Money will be shifted to cover State Education committment

  • Bob Shipman jr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
      Hot off the press, Money will be shifted to cover State Education committment.
    • Paul Shoe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2008

        Tell me more…please my co-workers and I are on the edge of our seats.

        Paul

        Hot off the press, Money will be shifted to cover State Education committment.

      • Bob Shipman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2008
          --- In parentpartner@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Shoe" <shoep@...> wrote:

          > Tell me more...please my co-workers and I are on the edge of our seats.
          >
          > Paul
          >

          > ________________________________

          Paul,
          Thanks for asking, the ISCV website (
          http://www.phillyneighborhoods.org/PhillyBlocks/Organizing-Phila/City_Budget/city_budget.html
          ) has a wealth of info about the school district budget. Go here and
          do a little home work and It will help us understand the July 1, 2007-
          June 30,08 budget as well, thus we have something to compare the July
          1, 2008- June 30, 2009 budget.

          Once you've read the Institute's City Budget Guide, you can access the
          most important source materials on City spending and taxes from here.

          please comeback with the questions and folks on the list can and will
          help with clarity.

          City Budget Documents

          * Proposed FY09 Budget in Brief
          * Citizens Guide to the FY09 Budget
          * Proposed FY09 5 Year Plan
          * FY08 Budget in Brief (116 Page PDF Document)
          * The Fiscal Cost of Crime: Testimony Delivered by Ed Schwartz,
          2/15/05(PDF)
          * Philadelphia Office of Housing FY07-08 Plan

          Philadelphia School District Budget

          * Philadelphia School District Proposed 2008-09 Budget
          * Philadelphia School District Online Discussion of 2008-09 Budget

          State and Federal Budgets and Philadelphia

          * Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Budget
          * Pennsylvania Budget Pleases Mayor Nutter
          * Bush Proposed FY2009 Budget and Online Resources
          * Philadelphia Inquirer on Proposed Bush FY09 Budget
          * Federal Budget Impact: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware Valley
          * Bush Budget Cuts Cost Philadelphia $287 Million

          City Taxes
          * Revenue Department: Frequently Asked Questions about City Taxes
          * Board of Revision of Taxes
          * Board of Revision of Taxes: Search Property Assessments by Address

          Tax and Budget Reform

          * Pennsylvania Economy League: Philadelphia's Budget
          * Philadelphia Tax Reform Commission
          * Philadelphia Forward--Implement Tax Reform Commission
          Recommendations
          * One Philadelphia-Tax Reduction Isn't in the City's Best Interest

          Powered by the Institute for the Study of Civic Values
          1218 Chestnut St., Rm. 702, Philadelphia, Pa. 19107, 215-238-1434
          Online: http://www.iscv.org
        • Bob Shipman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2008
            --- In parentpartner@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Shipman" <rmship@...> wrote:

            > --- In parentpartner@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Shoe" <shoep@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Tell me more...please my co-workers and I are on the edge of our
            seats.

            > > Paul
            > >

            > > ________________________________

            Paul, This is on one of the Parent sites on our link pages,
            State education budget looks more promising for Philadelphia

            While we believe it is too early to celebrate, the Inquirer is
            reporting that the preliminary agreement calls for a historic boost in
            education spending statewide, with Philadelphia likely to get the full
            share of $85 million that it was counting on. Lawmakers had planned to
            take away $34 million of Philadelphia's money to redistribute to other
            districts, but now the word is that lawmakers are seeking to ensure
            that Philadelphia receives the $34 million in other ways. The bad news
            is that a six-year funding plan has been scrapped for now, with
            lawmakers preferring to play poltitics with the education budget
            rather than deliver a funding formula that would address the dramatic
            inequities of school funding statewide.
          • Bob Shipman
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
              --- In parentpartner@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Shoe" <shoep@...> wrote:

              > Tell me more...please my co-workers and I are on the edge of our seats.
              >
              > Paul
              >

              > ________________________________

              Paul more info, from Philly.com, 7/6/08

              Details of the 2008-09 state budget approved Friday by the state
              Legislature:

              BUDGET

              , Almost $28.3 billion for fiscal year 2008-09, which began Tuesday.

              , $1 billion increase, or 4 percent, over last year's approved
              spending; $72.4 million less than Gov. Rendell's original proposal.

              , Does not require any broad-based tax or fee increases; does not dip
              into state's budget reserve.

              , Uses more than $500 million in one-time sources to prop up flagging
              revenue.

              , Agreement before fiscal year's end averted threatened furloughs of
              25,000 state workers.

              SPENDING

              , $274 million increase, or 5.5 percent, for public schools; each
              district gets at least 3 percent more.

              , $65 million increase, or 40 percent, for charter schools.

              , $633 million increase, or 6.6 percent, for the Department of Public
              Welfare, including health care for the poor, families with children
              and services for the mentally retarded and disabled.

              , Nearly $50 million increase, or more than 5 percent, for debt payments.

              , $90.6 million cut, or 20 percent, in state contribution to school
              employee pension fund.

              , $45 million cut, or 50 percent, in program to buy laptop computers
              for high school classrooms.

              BORROWING

              , $800 million, repaid from slot-machine gambling revenues, for dams
              and water and sewer systems over two years.

              , $500 million, repaid from electric utility gross receipts tax
              revenue, for alternative energy projects over two years.

              , $800 million, repaid from general tax revenues, for civic
              redevelopment projects over four years.

              , $350 million, repaid from motorist fees and taxes, to fix about 400
              of the state's most dangerous bridges.

              , $15 million, repaid from motorist fees and taxes, to improve
              airports and railways.

              , $400 million, repaid from general tax revenues, to improve water and
              sewer systems (must be approved by voters).

              ,,,

              Sources: Governor's Office, Senate Republicans, House Democrats