Measles, Mumps & Rubella Jab?

  • Nancy McStravick
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2003
      Has any-one had experience with giving their child, who has MoyaMoya, the
      MMR jab?
      That is, the MEasles, Mumps & Rubbella 3 in 1 injection.
      I am due to give it to my daughter, who had 2 surgeries in July.
      Does any-one have experience good or bad??????
      Thanks in advance
      Nancy

    • beechmyrtle
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2003
        Not sure if this is helpful. Alan had a reaction to his second MMR
        (In Australia we get three jabs when tiny babies) He was about five
        months old and had a febral(Temperature induced) fit reaction to the
        injection. At the time we were concerned but thought nothing of it,
        it was the middle of the night and we weren't thinking properly and
        bought his temp down with baby panadol. He had his first TIA and
        Stokes about two months later and as a result we are sure he had a
        TIA with the second injection as his one sided paralysis was clear
        but of course we missed it as we just thought he has too hot. We
        asked his Paediatrician about it later (After first TIA's etc) and he
        advised not having the third shot as he felt the cover would probably
        be okay and the risk of further temps not worth it. ALan has very
        low tollerance to temperatures. Anything over 39 Deg c has meant
        febral seizures so we are very careful to hit temperatures quickly.
        The problem is measels and mumps would also give devistating
        temperatures over a longer time period so the risks of no cover may
        be worse than some. As he had two of the shots we had some cover and
        the Dr tested for Rubella tolerance and he was covered.
        Being paranoid parents at the time, with no little justification , we
        had wondered it the MMR reaction had been the start of cause of his
        strokes etc. This was before the Moya moya diagnosis. We haven't
        heard of any links of MM being caused by MMR injections - but
        obviously there is a risk of TIA's with an adverse reaction, as with
        anything that takes the core temp up. Hind sight is a wonderful thing
        but perhaps its possible to give Panadol (Tylanol in US) before a
        temp develops as a preventative measure. Alan is now eighteen, and
        while still very suseptable to temperatures, even very hot days and
        dehydration, thankfully he hasn't had measles or mumps either.
        Russell
      • beechmyrtle
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
          Did you ever think that the old tail of not trusting the Husband when
          it comes down to details was true. Especially childhood injections.
          Well you have been proved right. My wife Suzy nearly crowned me.
          Right story wrong needles. Below is our tail of reaction to an
          injection but it was the tripple antigen, and the reaction was to the
          whooping cough component. This part we discontinued after the
          reaction but he had the other two, Diptheria and ? see I still can't
          remember. We did ask our Paediatrician about the MMR but he was fine
          us going ahead. The guts of what I was trying to say was right
          though. Better to have cover on the childhood nasties. Alan will
          tend to react to normal flues and colds etc worse. Sorry about that
          Nancy.
          Regards Russell.
          --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com, "beechmyrtle"