Nana Sarpong Has Informed Us That A Great Tree In Agogo Has Fallen

  • AgogoCenter@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      We extend our Love and Support to the Family of this Great Son of Agogo as well as to Nana Sarpong, the Agogo Elders and the Entire Agogo Community.
      Ghana's finance minister is dead

      afrol News, 25 September - Ghanaian finance Minister Kwadwo Baah-Wiredu has died at a hospital in South Africa on Wednesday after a short illness, local media has reported.

      According to local reports, colleagues and employees at the ministry of finance were shocked by death of the minister who was flown to South Africa on 12 September for a routine check up.

      "The government announces with deep sorrow and shock the death of Mr Kwadwo Baah-Wiredu, minister of finance and economic planning," Kwadwo Mpiani, Ghana's minister of presidential affairs, said in a statement.

      Vice President Alhaji Aliu Mahama has described the death of the Finance Minister, Mr Baah-Wiredu as a terrible experience for Ghana.

      Mr Alhaji Mahama described Mr Baah-Wiredu as a good man who was also his personal friend.

      Reports have revealed that Mr Baah-Wiredu had undergone a surgery that was successful but had a relapse yesterday after he checked into the residence of Ghana's High Commissioner in Pretoria. "He was rushed to the Little Company of Mary Hospital in Pretoria, where he was pronounced dead moments later," local sources said.

      Professor John Evans Atta Mills, Flag bearer of National Democratic Congress (NDC) described as a great shock death of Mr Baah-Wiredu, "who was humble, respectful and great achiever." "It is a great loss to the nation, Ghana," Prof. Mills told the Ghana News Agency.

      Prof Mills, who said he was shaken by the news of the death, added that Mr Baah-Wiredu was one of his students at University of Ghana. "He was one of the brilliant students and I was not surprised he excelled wherever he found himself."Prof Mills expressed condolences to Mr Baah-Wiredu's family, saying he couldn't imagine their grief at this moment.

      Mr Razia Khan, Africa head of research at Standard Chartered bank in London said Mr Baah-Wiredu drew smiles at international conferences by his habit of unfurling a map of Africa to point out to the audience where Ghana was, saying Africa has lost a charismatic and insightful economic leader.

      He worked in various positions with now defunct Ghana Airways, Volta River Authority and as senior consultant on computer systems and finance manager of Ananse Systems. He was a partner in Asante Wiredu and Associates, an accounting firm, prior to becoming an MP.

      He became a Minister in president Kufor's government in 2001 and held portfolios of Local Government and Rural Development (2001-2003) and Education, Youth and Sports (2003-2005) before being named Minister for Finance and Economic Planning in 2005, a position he held until his death.

      By staff writer

      © afrol News