Re: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] Are your kids tired??

  • Sue McFee
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2004
      HI, Dannette,

      (I think I've corressponded with you or seen your postings on the MM.com msg bd.)
      My son, Kyle (7 1/2yrs post-stroke/surgeries) used to get very tired. I asked a Neurologist about this at a Brain Research forum and he said most definitely, from either or both the stroke and the MM, a person could tire easily. Kyle's was also periodic. I must say, it seems different lately, though. Now, it seems it will go take a nap in the middle of the day (even did this when a friend was over one weekend). He also is susceptible to headaches. But other than when he's had a headache, he has been fine at school this year. It seemed that after Kyle was dx'd and given medicine therapy (Strattera) for ADD, he was better able to cope at school and with homework. The effort to concentrate was such a strain, I think that had a lot to do with his stamina.
      You gotta think that the reduced blood flow would also have an effect. I'll bet he has more pep a few months after the next surgery. Think of the patients who have heart bypass and how much better they feel after surgery! It's very similar, but the new arteries are smaller and new ones will need a chance to grow in before you'll see a big change.
      So, yeah, in the mean time, let the little pumpkin rest! It's only Kindergarten!

      Good luck and God bless!

      sue

      michelle.marengo@... wrote:
      I haven't run into that with Davie...it will be really interesting to see if the 2nd surgery in November helps!! But I think you're doing the right thing...if kids are tired, let 'em sleep! :)

      Take care...November what? Are you a "Dr. Scott groupie" too? :)

      Michelle

      -------------- Original message from "dmvcpa_drogers" : --------------
      Ok, I have a good question for a Friday.

      My son is TIRED all the time. He was Dxed with MM in March'04, and had
      surgery on one side in April, and will have the other side done in
      Nov. He is tired all the time. He falls asleep in class...he is in
      kindergarten. He falls asleep at the lunch table. His teacher tells me
      it is hard for him to get around some times. This does not happen
      EVERY day, but frequently. Is it a "blood flow issue"?? I have asked
      our neuro this, and he said it could be. He could make a good case to
      defend it, but I am wondering if any of your kids have this same
      problem. His teachers are great about letting him nap for a while,
      just because he does have medical issues.

      Just curious if you all have the same problems with your kids being
      tired. By the way, he does get plenty of sleep at night. I have ruled
      that part out. :0)

      Thanks,
      Danette

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • dmvcpa_drogers
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14, 2004
        Sue,
        That is interesting that you mentioned the ADD and effort to
        concentrate. My son is visually impaired and he is in a reg-Ed
        classroom with VI services. He has to really do alot to keep up, and I
        know that has to be a "workout" too. Thank you for that insight. That
        might be another reason for the decreased stamina. He is giving it all
        he can...and then just gives out.

        Danette