Chicken Pox?

  • mg12061
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
      I wanted to ask if anyone has had any experiencewith chicken pox
      and asprin. Our dilema is that Kahtleen was imunized as a baby but we
      now know that she has no imunity to the CP.We had her tested last
      year when there was a huge outbreak of CP at her school. We decided
      to have ehr tested and she showed no imunity.We decided to just keep
      her home until it passed as apposed to her getting the CP and risking
      Reyes Syndrome(because of the asprin).Now we are thinking about
      imunizing her and taking her off the asprin for the incubation
      period. Becasue it is a live virus she could get a case of the CP
      from the vqccine. Has anyone delt with this dilema?We hate taking her
      off the asprin,but we also hate risking her being exposed and not
      knowing she has the virus and still taking the asprin.
      Mary
    • Rena
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
        I had a similar delimma, the flu was running through the school. Our doctor had said if Tyler was exposed to the flu or had a fever take him off the asprin. This was pre-surgery. We took Tyler off the asprin and he started having TIA a week later. The doctor then said that Reyes syndrom is so rare that the risk was greater of a stroke because of being off the asprin than the risk of Reyes. You'll have to talk to your doctor to see what they think but it did make sense to me.

        mg12061 <RGrace5@...> wrote: I wanted to ask if anyone has had any experiencewith chicken pox
        and asprin. Our dilema is that Kahtleen was imunized as a baby but we
        now know that she has no imunity to the CP.We had her tested last
        year when there was a huge outbreak of CP at her school. We decided
        to have ehr tested and she showed no imunity.We decided to just keep
        her home until it passed as apposed to her getting the CP and risking
        Reyes Syndrome(because of the asprin).Now we are thinking about
        imunizing her and taking her off the asprin for the incubation
        period. Becasue it is a live virus she could get a case of the CP
        from the vqccine. Has anyone delt with this dilema?We hate taking her
        off the asprin,but we also hate risking her being exposed and not
        knowing she has the virus and still taking the asprin.
        Mary

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
          -Mary, fortunately, Maddie had the chicken pox when
          she was three so we did not face your dilema. We do
          face the flu dilema however, so each year, Maddie has
          a flu shot.

          It is not a live virus shot so there's no worry there.
          We were told to take her off the aspirin prior to the
          shot to cut down on bleeding issues. The first time
          we tried taking her off the aspirin the TIAs increased
          in frequency and intensity so we put her back on and
          ditched the flu shot. The next year her doctor
          decided that any bleeding would be minimal and the flu
          shot was more important. She had the shot and didn't
          bleed at all. Last year her doctor decided that we
          all needed to have the flu shot because that would
          provide her even more protection, so we all got the
          shot. I've been getting one for three years now and
          it's well worth not having to put up with the flu.

          Denyse

          -- Rena <oneofakindco@...> wrote:
          > I had a similar delimma, the flu was running through
          > the school. Our doctor had said if Tyler was exposed
          > to the flu or had a fever take him off the asprin.
          > This was pre-surgery. We took Tyler off the asprin
          > and he started having TIA a week later. The doctor
          > then said that Reyes syndrom is so rare that the
          > risk was greater of a stroke because of being off
          > the asprin than the risk of Reyes. You'll have to
          > talk to your doctor to see what they think but it
          > did make sense to me.
          >
          > mg12061 <RGrace5@...> wrote: I wanted to ask if
          > anyone has had any experiencewith chicken pox
          > and asprin. Our dilema is that Kahtleen was imunized
          > as a baby but we
          > now know that she has no imunity to the CP.We had
          > her tested last
          > year when there was a huge outbreak of CP at her
          > school. We decided
          > to have ehr tested and she showed no imunity.We
          > decided to just keep
          > her home until it passed as apposed to her getting
          > the CP and risking
          > Reyes Syndrome(because of the asprin).Now we are
          > thinking about
          > imunizing her and taking her off the asprin for the
          > incubation
          > period. Becasue it is a live virus she could get a
          > case of the CP
          > from the vqccine. Has anyone delt with this
          > dilema?We hate taking her
          > off the asprin,but we also hate risking her being
          > exposed and not
          > knowing she has the virus and still taking the
          > asprin.
          > Mary
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > Terms of Service.

          > removed]

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Nancy McStravick
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
            Can some-one explain the problem with Aspirin & Flu ?

            Thanks

            Nancy

            -- Rena <oneofakindco@...> wrote:
            > I had a similar delimma, the flu was running through
            > the school. Our doctor had said if Tyler was exposed
            > to the flu or had a fever take him off the asprin.
            > This was pre-surgery. We took Tyler off the asprin
            > and he started having TIA a week later. The doctor
            > then said that Reyes syndrom is so rare that the
            > risk was greater of a stroke because of being off
            > the asprin than the risk of Reyes. You'll have to
            > talk to your doctor to see what they think but it
            > did make sense to me.
            >
            > mg12061 <RGrace5@...> wrote: I wanted to ask if
            > anyone has had any experiencewith chicken pox
            > and asprin. Our dilema is that Kahtleen was imunized
            > as a baby but we
            > now know that she has no imunity to the CP.We had
            > her tested last
            > year when there was a huge outbreak of CP at her
            > school. We decided
            > to have ehr tested and she showed no imunity.We
            > decided to just keep
            > her home until it passed as apposed to her getting
            > the CP and risking
            > Reyes Syndrome(because of the asprin).Now we are
            > thinking about
            > imunizing her and taking her off the asprin for the
            > incubation
            > period. Becasue it is a live virus she could get a
            > case of the CP
            > from the vqccine. Has anyone delt with this
            > dilema?We hate taking her
            > off the asprin,but we also hate risking her being
            > exposed and not
            > knowing she has the virus and still taking the
            > asprin.
            > Mary
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > Terms of Service.

            > removed]

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            042054:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124dqs3gk/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
            nattogyo?YH=3656190&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=789359000>

          • Rena
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
              A child isn't suposed to take asprin with a fever, this includeds the flu, because of the chances of Reyes. I had heard so much about it that my children had never taken asprin, I always gave them Tylenol. I will be getting my children the flu shot, just as Denyse's family, this year in order to lessen the risk.
              The doctor's were so unfamaliar with Moya Moya that they didn't want to give my son the shot after diagnosis. However we now know it is the safer route to go.

              -- Rena <oneofakindco@...> wrote:
              > I had a similar delimma, the flu was running through
              > the school. Our doctor had said if Tyler was exposed
              > to the flu or had a fever take him off the asprin.
              > This was pre-surgery. We took Tyler off the asprin
              > and he started having TIA a week later. The doctor
              > then said that Reyes syndrom is so rare that the
              > risk was greater of a stroke because of being off
              > the asprin than the risk of Reyes. You'll have to
              > talk to your doctor to see what they think but it
              > did make sense to me.
              >
              > mg12061 <RGrace5@...> wrote: I wanted to ask if
              > anyone has had any experiencewith chicken pox
              > and asprin. Our dilema is that Kahtleen was imunized
              > as a baby but we
              > now know that she has no imunity to the CP.We had
              > her tested last
              > year when there was a huge outbreak of CP at her
              > school. We decided
              > to have ehr tested and she showed no imunity.We
              > decided to just keep
              > her home until it passed as apposed to her getting
              > the CP and risking
              > Reyes Syndrome(because of the asprin).Now we are
              > thinking about
              > imunizing her and taking her off the asprin for the
              > incubation
              > period. Becasue it is a live virus she could get a
              > case of the CP
              > from the vqccine. Has anyone delt with this
              > dilema?We hate taking her
              > off the asprin,but we also hate risking her being
              > exposed and not
              > knowing she has the virus and still taking the
              > asprin.
              > Mary
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > Terms of Service.

              > removed]

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              042054:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124dqs3gk/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
              nattogyo?YH=3656190&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egrou
              pmail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=789359000>

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Nancy McStravick
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
                Wow! Thanks. My Doctor's didn't mention this.

                Is it correct to say that when taking Aspirin, any fever can cause
                Reyes?

                Thanks

                Nancy

                -- Rena <oneofakindco@...> wrote:
                > I had a similar delimma, the flu was running through
                > the school. Our doctor had said if Tyler was exposed
                > to the flu or had a fever take him off the asprin.
                > This was pre-surgery. We took Tyler off the asprin
                > and he started having TIA a week later. The doctor
                > then said that Reyes syndrom is so rare that the
                > risk was greater of a stroke because of being off
                > the asprin than the risk of Reyes. You'll have to
                > talk to your doctor to see what they think but it
                > did make sense to me.
                >
                > mg12061 <RGrace5@...> wrote: I wanted to ask if
                > anyone has had any experiencewith chicken pox
                > and asprin. Our dilema is that Kahtleen was imunized
                > as a baby but we
                > now know that she has no imunity to the CP.We had
                > her tested last
                > year when there was a huge outbreak of CP at her
                > school. We decided
                > to have ehr tested and she showed no imunity.We
                > decided to just keep
                > her home until it passed as apposed to her getting
                > the CP and risking
                > Reyes Syndrome(because of the asprin).Now we are
                > thinking about
                > imunizing her and taking her off the asprin for the
                > incubation
                > period. Becasue it is a live virus she could get a
                > case of the CP
                > from the vqccine. Has anyone delt with this
                > dilema?We hate taking her
                > off the asprin,but we also hate risking her being
                > exposed and not
                > knowing she has the virus and still taking the
                > asprin.
                > Mary
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > Terms of Service.

                > removed]

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                042054:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124dqs3gk/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
                nattogyo?YH=3656190&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egrou
                pmail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=789359000>

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                042054:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=1246b0b92/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
                nattogyo?YH=3656190&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egrou
                pmail/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=537224324>

              • Nancy McStravick
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
                  I'm worried now. Is there a good website that covers this?

                  Nancy

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
                    As my doctor explained it: Reye's is a very rare syndrom. The chaces of contracting it are very slim, lower than a child with Moya Moya having a stroke. It scared me too. However, since the dose of asprin is low the risk are lower, compared to him getting the asprin for a fever.
                    I still give Tyler Tylenol for a fever and just keep a close eye on him< the same as I have always when he's sick. I haven't seen a website on Reye's, but I haven't been looking. The Moya Moya had me alot more scared, and I wanted to get one thing taken cared of before scaring myself more. I'm sure a search would turn something up, I'll let you know what I find.
                    Rena

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
                      I've tried to do a bit of research on the Reyes Syndrome, but there isn't
                      much info on the subject. They say the risks are low but that is because they
                      really haven't seen any cases of this. But this seems more a reflection of the
                      fact that kids just don't take asprin anymore.This makes it look like the # of
                      cases are very low.Since Kathleen was diagnosed with MM I have never listened
                      to "the odds" She has been on the wrong side of "the odds" twice. She was born
                      with Down Syndrome and Moya moya.she does get the flu shot this is safe as
                      someone else said because it's not a live virus.My Dr. actually read the pamphlet
                      that comes with the vaccine and it says that anyone under 17 and on asprin
                      therapy should get this.I worried about this last year durring the CPs outbreak
                      and feel like I will worry until she is 17 about this.No decision is 100%
                      safe. Ultimatly the decision will be mine becasue the Dr. can't say either way
                      to go is best.Reyes Syndrome scares me because it affects the brain and there
                      is nothing you can do to stop it, it just happens.The risk I was told is with
                      any seriouse virus with a high fever.With just high fever my concern is
                      dehydration We almost ended up in the ER last year becasue she had a fever for 3
                      days and was not drinking. She finally started to drink a bit.Thanks for all
                      your responses.It's nice to know I'm not the only person dealing with this.
                      Mary