charlie's surgery

  • mikeiz12
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2002
      My son Charlie is having surgery on July 15 with Dr. Scott. Any
      advice about things to know or bring to the hospitol?
      thanks, Sheila
    • dareinhart@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2002
        --- mikeiz12 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > My son Charlie is having surgery on July 15 with Dr.
        > Scott. Any
        > advice about things to know or bring to the
        > hospitol?
        > thanks, Sheila
        >
        > Hi, Sheila. My daughter also had surgery with Dr.
        Scott. The first few days after she really had no
        interest in anything. I had brought lots of presents
        and she'd open them but didn't have much energy to
        play with them.

        You should prepare yourself for Charlie to really look
        bad after surgery. My daughter's one eye was swollen
        shut and her head was huge. It seemed like it was
        getting better and then it swelled more. There's also
        lots of tubes and monitors in the ICU, it's scarey and
        comforting at the same time.

        The folks at Boston Children's are fabulous, they
        really know how to take care of moyamoya kids.

        They have a liaison nurse who will update you every 90
        minutes during the surgery. You check in with her
        once you get to the waiting room. If you need to
        leave, you can ask her for a pager so they'll be able
        to get in touch with you.

        Also, my daughter wouldn't eat for a couple of days
        after surgery. I realized it was because of the
        incisions on both sides of her head made it hard to
        open her mouth. We got her a soft cinnamon bun at Au
        Bon Pain and she was able to let it melt in her mouth
        without chewing. That really helped her to perk up a
        bit. She had surgery on Tuesday, was really still
        seeming very weak on Thursday. On Friday she woke up
        practically a different kid and on Saturday, when we
        were discharged, she skipped out of the hospital. It
        truly was a miracle.

        By the way, my daughter's birthday is July 15th, so
        that's an excellent day for your son to have his
        surgery, I just know it's a good luck sign. Also
        we'll be sure to remember to pray for him.

        If I can answer any more questions, just let me know.
        I know how scarey it is, but for us it was well worth
        it. My daughter is doing great and really leading a
        normal life.

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • mikeiz12
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 19, 2002
          Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Charlie made it
          through the surgery without any complications. Dr. Scott was very
          nice. Charlie came home last night and we are so happy to be all
          together. thanks again