit of feedback from my recent visit.

            Again, I know you are all RPCVs and can relate to the frustrations we all
            faced while working in Sri Lanka, but by no means did those frustrations
            dampen my love for that country! I go to Sri Lanka three times a year. I am
            lucky! Living in Singapore gives me very close proximity. I am only three
            hours away by plane. I do not want you to misinterpret my last email about
            my dismay with the lack of progress after the tsunami.

            Here are some other things I observed:
            Gale looked great! That was the one area that was really rebuilt.
            Unawatnue, however, looked destroyed! It was very sad, and may places were
            piles of rubble. In fact areas of the entire beach were washed away and the
            water comes up to the jungle. Again in that area I saw only a few hotels
            being rebuilt. And many people still feared looting as well! If you are
            familiar with the Three Fishes, or The Secret Garden....The Three Fishes was
            completely destroyed! The Secret Garden was lucky, their wall was destroyed
            but they have already rebuilt it. The house itself was spared but all the
            furniture inside was destroyed. The garden is no longer there. All sand. I
            will post some pictures I took.

            Hikkaduwa- on our drive to Unawatune we stopped in Hikkaduwa...it was hit
            pretty bad. Rohan's place was empty, and the wall in front of his guest
            house was destroyed and the guest house sustained a lot of damage. His
            restaurant was hurt badly as well. It was empty, and he was at his new home
            he built. He was fine.

            Another interesting story from many Lankans was how grateful they were for
            the help from the US Marines. They basically re-built Gale road in the south
            and helped open many bridges that were damaged. They were asked to leave
            because of protests in parliament from the JVP and the Buddhist Monk
            party.... too many eyes and questions of where is all the aid? Who can
            tell, all I know is from what I heard they were ready to stay for the long
            haul and help with the recovery effort.

            When I was in Negombo in Feb. there were many american flags being flown by
            local businesses. This last trip there were none.

            Again I will be going back in July. If anyone is there, or going with the
            Crisis Corps get a hold of me!
            Cheers,
            Matthew Turner

            Block pop-up ads with MSN Toolbar. http://toolbar.msn.com.my/
          • Paiva, Cheryl H
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 4 11:43 PM
              Since I supervise the Procurement section here at the Embassy, we had this
              great opportunity to work a little bit with the U.S Marines - Disaster
              relief team - and provide them with sources for various services & supplies,
              when they were here in January. The Marines were responsible for repairing
              roads, and helped a lot with the clearing up.

              Yesterday, met briefly with the Admin person who is here to set up Crisis
              Corps. He was asking about contracts that the Embassy already has that
              PC/Crisis Corps could also use to establish contracts for required
              services&supplies. Sounds like Crisis corps is falling into place.

              Cheryl Paiva - (Former APCD/Admin - PC/SL)
              Supervisor - Contracting & Leasing
              American Embassy Colombo
              Tel: 94-011-2448007
              Fax: 94-011-2431107
[...]

            • Sirini Jayawardene
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 5 11:25 PM
                Hi Everyone

                Matt you are right. But there is one problem which exist in Sri Lanka.

                People are prohibited to build houses in the 100m Zone and a 200m Zone in the south and the east.

                So, to start your life, they need to know where they should go.  If the govt allowed peple to go the same area

                most of them would have made their little hut and started their lives.  But when with each high wave you run for your life

                it is difficult for people to get out of that trauma.

                I live in the 50m range.  With each warning, I move out of my house.  I spent an enormous sum of money to build my house

                and I cannot sell it or insure it now.  Luckily the waves did not come in , in our area.  But the fear is always there. I have

                run thrice. and moved out of my house twice.  But still I live there. We cannot run away from nature's disasters.  It could be a landslide

                or anything else next time. Who knows !

                The people who experienced the Tusnami have given up.  That is why they dont clean up. They think, when another quake happens

                the same thing will happen. And it looks the running will go on for a while.  They know the Marines did almost everything.

                The Govt did not do anything.  Dont blame the people, they all have lost atleast one family member,

                and they are sick of this country and life now.

                Sirini Jayawardene
                Manager-Administration
                Telephone-2463500-Ext 650

                "David lennon" <whitebottomboy@...>

                04/04/2005 06:43 AM

                Please respond to
                paripu@yahoogroups.com

                paripu@yahoogroups.com
                cc
                Subject
                Re: [paripu] SL Bound [Email Checked - APAC]

> [...]

                >Anna
                >
                >Peter McMinn <petemcminn@...> wrote:
                >How exciting! What an impressive package--please fill us in on your
                >fund-raising strategies.  How will you be managing this money,
                and to
                >what end? How old are your kids and what will they be doing? Please
                >keep us informed.
                >
                >You can obtain an application to crisis corps by emailing them at
                >Crisiscorps@... . Once you're in their database, they send
                >you status updates on the program you apply for.
                >
                >Peter
                >

                >Do you Yahoo!?
                >Better first dates. More second dates. Yahoo! Personals
                ><http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=27808/*http://personals.yahoo.com>
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links
                >To visit your group on the web, go to:

                >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service

                Give the gift of life to a sick child.
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/lGEjbB/6WnJAA/E2hLAA/r20olB/TM

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                The information contained in this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this email and then delete it from your system. Ernst & Young is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.
              • David lennon
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 6 6:27 AM
                  Thanks so much for your email Sirini, and again, please don't misconstrue my
                  email as blaming. It is more sadness. Yes, the government has said there is
                  a 100m zone...but they are not enforcing it. In fact the major hotels, who
                  are all within 100 meters, are rebuilding. Also, there are areas where
                  individuals are rebuilding. I visited several. What I am talking about is
                  exactly what you are describing. A sense of depression, and a sense of
                  resignation. It is interesting that the tents are all set up within 100 m
                  of the coast. In fact I was in Bentota when there was the second earthquake
                  and we were evacuated to a higher floor, and there was a general panic and
                  everyone was fleeing their tents. The next day they were back. There has
                  been a lot of talk about the 100m rule...but again it isn't being enforced.
                  Also, there has been several "temporary" housing built, within 100m of the
                  coast. Interestingly, a large portion of the shanty housing outside of
                  Colombo, in Dehewela, and outside of Kalutara, has been rebuilt. All within
                  100m of the coast in exactly the same place they were before the tsunami
                  destroyed them.

                  What dismayed me was how there didn't seem to be a sense of community and
                  drive to rebuild. For example, in Bentota the major income is generated by
                  tourists who come for the beaches. Yet, the beaches are strewn with rubble
                  and trash. And no one is cleaning. So much could be done to just clean.
                  School's can organize, people who are depressed and sitting around their
                  tents grieving can work. This helps relieve the sense of despair that will
                  never go away through being inactive. As a counselor this is a common method
                  used to bring people out of depression. Depression is fed by inaction and
                  loss of purpose. What I was proposing was that by banding together as a
                  community and helping to clean will give a sense of purpose.

                  Another example is Unawatune. The 100m law is obviously not being enforced
                  there. Several hotels are rebuilding, and there are several of the smaller
                  restaurants who are open. Yet, no one is cleaning the surrounding area.
                  Their restaurants are up and running, yet the jungle and beach area is
                  strewn with rubble and trash. Unawatune understands tourism is its life
                  blood.

                  I think the heart of the issue is that there is a pervasive sense of loss
                  and futility. Most people are angry with the government and unsure of what
                  to do. It is a sad state, and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it
                  took the coast 3-5 years to fully recover.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7 6:31 PM
                    Your e-mail breaks my heart. I am so sad that this is the case and that
                    Sri Lanka is not making the most of the outpouring of support they have
                    received. Wah!

                    Margo

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7 7:36 PM
                      Hi Marge!
                      Yeah, it was very sad. I was with a close friend of mine who lives in
                      Colombo, and we holiday a lot together in Sri Lanka...she drove her car and
                      after we returned we were numb. The entire next day we talked about what we
                      saw and how sad it was. The other thing that really struck me was the
                      entire stretch we drove we saw two pieces of heavy equipment and no one was
                      even in them! No dump trucks, tractors, nothing...
                      I am glad the Crisis Corps is going, perhaps they will be able to galvinize
                      the community into action...but it is sad it takes outsiders to inspire the
                      locals into action...
                      I will be going back in July after visiting my family in the states...will
                      keep you posted!
                      Are you still in Chicago? What are you up to now? How are you?
                      Take care,
                      Matthew

                    • Mike DeSisti
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 9 1:24 AM
                        Checking in on this conversation a bit belatedly having been in Trincomalee
                        for most of the last week:

                        - People who have been involved in relief/recovery activities throughout the
                        region (i.e. including Indonesia, south India, etc.) have consistently
                        commented positively on what Sri Lankans, on the whole, were able to do more
                        or less on their own in the days and weeks immediately following the
                        tsunami. This varied between and within regions, but in general this
                        observation was made repeatedly.
                        - Response in the South, which was more accessible and had more resources
                        available in the non-affected near vicinity, was notably different than in
                        the East, which was harder hit in terms of loss of life and infrastructure
                        damage relative to what was there before (i.e. East is less developed and
                        therefore, in $ terms, wasn't hit as hard -- but in terms of relative
                        infrastructure damage and human costs, it's a different story). Visible
                        progress in the South was noticeable from early on; in the East the recovery
                        has been slower.
                        - As a repeat visitor to the Sri Lankan southwest and eastern coasts
                        (particularly Ampara) over the last three months, the broad-brush change in
                        terms of cleared debris/rubble and restoration of essential infrastructure
                        has been dramatic from my perspective. Local community involvement in the
                        clean-up efforts has varied from region to region. USAID has supported
                        cash-for-work clean-up programs in the South and East, the former
                        complimenting US Marine efforts with heavy equipment and volunteer labor
                        from non-affected areas.
                        - Buffer zone regulations, and the difficulty of finding new land for
                        houses/other buildings that need to be relocated away from the coast, have
                        slowed bilateral/multilateral recovery efforts with regards to both
                        transitional and permanent housing. But those who can afford to rebuild have
                        done so with little or no resistance. The people sitting around seemingly
                        doing nothing are probably those who lack the resources and/or political
                        backing to rebuild/relocate without outside help.
                        - Small, simple privately funded initiatives have been extremely effective
                        in restoring normalcy to individual families and communities. But until the
                        political/institutional roadblocks to recovery are removed, allowing
                        bilateral/multilateral assistance to flow through NGOs, civil society groups
                        and local governments -- and until affected communities are better consulted
                        on and involved in their own recovery -- I would guess that the resignation
                        and anger recent visitors have commented on will remain.

                        My two cents worth and still hopeful for a happy ending, despite the bumps
                        in the road.

                        Best,
                        Mike