Re: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] Re: I am cleaning up the spam

  • Laurie Park
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 14, 2008
      Thank you, Jane, for taking action!

      My daughter, Samantha, had bilateral revascularization performed by Dr. Scott (yes, we too worship him and his staff!) in July, 2005. She was 7 yrs old at the time. Her recovery has been wonderful. Her migraine-like headaches are decreasing to an average of once every 1-2 months. The only scare we had was last summer when she had a fleeting TIA at home. Her aspirin was increased to 2x/day and she seems to be fine since.

      I was wondering if anyone has been participating in the research project that was discussed on DJ's site several months ago? I think it was through a university/hospital in Arizona (?).
      I had considered it at the time but then got distracted with more immediate events and never pursued it.

      Here's to a happy and HEALTHY New Year for everyone!!
      Laurie

      Jane <ginger090177@...> wrote:
      --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com, leilei543
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone... Im sorry to see this group being attacked by spam.
      > When my son was diagnosed with moyamoya in 2001 I desperately wanted to
      > speak to others who were experiencing the same thing and started this
      > group. It was a great resource to me at that time and I met many very
      > helpful positive parents through this group. I was terribly
      > disappointed to come back several years later and see it bombarded with
      > spam. So if any of the members who found this group useful are still
      > around I would love for you to return. I would like to hear how your
      > children are doing. I am working on cleaning up the spam and have
      > locked down the membership to those who are approved so that should
      > prevent future spam from being posted.
      >
      > Once again I would like to apologize to all of you and I hope that you
      > return.

      Hi everyone i do hope the spam goes as i dont like to use this site
      anymore because of it. It really helped when Chloe was first
      diagnosed, its sad that people are using this site for filth.
      Jane

    • leilei543
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 16, 2008
        My son had the same procedure performed by Dr. Scott. He is an
        amazing doctor. My son was 5 at the time of diagnoses and the local
        doctors continued to just tell me he was having migraines but I knew
        it was more. Luckily for us we finally were put in touch with a
        local doctor who went to a seminar where Dr. Scott spoke about Moya
        Moya and referred us to him.

        My son is 11 now and hasnt had a TIA in years. He still has the
        occassional headache and takes two baby aspirin a day. Do any of
        your children who are on aspirin complain of stomach aches? I wonder
        sometimes if the aspirin is upsetting his stomach in some way. He is
        a very active boy who plays numerous sports, we just have to be sure
        to keep him hydrated. I notice that if he doesnt stay hydrated while
        playing sports the next day he wakes up with a headache.

        --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Park
        <sparkln13@...> wrote:

        > Thank you, Jane, for taking action!
        >
        > My daughter, Samantha, had bilateral revascularization performed
        by Dr. Scott (yes, we too worship him and his staff!) in July, 2005.
        She was 7 yrs old at the time. Her recovery has been wonderful. Her
        migraine-like headaches are decreasing to an average of once every 1-
        2 months. The only scare we had was last summer when she had a
        fleeting TIA at home. Her aspirin was increased to 2x/day and she
        seems to be fine since.

        > I was wondering if anyone has been participating in the research
        project that was discussed on DJ's site several months ago? I think
        it was through a university/hospital in Arizona (?).
        > I had considered it at the time but then got distracted with more
        immediate events and never pursued it.

        > Here's to a happy and HEALTHY New Year for everyone!!
        > Laurie
        >
        > Jane <ginger090177@...> wrote:
        > --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com,
        leilei543
        > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello Everyone... Im sorry to see this group being attacked by
        spam.
        > > When my son was diagnosed with moyamoya in 2001 I desperately
        wanted to
        > > speak to others who were experiencing the same thing and started
        this
        > > group. It was a great resource to me at that time and I met many
        very
        > > helpful positive parents through this group. I was terribly
        > > disappointed to come back several years later and see it
        bombarded with
        > > spam. So if any of the members who found this group useful are
        still
        > > around I would love for you to return. I would like to hear how
        your
        > > children are doing. I am working on cleaning up the spam and have
        > > locked down the membership to those who are approved so that
        should
        > > prevent future spam from being posted.
        > >
        > > Once again I would like to apologize to all of you and I hope
        that you
        > > return.
        > >

        > Hi everyone i do hope the spam goes as i dont like to use this site
        > anymore because of it. It really helped when Chloe was first
        > diagnosed, its sad that people are using this site for filth.
        > Jane

      • djkrn2000
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
          My son also had the same procedure done by Dr. Smith who studied
          under Dr. Scott and She is also wonderful. He had headaches at first
          and a few TIAs, but now leads a a perfectly normal life. He turned 20
          yesterday and had 2 surgeries(right and left) when he was 13!!!!!
          What a celebration!! He still takes an aspirin a day and he does
          occasionally have stomach trouble but takes the enteric coated
          aspirin which helps. He also MUST in all cases stay Super Hydrated!!!
          It helps in all situations he has found or he gets tired and does get
          a headache at times. He forgets that he has this problem which is
          good, but bad as well at his age!!! Good Luck!!
          Djkmomo3@...

          <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > bombarded with
          > > > spam. So if any of the members who found this group useful are
          > still
          > > > around I would love for you to return. I would like to hear how
          > your
          > > > children are doing. I am working on cleaning up the spam and
          have
          > > > locked down the membership to those who are approved so that
          > should
          > > > prevent future spam from being posted.
          > > >
          > > > Once again I would like to apologize to all of you and I hope
          > that you
          > > > return.
          > > >

          > > Hi everyone i do hope the spam goes as i dont like to use this
          site
          > > anymore because of it. It really helped when Chloe was first
          > > diagnosed, its sad that people are using this site for filth.

        • jane wood
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
            Hi my daughter is 9 she takes 1/2 75mg asperin daily. She often is constipated and complains of tummy ache, i wonder if there is a connection ???
            Jane

            leilei543 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: My son had the same procedure performed by Dr. Scott. He is an

            <sparkln13@...> wrote:

            > Thank you, Jane, for taking action!
            >
            > My daughter, Samantha, had bilateral revascularization performed
            by Dr. Scott (yes, we too worship him and his staff!) in July, 2005.
            She was 7 yrs old at the time. Her recovery has been wonderful. Her
            migraine-like headaches are decreasing to an average of once every 1-
            2 months. The only scare we had was last summer when she had a
            fleeting TIA at home. Her aspirin was increased to 2x/day and she
            seems to be fine since.

            > I was wondering if anyone has been participating in the research
            project that was discussed on DJ's site several months ago? I think
            it was through a university/hospital in Arizona (?).
            > I had considered it at the time but then got distracted with more
            immediate events and never pursued it.

            > Here's to a happy and HEALTHY New Year for everyone!!
            > Laurie
            >
            > Jane <ginger090177@...> wrote:
            > --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com,
            leilei543
            > <no_reply@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello Everyone... Im sorry to see this group being attacked by
            spam.
            > > When my son was diagnosed with moyamoya in 2001 I desperately
            wanted to
            > > speak to others who were experiencing the same thing and started
            this
            > > group. It was a great resource to me at that time and I met many
            very
            > > helpful positive parents through this group. I was terribly
            > > disappointed to come back several years later and see it
            bombarded with
            > > spam. So if any of the members who found this group useful are
            still
            > > around I would love for you to return. I would like to hear how
            your
            > > children are doing. I am working on cleaning up the spam and have
            > > locked down the membership to those who are approved so that
            should
            > > prevent future spam from being posted.
            > >
            > > Once again I would like to apologize to all of you and I hope
            that you
            > > return.
            > >

            > Hi everyone i do hope the spam goes as i dont like to use this site
            > anymore because of it. It really helped when Chloe was first
            > diagnosed, its sad that people are using this site for filth.
            > Jane

          • jane wood
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
              Hello Laurie
              I havnt spoken to anyone in ages. I guess i just got fed up of all the spam and didnt trust the emails anymore, i hope it gets sorted as families need this its a great way to stay in touch get advice ect
              Samantha will be 9 now then same as Chloe. Hows she doing at school ???
              Glad her headaches are easing. Chloe has never complained of headaches, but crys a lot which i put down to frustration as she cant talk, she also hits her head a lot again i put this down to frustration, the Drs never explained to me that she might get headaches, in fact they didnt explain much at all. Chloe is having an operation on her weak hand next Wednesday it was booked for before Christmas but had to be canceled because she had a bad cough on the morning of the operation. They are hoping the operation will allow her to use her hand more.
              Has anyone else come across this surgery ???
              Take care all
              Jane x

              Laurie Park <sparkln13@...> wrote: Thank you, Jane, for taking action!

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
                Hi Jane,
                Samantha was lucky and did not suffer a stroke prior to her being diagnosed with Moyamoya. She seems to have no residual affects except for the migraines. She's in fourth grade and is in the gifted program at school.

                I am a Speech-Language Pathologist who has worked with pediatrics as well as adult stroke patients. I credit my profession with helping me to recognize the early signs of stroke so that she could be diagnosed early. The ER doctor I took her to after she suffered her 3rd TIA in 10 days, including slurred speech during the last episode, was going to send her home without any tests at all. I became a quiet rock in that ER and would not move until he got someone to help us. Luckily the pediatrician on call was wonderful and took Samantha's case very seriously. We were stationed in Korea at the time where Moyamoya is more common than in the States.

                Is Chloe seeing a Speech Language Pathologist to help her with her communication? Perhaps when her hand improves it will be easier for her to use communication devices and she won't be so frustrated. I haven't had experience with hand surgery but I have a couple of friends who are Occupational Therapists and specialize in hand therapy. If you have any questions that you can't get answered, let me know and I will see if my friends can help point you in the right direction.

                I'll be thinking of you and Chloe next wednesday and praying for excellent outcomes!!

                Keep us posted.
                Laurie :)

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 21, 2008
                  Hi Laurie
                  Nice to hear from you Dear.
                  Chloe isnt having speech therapy at the moment but i will be pushing for it once we get her hand sorted. We go in tomorrow surgery is planned for Wednesday. I am feeling very stressed as you can imagine.
                  Chloe has a Dynavox speaking machine, but the last time we went to see our specialist he mentioned he thought her sounds had got better, she uses the machine very well and also does makaton (sign language) so she manages quiet well.
                  Well there doesnt seem to be any spam on here i am really pleased its good to get talking with everyone again.
                  Jane x

                  Laurie Park <sparkln13@...> wrote: Hi Jane,

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
                    Hi all
                    Just wanted to let you know Chloe had her operation done on her wrist/thumb on Wednesday and it went ok. We are home now. We wont know if it is going to work for a while though. We have lots of physio to do, its been hard today as Chloe is in a bit of pain with it, i hope it doesnt last too long.
                    Hope your all okay
                    Jane and family xxx

                  • Mohamed
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 30, 2008
                      Hello everyone,
                      I wrote in in 2006/07 because my daughter had just been diagonised with moyamoya and this site was wonderful in supporting and giving my family resources on the disease.As you said it was just horrid to see people take advantage of the website.
                      Since I last wrote in, I am pleased to say that my daughter Alia has undergone surgery twice with Dr Scott(Children's hospital Boston) and she is in recovery for the right frontal lobe as we speak.She is doing well and I can't praise the doctors and nursing staff enough; they are so good at what they do, you just feel taken care of.