Re: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] Juliana

  • Rena
    Message 1 of 12 , May 20, 2005
      Kevin,
      It sounds like you are on the right track. You might also want to check out www.moyamoya.com it is a great support system and a great source of information. I will keep you family in my prayers.

      kevin_c86 <kevin_c86@...> wrote:
      This is my first post. Our daughter Juliana has been monitored for
      Neurofibromatosis since she was 8 weeks old. Last year she was
      officially diagnosed with the condition, as part of her observation
      she needs to get MRI's of the brain. Last year it was noticed that
      her left side internal carotid was missing. This year we were told
      that she has Moyamoya syndrome and is at risk of having a stroke at
      anytime. We currently are taking her to Children's Hospital of
      Philadelphia. We think that he Neurologist is wonderful (DR. Rebecca
      Icord), the Neurosurgeon there wants to operate on her but we are
      apprehensive since we are unsure of his knowledge of Moyamoya. We
      have been in contact with Dr. Scott in Boston and he has called us on
      several occasions we think he is a wonderful human being. He is going
      out of town next week but after that he wants to do surgery on our
      daughter. I am not really sure if I am asking a question here but
      maybe just looking for a little reassurance.

      Kevin M. Cave

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 8, 2005
        Kevin,
        Our daughter Mallory will be seeing Dr. Scott on June 16 for an evaulation. Would you mind telling me if Juliana had both sides operated on at the same time or under one anesthesia. I hope your daughter does wonderful in her recovery and best wishes.

        Tom Busam

        > From: "kevin_c86" <kevin_c86@...>
        > Date: 2005/06/08 Wed AM 11:36:12 EDT
        > To: parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] Juliana
        >
        > Juliana had her surgery yesterday with Dr. Scott. He was very happy
        > with surgery and said it went even better then he thought. Juliana is
        > still in the ICU but is recovering fast and will transfer to another
        > roo this afternoon. Thank you all for your support.
        >
        > You've been invited to visit Juliana Cave's online CarePage.
        > A personalized Web page, called a CarePage, has been created
        > for Juliana, so you can easily receive
        > the latest news, view photos and share messages of support.
        >
        > To visit the CarePage, please click the link below:
        >
        > http://www.carepages.com/ServeCarePage?cpn=julianacave
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Kevin Cave
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9, 2005
          Dear Tom,

          Juliana has a condition called NF 1(neurofibromatosis) which gives her the need to have brain scans every 6 months. The problem that she has is that her left internal cardioid artery is not present, she was born this way. Obviously Dr Scott would be the person to make the decision about Mallory. I would absolutely follow his advice. I can tell you if he is suggesting that they do two separate surgeries that may make sense. Prior to this surgery my daughter has been under anesthesia 4 times before we even new of any risks. I have done a lot of research on this before I brought my daughter to Boston. This type operation is not like a heart by-pass where the results are immediate, the Brain needs to learn that there is a new source of blood flow. Please keep in mind that the Doctors are obligated to give you the worst possible scenario. If I can help you in any other way please do not hesitate to contact me. We will pray for Mallory.

          Kevin Cave

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 9, 2005
            Kevin,
            Thank you for your response and best of luck!

            Tom Busam

            > From: Kevin Cave <kevin_c86@...>
            > Date: 2005/06/09 Thu AM 09:11:33 EDT
            > To: parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] Juliana
            >
            > Dear Tom,
            >
            > Juliana has a condition called NF 1(neurofibromatosis) which gives her the need to have brain scans every 6 months. The problem that she has is that her left internal cardioid artery is not present, she was born this way. Obviously Dr Scott would be the person to make the decision about Mallory. I would absolutely follow his advice. I can tell you if he is suggesting that they do two separate surgeries that may make sense. Prior to this surgery my daughter has been under anesthesia 4 times before we even new of any risks. I have done a lot of research on this before I brought my daughter to Boston. This type operation is not like a heart by-pass where the results are immediate, the Brain needs to learn that there is a new source of blood flow. Please keep in mind that the Doctors are obligated to give you the worst possible scenario. If I can help you in any other way please do not hesitate to contact me. We will pray for Mallory.
            >
            > Kevin Cave
            >

            > tlbusam@... wrote:
            > Kevin,
            > Our daughter Mallory will be seeing Dr. Scott on June 16 for an evaulation. Would you mind telling me if Juliana had both sides operated on at the same time or under one anesthesia. I hope your daughter does wonderful in her recovery and best wishes.
            >
            > Tom Busam
            > >
            > > From: "kevin_c86" <kevin_c86@...>
            > > Date: 2005/06/08 Wed AM 11:36:12 EDT
            > > To: parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com
            > > Subject: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] Juliana
            > >
            > > Juliana had her surgery yesterday with Dr. Scott. He was very happy
            > > with surgery and said it went even better then he thought. Juliana is
            > > still in the ICU but is recovering fast and will transfer to another
            > > roo this afternoon. Thank you all for your support.
            > >
            > > You've been invited to visit Juliana Cave's online CarePage.
            > > A personalized Web page, called a CarePage, has been created
            > > for Juliana, so you can easily receive
            > > the latest news, view photos and share messages of support.
            > >
            > > To visit the CarePage, please click the link below:
            > >
            > > http://www.carepages.com/ServeCarePage?cpn=julianacave
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • trekkierick2002
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 14, 2005
              Kevin,

              I've been reading your posts. I'm sorry about everything going on,
              but things seem to be looking on the up and up. This is my first
              time visiting the site in quite a while.
              My 5-year old daughter, Hayley, also has NF1 and MoyaMoya. She had
              surgery on May 13th, 2003, in Boston, and has been doing fantastic
              ever since. She received a wonderful report on her one-year follow
              up last June from Dr. Scott. Hayley only had to have surgery on her
              right side, her left side looked great. Dr. Scott asked us to have a
              yearly MRI to keep a check on the left side. Her MRI is scheduled
              for this Friday, June 17th. How old is Juliana? Hayley recovered
              from the surgery quick and still talks about all the wonderful
              people at BCH. She wants to know when she can go back and play in
              the play room and see Will, who also had surgery for MM the same day
              (hope you're reading this Ginny). Best of luck to you and your
              family, I will be praying for all of you. Please let me know if you
              have any questions, you can e-mail me at trekkierick@... if
              you want.

              Ricky

              --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Cave

              Service.

            • EDNA mojica
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 15, 2005
                Hi to all:

                This is my first time writing on this site, however I checked it out back in 1999 but didn't think anything of it because I thought that after my surgery it wasn't going to come back.

                I am the person with the MM, I am a puerto rican mom of 2 kids (7 & 8 y/o), lives in Queens New York. I am 36 y/o, non-smoker, non-drug user, basically health & was diagnosed with this damn disease MM back in 1999 & immediatedly had a blockage removed on my left artery, it was preventing blood flowing from one side of my brain to the other. This all started because I was having my right hand side fall asleep after sex, it didn't happen all the time, but enough for me to go & check myself. After my Neurologist Dr. Schick performed some MRI's & also Surgeon (Dr. De Los Reyes), by the way, he was the only surgeon in New York able to diagnose MM. Now I am looking for him & he's no where to be found.

                So now, after that surgery was performed I assumed that I would be cured for ever, well was I wrong, thank god there's nothing paralyzed on my body, but have suffered 3 minor strokes. My numbness & weakness have come back about 2 years ago & again after sex (not as much though), but last month, as I played in the park with my kids, I was running back & tripped on my legs & fell & hit my head hard that my cell phone came off my waist, since this happened I started experimenting bluryness on my vision & numbness of my left leg that would make me fall.

                I have seen my Neurologist again since this & gotten MRI's done at the hospital but he doesn't know what to tell me, I am taking Ecotrin (aspiri) to thin out the blood. He's having a conference call tomorrow with other doctors at Beth Israel Medical Center in Manhattan to see what he can tell me.

                Please advise on any other medication out there.
                Thanks,
                Edna Mojica

                <kevin_c86@y...> wrote:
                > Dear Tom,
                >
                > Juliana has a condition called NF 1(neurofibromatosis) which gives
                her the need to have brain scans every 6 months. The problem that
                she has is that her left internal cardioid artery is not present,
                she was born this way. Obviously Dr Scott would be the person to
                make the decision about Mallory. I would absolutely follow his
                advice. I can tell you if he is suggesting that they do two
                separate surgeries that may make sense. Prior to this surgery my
                daughter has been under anesthesia 4 times before we even new of any
                risks. I have done a lot of research on this before I brought my
                daughter to Boston. This type operation is not like a heart by-pass
                where the results are immediate, the Brain needs to learn that there
                is a new source of blood flow. Please keep in mind that the
                Doctors are obligated to give you the worst possible scenario. If I
                can help you in any other way please do not hesitate to contact me.
                We will pray for Mallory.

                > Kevin Cave
                >

                > tlbusam@f... wrote:
                > Kevin,
                > Our daughter Mallory will be seeing Dr. Scott on June 16 for an
                evaulation. Would you mind telling me if Juliana had both sides
                operated on at the same time or under one anesthesia. I hope your
                daughter does wonderful in her recovery and best wishes.

                > Tom Busam
                > >
                > > From: "kevin_c86" <kevin_c86@y...>
                > > Date: 2005/06/08 Wed AM 11:36:12 EDT
                > > To: parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com
                > > Subject: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] Juliana
                > >
                > > Juliana had her surgery yesterday with Dr. Scott. He was very
                happy
                > > with surgery and said it went even better then he thought.
                Juliana is
                > > still in the ICU but is recovering fast and will transfer to
                another
                > > roo this afternoon. Thank you all for your support.
                > >
                > > You've been invited to visit Juliana Cave's online CarePage.
                > > A personalized Web page, called a CarePage, has been created
                > > for Juliana, so you can easily receive
                > > the latest news, view photos and share messages of support.
                > >
                > > To visit the CarePage, please click the link below:
                > >
                > > http://www.carepages.com/ServeCarePage?cpn=julianacave
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Service.

              • Kevin Cave
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 15, 2005
                  Thanks for your support,

                  Juliana will be 4 on July 28, so far she has been doing fine, and has been difficult to keep at a slow pace. I was curios where you live, we live about 25 miles from Philadelphia. Juliana's NF doctor is at Children's Hospital of Pennsylvania and he has recommended that Juliana get MRI'S every 6 months to check for tumors on her optical nerve's, that is how we discovered the Moyamoya in the first place.

                  Best Regards,

                  Kevin Cave

                  <kevin_c86@y...> wrote:
                  > Dear Tom,
                  >
                  > Juliana has a condition called NF 1(neurofibromatosis) which gives
                  her the need to have brain scans every 6 months. The problem that
                  she has is that her left internal cardioid artery is not present,
                  she was born this way. Obviously Dr Scott would be the person to
                  make the decision about Mallory. I would absolutely follow his
                  advice. I can tell you if he is suggesting that they do two
                  separate surgeries that may make sense. Prior to this surgery my
                  daughter has been under anesthesia 4 times before we even new of any
                  risks. I have done a lot of research on this before I brought my
                  daughter to Boston. This type operation is not like a heart by-pass
                  where the results are immediate, the Brain needs to learn that there
                  is a new source of blood flow. Please keep in mind that the
                  Doctors are obligated to give you the worst possible scenario. If I
                  can help you in any other way please do not hesitate to contact me.
                  We will pray for Mallory.

                  > Kevin Cave
                  >

                  > tlbusam@f... wrote:
                  > Kevin,
                  > Our daughter Mallory will be seeing Dr. Scott on June 16 for an
                  evaulation. Would you mind telling me if Juliana had both sides
                  operated on at the same time or under one anesthesia. I hope your
                  daughter does wonderful in her recovery and best wishes.

                  > Tom Busam
                  > >
                  > > From: "kevin_c86" <kevin_c86@y...>
                  > > Date: 2005/06/08 Wed AM 11:36:12 EDT
                  > > To: parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com
                  > > Subject: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] Juliana
                  > >
                  > > Juliana had her surgery yesterday with Dr. Scott. He was very
                  happy
                  > > with surgery and said it went even better then he thought.
                  Juliana is
                  > > still in the ICU but is recovering fast and will transfer to
                  another
                  > > roo this afternoon. Thank you all for your support.
                  > >
                  > > You've been invited to visit Juliana Cave's online CarePage.
                  > > A personalized Web page, called a CarePage, has been created
                  > > for Juliana, so you can easily receive
                  > > the latest news, view photos and share messages of support.
                  > >
                  > > To visit the CarePage, please click the link below:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.carepages.com/ServeCarePage?cpn=julianacave
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Service.

                • EDNA mojica
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 16, 2005
                    Hi Kevin:
                    I am glad that Juliana has been doing okay, this is so hard for us adults, I can only imagine for kids. As of right now, I don't even know what to do, I am getting my symptons every day, once or twice a day with nothing to do. I don't even know when I am going to suffer my weakness, I just take it when it comes. I live in Queens New York and the hospital where I had my surgery was in Beth Israel Medical Center in Manhattan.

                    Regards,
                    Edna Mojica

                    <kevin_c86@y...> wrote:
                    > Dear Tom,
                    >
                    > Juliana has a condition called NF 1(neurofibromatosis) which gives
                    her the need to have brain scans every 6 months. The problem that
                    she has is that her left internal cardioid artery is not present,
                    she was born this way. Obviously Dr Scott would be the person to
                    make the decision about Mallory. I would absolutely follow his
                    advice. I can tell you if he is suggesting that they do two
                    separate surgeries that may make sense. Prior to this surgery my
                    daughter has been under anesthesia 4 times before we even new of any
                    risks. I have done a lot of research on this before I brought my
                    daughter to Boston. This type operation is not like a heart by-pass
                    where the results are immediate, the Brain needs to learn that there
                    is a new source of blood flow. Please keep in mind that the
                    Doctors are obligated to give you the worst possible scenario. If I
                    can help you in any other way please do not hesitate to contact me.
                    We will pray for Mallory.

                    > Kevin Cave
                    >

                    > tlbusam@f... wrote:
                    > Kevin,
                    > Our daughter Mallory will be seeing Dr. Scott on June 16 for an
                    evaulation. Would you mind telling me if Juliana had both sides
                    operated on at the same time or under one anesthesia. I hope your
                    daughter does wonderful in her recovery and best wishes.

                    > Tom Busam
                    > >
                    > > From: "kevin_c86" <kevin_c86@y...>
                    > > Date: 2005/06/08 Wed AM 11:36:12 EDT
                    > > To: parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com
                    > > Subject: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] Juliana
                    > >
                    > > Juliana had her surgery yesterday with Dr. Scott. He was very
                    happy
                    > > with surgery and said it went even better then he thought.
                    Juliana is
                    > > still in the ICU but is recovering fast and will transfer to
                    another
                    > > roo this afternoon. Thank you all for your support.
                    > >
                    > > You've been invited to visit Juliana Cave's online CarePage.
                    > > A personalized Web page, called a CarePage, has been created
                    > > for Juliana, so you can easily receive
                    > > the latest news, view photos and share messages of support.
                    > >
                    > > To visit the CarePage, please click the link below:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.carepages.com/ServeCarePage?cpn=julianacave
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Service.

                  • trekkierick2002
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 16, 2005
                      Kevin,

                      Glad to hear Juliana is doing well. We live in Virginia, about 45
                      miles north-west of Roanoke. Hayley's neurologist is in Roanoke. She
                      had never had a MRI until the TIA that she had on 2/1/03. She then
                      MRIs in Oct '03 and one in May '04. Everything has been looking
                      great so far. Will Juliana need surgery on the other side?

                      Regards,

                      <kevin_c86@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                      > >
                      > > Tom Busam
                      > > >
                      > > > From: "kevin_c86" <kevin_c86@y...>
                      > > > Date: 2005/06/08 Wed AM 11:36:12 EDT
                      > > > To: parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com
                      > > > Subject: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] Juliana
                      > > >
                      > > > Juliana had her surgery yesterday with Dr. Scott. He was very
                      > happy
                      > > > with surgery and said it went even better then he thought.
                      > Juliana is
                      > > > still in the ICU but is recovering fast and will transfer to
                      > another
                      > > > roo this afternoon. Thank you all for your support.
                      > > >
                      > > > You've been invited to visit Juliana Cave's online CarePage.
                      > > > A personalized Web page, called a CarePage, has been created
                      > > > for Juliana, so you can easily receive
                      > > > the latest news, view photos and share messages of support.
                      > > >
                      > > > To visit the CarePage, please click the link below:

                      Service.

                    • dareinhart@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 16, 2005
                        --- EDNA mojica <jasjosh2003@...> wrote:
                        Edna, even though you are an adult, you can still
                        contact Dr. Scott at Boston Children's hospital. You
                        could also ask your doctors to consult with him. Dr.
                        Steinberg in California at Stanford is spoken highly
                        of by many adults -- but he is on the other coast, so
                        Dr. Scott might be easier to get to.

                        You can send him an e-mail, just look him up on the
                        Boston Neurological Society list.

                        Hope you get some answers soon.

                        Denyse

                        === message truncated ===

                        Discover Yahoo!
                        http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
                      • mandy harmon
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 20, 2005
                          My daughter is again experiencing some similiar issues, we are now putting
                          her on oxygen for the symptoms

                          Mandy