Re: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] new diagnosis

  • mdkempes@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2003
      Hi Genie,

      I echo what Mary said. Dr. Scott is amazing and I am sure that things will improve for your neice. My daughter just had the surgery in November but was lucky enough to have it diagnosed before she suffered any strokes. I am attaching a link to some information that I found very helpful. It is my understanding that with work and time, children's brains are still growing and therefore can adapt so that differant parts of the brain, begin to handle functions like walking, talking writing etc, that other parts of the brain would have initially handled. The excellent news is she is very young and from what I have read, this surgery may correct the problem forever.....but regardless, she will need to be followed by a neurologist.

      Here is the link, hope it offers valuable info.

      Good Luck,

      Julia

      http://www.boston-neurosurg.org/publications/faq/moyamoyaRMS.shtml