[Parenting Children with Moyamoya] Re: I am cleaning up the spam

  • leilei543
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 16, 2008
      My son had the same procedure performed by Dr. Scott. He is an
      amazing doctor. My son was 5 at the time of diagnoses and the local
      doctors continued to just tell me he was having migraines but I knew
      it was more. Luckily for us we finally were put in touch with a
      local doctor who went to a seminar where Dr. Scott spoke about Moya
      Moya and referred us to him.

      My son is 11 now and hasnt had a TIA in years. He still has the
      occassional headache and takes two baby aspirin a day. Do any of
      your children who are on aspirin complain of stomach aches? I wonder
      sometimes if the aspirin is upsetting his stomach in some way. He is
      a very active boy who plays numerous sports, we just have to be sure
      to keep him hydrated. I notice that if he doesnt stay hydrated while
      playing sports the next day he wakes up with a headache.

      --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Park
      <sparkln13@...> wrote:

      > Thank you, Jane, for taking action!
      >
      > My daughter, Samantha, had bilateral revascularization performed
      by Dr. Scott (yes, we too worship him and his staff!) in July, 2005.
      She was 7 yrs old at the time. Her recovery has been wonderful. Her
      migraine-like headaches are decreasing to an average of once every 1-
      2 months. The only scare we had was last summer when she had a
      fleeting TIA at home. Her aspirin was increased to 2x/day and she
      seems to be fine since.

      > I was wondering if anyone has been participating in the research
      project that was discussed on DJ's site several months ago? I think
      it was through a university/hospital in Arizona (?).
      > I had considered it at the time but then got distracted with more
      immediate events and never pursued it.

      > Here's to a happy and HEALTHY New Year for everyone!!
      > Laurie
      >
      > Jane <ginger090177@...> wrote:
      > --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com,
      leilei543
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Everyone... Im sorry to see this group being attacked by
      spam.
      > > When my son was diagnosed with moyamoya in 2001 I desperately
      wanted to
      > > speak to others who were experiencing the same thing and started
      this
      > > group. It was a great resource to me at that time and I met many
      very
      > > helpful positive parents through this group. I was terribly
      > > disappointed to come back several years later and see it
      bombarded with
      > > spam. So if any of the members who found this group useful are
      still
      > > around I would love for you to return. I would like to hear how
      your
      > > children are doing. I am working on cleaning up the spam and have
      > > locked down the membership to those who are approved so that
      should
      > > prevent future spam from being posted.
      > >
      > > Once again I would like to apologize to all of you and I hope
      that you
      > > return.
      > >

      > Hi everyone i do hope the spam goes as i dont like to use this site
      > anymore because of it. It really helped when Chloe was first
      > diagnosed, its sad that people are using this site for filth.
      > Jane

    • djkrn2000
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
        My son also had the same procedure done by Dr. Smith who studied
        under Dr. Scott and She is also wonderful. He had headaches at first
        and a few TIAs, but now leads a a perfectly normal life. He turned 20
        yesterday and had 2 surgeries(right and left) when he was 13!!!!!
        What a celebration!! He still takes an aspirin a day and he does
        occasionally have stomach trouble but takes the enteric coated
        aspirin which helps. He also MUST in all cases stay Super Hydrated!!!
        It helps in all situations he has found or he gets tired and does get
        a headache at times. He forgets that he has this problem which is
        good, but bad as well at his age!!! Good Luck!!
        Djkmomo3@...

        --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com, leilei543
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > bombarded with
        > > > spam. So if any of the members who found this group useful are
        > still
        > > > around I would love for you to return. I would like to hear how
        > your
        > > > children are doing. I am working on cleaning up the spam and
        have
        > > > locked down the membership to those who are approved so that
        > should
        > > > prevent future spam from being posted.
        > > >
        > > > Once again I would like to apologize to all of you and I hope
        > that you
        > > > return.
        > > >

        > > Hi everyone i do hope the spam goes as i dont like to use this
        site
        > > anymore because of it. It really helped when Chloe was first
        > > diagnosed, its sad that people are using this site for filth.

      • jane wood
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
          Hi my daughter is 9 she takes 1/2 75mg asperin daily. She often is constipated and complains of tummy ache, i wonder if there is a connection ???
          Jane

          leilei543 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: My son had the same procedure performed by Dr. Scott. He is an

          <sparkln13@...> wrote:

          > Thank you, Jane, for taking action!
          >
          > My daughter, Samantha, had bilateral revascularization performed
          by Dr. Scott (yes, we too worship him and his staff!) in July, 2005.
          She was 7 yrs old at the time. Her recovery has been wonderful. Her
          migraine-like headaches are decreasing to an average of once every 1-
          2 months. The only scare we had was last summer when she had a
          fleeting TIA at home. Her aspirin was increased to 2x/day and she
          seems to be fine since.

          > I was wondering if anyone has been participating in the research
          project that was discussed on DJ's site several months ago? I think
          it was through a university/hospital in Arizona (?).
          > I had considered it at the time but then got distracted with more
          immediate events and never pursued it.

          > Here's to a happy and HEALTHY New Year for everyone!!
          > Laurie
          >
          > Jane <ginger090177@...> wrote:
          > --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com,
          leilei543
          > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Everyone... Im sorry to see this group being attacked by
          spam.
          > > When my son was diagnosed with moyamoya in 2001 I desperately
          wanted to
          > > speak to others who were experiencing the same thing and started
          this
          > > group. It was a great resource to me at that time and I met many
          very
          > > helpful positive parents through this group. I was terribly
          > > disappointed to come back several years later and see it
          bombarded with
          > > spam. So if any of the members who found this group useful are
          still
          > > around I would love for you to return. I would like to hear how
          your
          > > children are doing. I am working on cleaning up the spam and have
          > > locked down the membership to those who are approved so that
          should
          > > prevent future spam from being posted.
          > >
          > > Once again I would like to apologize to all of you and I hope
          that you
          > > return.
          > >

          > Hi everyone i do hope the spam goes as i dont like to use this site
          > anymore because of it. It really helped when Chloe was first
          > diagnosed, its sad that people are using this site for filth.
          > Jane

        • jane wood
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
            Hello Laurie
            I havnt spoken to anyone in ages. I guess i just got fed up of all the spam and didnt trust the emails anymore, i hope it gets sorted as families need this its a great way to stay in touch get advice ect
            Samantha will be 9 now then same as Chloe. Hows she doing at school ???
            Glad her headaches are easing. Chloe has never complained of headaches, but crys a lot which i put down to frustration as she cant talk, she also hits her head a lot again i put this down to frustration, the Drs never explained to me that she might get headaches, in fact they didnt explain much at all. Chloe is having an operation on her weak hand next Wednesday it was booked for before Christmas but had to be canceled because she had a bad cough on the morning of the operation. They are hoping the operation will allow her to use her hand more.
            Has anyone else come across this surgery ???
            Take care all
            Jane x

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Hello Everyone... Im sorry to see this group being attacked by spam.
            > When my son was diagnosed with moyamoya in 2001 I desperately wanted to
            > speak to others who were experiencing the same thing and started this
            > group. It was a great resource to me at that time and I met many very
            > helpful positive parents through this group. I was terribly
            > disappointed to come back several years later and see it bombarded with
            > spam. So if any of the members who found this group useful are still
            > around I would love for you to return. I would like to hear how your
            > children are doing. I am working on cleaning up the spam and have
            > locked down the membership to those who are approved so that should
            > prevent future spam from being posted.
            >
            > Once again I would like to apologize to all of you and I hope that you
            > return.

            Hi everyone i do hope the spam goes as i dont like to use this site
            anymore because of it. It really helped when Chloe was first
            diagnosed, its sad that people are using this site for filth.
            Jane

          • Laurie Park
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
              Hi Jane,
              Samantha was lucky and did not suffer a stroke prior to her being diagnosed with Moyamoya. She seems to have no residual affects except for the migraines. She's in fourth grade and is in the gifted program at school.

              I am a Speech-Language Pathologist who has worked with pediatrics as well as adult stroke patients. I credit my profession with helping me to recognize the early signs of stroke so that she could be diagnosed early. The ER doctor I took her to after she suffered her 3rd TIA in 10 days, including slurred speech during the last episode, was going to send her home without any tests at all. I became a quiet rock in that ER and would not move until he got someone to help us. Luckily the pediatrician on call was wonderful and took Samantha's case very seriously. We were stationed in Korea at the time where Moyamoya is more common than in the States.

              Is Chloe seeing a Speech Language Pathologist to help her with her communication? Perhaps when her hand improves it will be easier for her to use communication devices and she won't be so frustrated. I haven't had experience with hand surgery but I have a couple of friends who are Occupational Therapists and specialize in hand therapy. If you have any questions that you can't get answered, let me know and I will see if my friends can help point you in the right direction.

              I'll be thinking of you and Chloe next wednesday and praying for excellent outcomes!!

              Keep us posted.
              Laurie :)

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 21, 2008
                Hi Laurie
                Nice to hear from you Dear.
                Chloe isnt having speech therapy at the moment but i will be pushing for it once we get her hand sorted. We go in tomorrow surgery is planned for Wednesday. I am feeling very stressed as you can imagine.
                Chloe has a Dynavox speaking machine, but the last time we went to see our specialist he mentioned he thought her sounds had got better, she uses the machine very well and also does makaton (sign language) so she manages quiet well.
                Well there doesnt seem to be any spam on here i am really pleased its good to get talking with everyone again.
                Jane x

                Laurie Park <sparkln13@...> wrote: Hi Jane,

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
                  Hi all
                  Just wanted to let you know Chloe had her operation done on her wrist/thumb on Wednesday and it went ok. We are home now. We wont know if it is going to work for a while though. We have lots of physio to do, its been hard today as Chloe is in a bit of pain with it, i hope it doesnt last too long.
                  Hope your all okay
                  Jane and family xxx

                • Mohamed
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 30, 2008
                    Hello everyone,
                    I wrote in in 2006/07 because my daughter had just been diagonised with moyamoya and this site was wonderful in supporting and giving my family resources on the disease.As you said it was just horrid to see people take advantage of the website.
                    Since I last wrote in, I am pleased to say that my daughter Alia has undergone surgery twice with Dr Scott(Children's hospital Boston) and she is in recovery for the right frontal lobe as we speak.She is doing well and I can't praise the doctors and nursing staff enough; they are so good at what they do, you just feel taken care of.