Re: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] Pial Synangiosis

  • RGrace5@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2004
      Ginny, that is the surgery that my daughter had 2 yrs ago.If I can answer any
      question please ask away.You may e-mail me direct if you wish at
      RGrace5@....I can even mail you my # if you want to talk.
      Mary Grace

    • RGrace5@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2004
        Just re read and noticedyour question was RE-Done.She ahs had it done just
        once.Has this been suggested by a surgeon for someone?Did it not work the first
        time?
        Mary Grace

      • mdkempes@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2004
          I asked Dr. Scott some time back if the surgery every had to be redone. I can't find his actual response at the momeent but his response was something like "I have never had to re-do a surgery that I had done in the past".

          I may be off slightly on the exact wording but I got the impression that he may have done a surgery or two to correct another surgeons work, but was saying that if it's done correctly the first time, it should never need to be repeated.

          I hope that helps....

          Julia
        • Ginny McCarthy
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2004
            Hi Jane -- my son, Will, had the surgeries on both the left and right sides last year. He had about 12 TIA's since the last operation in October-- all involving numbness in his legs or right hand. In fact, they were increasing in frequency. Most followed a bout of crying. [He is 6.] Dr. Scott was/is his surgeon.

            After the last surgery, Dr. Scott alluded to the fact that the membrane around his brain was a lot thicker than expected and exposing the artery was not as easy as the first time.

            Given the increase in TIAs, he recommended further surgery {basically an additional Pial Synangiosis using a different artery} and operated again this past Monday on his left side. Believe it or not, we are home today- Wednesday!

            So far so good. Dr. Scott mentioned that he was able to do more this time, so we are optimimitic.

            Ginny
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 18, 2004
              HI Ginny
              Glad to hear your home.
              Chloes angiogram is next week, following this the consultants will reveiw thgis and choose what is best to do next. Hope will is feeling okay
              Take care
              All my love
              Jane