Re: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] YuYu update 2/26/06 -heading to Boston for surgery

  • Laurie Park
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2006
      Hi Cheryl,
      My daughter, Samantha, is 7 yrs old and had her surgery with Dr Scott this past July. I can't say enough about how wonderful Dr. Scott is and the entire staff at the hospital. We traveled from Korea, where my husband is currently stationed with the Navy, to have her surgery and be near family. Once you get there, the experience and confidence that Dr Scott and the surgery team have will help you through this difficult time. Your son is in VERY good hands.

      My family and I will add you all to our prayers, especially this week, and look forward to hearing from you with the news that YuYu is recovering well.

      Take care and know you have support half way around the world!
      Laurie

      Cheryl in NM <luvfunparenting@...> wrote:
      Hello, I am new here, but wanted to share this with you all.

      I just wanted to let you know that our son,YuYu's surgery (cranial
      revascularization by pial synangiosis) is scheduled for March 6th at
      Boston Children's Hopsital.

      YuYu was adopted from China 6 months ago - he is 4 years old. He had
      a stroke one month ago and has been diagnosed with moyamoya
      syndrome

      We fly to Boston on Wed. March 1st, meet with the neurosurgeon (Dr.
      Michael Scott) on March 2nd, and then have a couple of days before
      YuYu needs to be admitted to the hospital on March 5th, and surgery
      on the 6th. We will be so appreciative of all the good thoughts and
      prayers that any and all are willing to send up for our precious son.

      Right now YuYu is stable. He has had no other strokes or TIAs
      (trasiant ischemic attacks) since the one on Jan.22nd, and this is
      the best possible news since there is a direct correlation between
      how he presents for surgery with his long term pronosis (as long as
      he makes it through the surgery and immediately after the surgery
      without any further adverse events.

      We love this child more than words can say, and all of the people
      that have been so kind, and so loving and generous with us - your
      prayers especially -are appreciated so much. We know that we have
      been blessed to have this child come into our lives to be our dear
      son...and we so want him to be well again.

      My family and I thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for your
      friendship, your love, and your support during this emotional and
      trying time. Reading the posts on this group have been very helpful
      to our family.

      With our sincere love and appreciation,
      Cheryl, Paul, LiLi and YuYu in New Mexico!

      American family home insurance American family home insurance company American family home owner insurance Multi family home for sale Parenting child Single family home for sale

    • chbrigger
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
        Dear Cheryl,

        Two of my children have had this surgery done by Dr. Scott in Boston
        and are doing very well. Katie had hers done 6 years ago and is now
        9. Erik had his done almost 6 years ago and is 10 1/2. Dr. Scott
        and his entire staff are amazing. We felt at ease as soon as we
        arrived in Boston and met everyone. The kids often talk about Dr.
        Scott and love when we have gone for follow up visits with him. He
        is such a wonderful, caring Dr.

        We will keep your family and YuYu in our prayers over the next few
        weeks. If you have any questions about Boston or what to expect
        after surgery, etc. Please feel free to ask. Also there is a great
        website called carepages.com where you can create a page for YuYu
        and post updates about YuYu and your family and friends can sign up
        to get the updates and send you messages. It is a great way to
        communicate without having to send or sort through many emails.

        Good luck and please keep us posted.

        Heather
      • Cheryl in NM
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2006
          If you have any questions about Boston or what to expect
          > after surgery, etc. Please feel free to ask. > Heather

          Heather,

          YES, we would SO appreciate hearing from you what you experienced
          after the surgery - did your kids have a difficult time coming out
          of the anesthesia? Any tips, ideas, etc.?

          Thanks so much for being out there.
          We met Dr. Scott on Thursday and liked him a lot. It was a relief
          to meet him and find him to be so caring and gentle.

          I will let you know how things go.
          You can email me at: luvfunparenting@... with your post-
          surgery thoughts and ideas and experiences.

          Yours,
          Cheryl