Re: [PARENTS OF CEREBRAL PALSY KIDS] I haven't been here for a while....

  • ajspunk
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10 5:00 PM
      --- In parentsofcerebralpalsykids@y..., "Elizabeth Derouin"
      <elizabeth.derouin@s...> wrote:
      > Hi Danielle!
      >
      > I am not a parent, but here is my opinion as someone who has
      Cerebral
      > Palsy. It is important to advocate for your son, on the contrary
      Ian must
      > learn how to voice his own opinions. I am not saying that you
      should give
      > him the adult responsabilities, but give him two choices.
      >
      > Some parents are smothering their handicapped children, I would be
      too if I
      > have a child with Cerebral Palsy or other disabilities. They will
      grow up
      > and they definitely need a good teacher to lay out foundation to
      deal and
      > can problem solve too. Parents are teacher.

      Hi, thanks for your input. My personal opinion is that he should get
      another brace, and then if he begins to ask to do without it at any
      point that will clue me in that it may be becoming more of a
      hindrance than a help but as for right now....he likes to wear his
      brace whenever he wears his shoes, he says it makes his leg strong
      like superman! :-)

      Thanks again, Danielle
      > Lastly, you have the right to choose your child's professional
      team, if you
      > do not agree with a doctor and experiencing problems, find and
      interview
      > them.
      >
      > Elizabeth
    • ajspunk
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10 5:01 PM
        <elizabeth.derouin@s...> wrote:
        > Hi Danielle!
        >
        > I am not a parent, but here is my opinion as someone who has
        Cerebral
        > Palsy. It is important to advocate for your son, on the contrary
        Ian must
        > learn how to voice his own opinions. I am not saying that you
        should give
        > him the adult responsabilities, but give him two choices.
        >
        > Some parents are smothering their handicapped children, I would be
        too if I
        > have a child with Cerebral Palsy or other disabilities. They will
        grow up
        > and they definitely need a good teacher to lay out foundation to
        deal and
        > can problem solve too. Parents are teacher.
        >
        > Lastly, you have the right to choose your child's professional
        team, if you
        > do not agree with a doctor and experiencing problems, find and
        interview
        > them.
        >
        > Elizabeth

        sorry, having trouble formatting the reply pages!-lol,
        -Danielle
      • Elizabeth Derouin

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 12 8:30 AM
            Wow, that is great attitude that he has at the age of five. Especially he
            figure out on his own that he feels like superman when he wears the braces.
            I can understand his point, for myself I cannot talk only with a voice
            machine that called Liberator. When I do not have the Liberator, I feel
            lost because I cannot carry a conversation, or direct my care if I have a
            new attendant who have my routine that day. Maybe Ian feels lost when he
            does not use his special power, or he ran into another child made fun when
            he walks on his toes?

            I would suggest allowing Ian talk about his desire with the doctor, and make
            sure that the doctor valudates Ian.

            Good luck,

            Elizabeth