Re: surgery on July 15

  • kvm5817
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20 12:39 PM
      --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@y..., mikeiz12 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > Thanks for the warning about the swelling. It will help me to
      > prepare. How long should I expect before I will know if the
      surgery
      > was successful...at the six month visit...more for some? Is there
      > noticable change in your children or is it more the abscence of
      TIA's
      > or strokes? thanks everyone, I would be so scared without this
      group.
      > Sheila

      Hi:
      It's been a while since I've been able to chat. My name is Kathy and
      my son Brian had surgery on both sides for advanced MM in August
      2000. He had migraines from the age of 11 but then so did all of the
      other kids in our family so thought nothing of it. He had a serious
      stroke in June of 2000. That was when he was diagnosed. No symptoms
      prior, no tia's, nothing. He was paralyzed on the right side and
      lost his speech. He got everything back except for math. He wasd a
      junior in high school. We went to Gary Steinberg at Stanford because
      although we are from Boston and still have family there, we wanted
      him to have the STA-MCA surgery. He sailed thru the first surgery,
      but, unfortunately cloted off the graft and had repeated tia's. They
      did the surgery again on that side and there was no problem. He then
      had the other side done. Three brain surgeries in 3 weeks! He
      started his senior year in HS 2 weeks post-op, and graduated last
      year as outstanding senior class of 2001. He has had 1 migraine
      since surgeries and no tia's. He just finished freshman year in
      college with honors and is re-learning math. His stroke occurred in
      the cognitive speech center of the brain, which, surprisingly
      controls math. He had some trouble with word retrieval initially but
      seems to have no problem now. He was 70% occluded on 1 side and 85%
      on the other. He is due to have his yearly perfusion CT to look at
      the grafts and blood flow. Last one looked good. He leads the life
      of a typical teenager, drives, works pt, and dates. When he knew
      that he had a fairly decent chance of dying, he said that he wanted
      to live long enought to learn to drive and to kiss a girl. He has
      done both. We celebrate his life on a daily basis, don't take
      anything for granted. The five year research studies done on MM
      survivors who have had surgery look really good. Have faith!
      Kathy and Brian
    • dareinhart@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2002
        --- mikeiz12 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > Thanks for the warning about the swelling. It will
        > help me to
        > prepare. How long should I expect before I will
        > know if the surgery
        > was successful...at the six month visit...more for
        > some? Is there a
        > noticable change in your children or is it more the
        > abscence of TIA's
        > or strokes? thanks everyone, I would be so scared
        > without this group.
        > Sheila

        Sheila, just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking
        of you and Charlie and praying for an execellent
        outcome on his surgery.

        My daughter is three years post op and continues to
        improve both academically and physically. I've read
        that the brain continues to rewire until at least the
        age of 14, so I believe she will catch up eventually.

        Let us know how you and Charlie are doing. Denyse

        http://autos.yahoo.com