Re: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] new member, Dx'ed today

  • Rena
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
      Danette,
      How lucky to have a dx so early. I don't know how old Austin is, but as I have learned all children have about the same response to surgery. They look scary as heck right afterwards and the next day they are ready to go same as always. My son had surgery in June, he was 11 yrs old at the time. He got out of the hospital a day early after the first surgery, and we were sightseeing and getting ice cream 2 days after his surgery. He still had the bandage and was unable to wear one hearing aid or his glasses, but it didn't stop him. After the second surgery he had some mild complications but bounced back quick.

      Due to the swelling he was unable to wear his glasses a few weeks, but I guess some people are able to get the ear pieces bent so they can still wear their glasses, Tyler swelled alot so that wasn't a choice. Of course his ear canals swelled so his hearing aids didn't fit either, so we talked to him loud and just adjusted till he healed.

      Tyler is now 12. He had a stroke before dx so he is working on getting the use of his left arm back, otherwise he is back to him self. Just so you know he is dx with, mild CP, hearing loss, vision impaired, and now Moya moya. He is a wonderful child and a blessing all the time.
      Rena

      dmvcpa_drogers <dsrogers93@...> wrote:
      Good evening.
      My name is Danette and my son, Austin was diagnosed today. We had an
      MRI/MRA two weeks ago for the Moya Moya dx, and it did not rule it
      out. So yesterday, Austin had an anteriogram. It shows right and
      left side narrowed arteries, and Moya Moya vessels developed on the
      right.
      Austin has not been symptomatic at all, just headaches, and his
      MRI/MRA shows no strokes damage. They way Moya Moya was even brought
      into the picture is amazing, and I know it was a God send the reason
      we knew even to suspect it. Austin's ped opthomologist (he is
      visually impaired) is at a research university hospital. They had
      found out that patients who have optic nerve hypoplasia, and have
      morning glory disks are at risk for Moya Moya Disease. I mentioned
      it to our neurosurgeon, but he did not think Austin met the
      criteria. But, he scheduled a MRI/MRA to rule it out...and then had
      the anteriogram, and now we have the dx.

      To make a long story short, I want some help in "what to expect"
      with this, and what kind of prognosis is expected. Any input will be
      greatly appreciated. We expect to do surgery in the next few months.

      Danette , mom to Austin (5, basal encephalocele, septo-optic
      dysplasia, visually impaired, hypopituitarism...and now Moya Moya)

    • dmvcpa_drogers
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
        Rena,
        Thank you for your reply. Austin in 5, and will be 6 in May. I am
        very glad we found out about Moya Moya this soon too. All of his
        doctors are amazed, because as you know, this is rarely detected
        before they have a stroke.
        Austin has had neurosurgery before, but I had not thought about the
        swelling factor for this. I will have to think how we can fix his
        glasses so he can wear them. His blind in his right eye,NLP, but has
        some vision in his left. He had cataracts removed from that eye, so
        he does not have a lense, and wears bi-focals....so he really needs
        his glasses. I would hate for him not to be able to see. How long
        was your son's swelling , that he could not wear his glasses? Did
        they not fit because of the width of them?

        Thank you for your help.
        Danette

        --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com, Rena
        <oneofakindco@y...> wrote:
        > Danette,
        > How lucky to have a dx so early. I don't know how old Austin is,
        but as I have learned all children have about the same response to
        surgery. They look scary as heck right afterwards and the next day
        they are ready to go same as always. My son had surgery in June, he
        was 11 yrs old at the time. He got out of the hospital a day early
        after the first surgery, and we were sightseeing and getting ice
        cream 2 days after his surgery. He still had the bandage and was
        unable to wear one hearing aid or his glasses, but it didn't stop
        him. After the second surgery he had some mild complications but
        bounced back quick.

        > Due to the swelling he was unable to wear his glasses a few weeks,
        but I guess some people are able to get the ear pieces bent so they
        can still wear their glasses, Tyler swelled alot so that wasn't a
        choice. Of course his ear canals swelled so his hearing aids didn't
        fit either, so we talked to him loud and just adjusted till he
        healed.

        > Tyler is now 12. He had a stroke before dx so he is working on
        getting the use of his left arm back, otherwise he is back to him
        self. Just so you know he is dx with, mild CP, hearing loss, vision
        impaired, and now Moya moya. He is a wonderful child and a blessing
        all the time.
        > Rena
      • Rena
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
          Danette,
          Tyler couldn't wear his glasses for about 2 weeks after his second surgery. We tried bending the frames but Tyler had alot of swelling, his temples swelled out beyound his ears. Maybe an elastic strap would help Austin, but I think the doctors don't want anything to touch the incision. Good luck with finding a solution. Also realize that not everyone swells like Tyler did, I have seen pictures of people with minimal swelling.
          You and Austin are in my prayers, Rena

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2004
          • RGrace5@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2004
              Danette, AS you know you are very lucky to have gotten a diagnosis before any
              strokes or TIA's. My daughter was diagnosed 2 yrs. ago and had 2 surgeries,
              but only after having had several strokes.If you have any specific questions
              ask away.kathleen is doing amazing now and has had no new strokes since the
              surgery.I will keepp your family in our prayers.
              Mary Grace

            • dmvcpa_drogers
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2004
                Mary Grace,
                Thank you for your reply. I have tons of questions, so I will try
                to write some down to ask you. We go see our neurologist next
                Monday, the 15th and then we go to our ped neurosurgeon on April 6th
                to schedule surgery. What kinds of questions should I ask the Dr? I
                am starting a list so I can take it with me.

                Where did your daughter have her surgery? How old was she when
                diagnosed? Was her two surgeries from doing each side separate? Does
                she have any other Dx along with Moya Moya? Is she on any meds now?
                I have read patients are sometimes but on baby aspirin for life, as
                preventative measure.

                Still more questions to come.... :0)

                Danette