RE: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] (unknown)Sandy...

  • Nancy McStravick
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
      Hi Mary,

      We were told that when Emily has her next MRI (first after her
      operation) that there is a good chance that you wont see any difference
      between the MRI before her operation & afterwards.

      You mentioned that there was "new collateral growth" on Kathleen's
      angiogram. Are these collateral's around the new vessels or around the
      old damaged vessels?

      Thanks Nance

      PS What is your Irish connection? With names like Mary & Kathleen? I am
      from the west of Ireland

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
        Nance, The new growth in Kathleen's brain is from the surgery.Where they
        placed new vessels from her scalp on both sides the goal is for this to start new
        collaterol growth and it did. He said it was the best growth he has seen from
        this operation. Which is good because the diseased vessels have gotten much
        worse very quickly.The idea though is that this new growth is to compensate for
        the diseased vessels.She is living proof that this works!! seeing how she has
        had no new strokes.At the time of surgery she was haveing strokes very
        quickly and much more severe. I am convinced that if she hadn't had the surgery she
        would not be here today.
        Our Irish connection is hereditary my husband and I have strong Irish
        backgrounds and are very proud of it. I also have a daughter Kelly Eileen,a son
        Patrick Daniel. Oh yeah and our last name is Grace.Hows that for Irish
        names.If you have any more questions please feel free to ask I will do my best to
        help.
        Mary Grace

      • LONNIE NORMAN
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 17, 2003
          mary, Sorry I do not check my email but once a week hopefully soon I will check every two days to answer your question the doctors in Florida say they can do nothing for Samantha because she has done better than they ever expected they said she would never talk again she has she has TIA's not to often seizures are controlled by medicine they say she should be paralized but she is still walking she is now eating regular food which they thought would never happen she still has her button to be feed by but we do not often use it. so to the doctors here she is proving them wrong in ever way which makes me and my husband very happy. Our other two girls understand what the doctors tell us because we donot hide anything from them and they are a very big help my oldest is 10years old and if needed she could change Samantha's g-tube button and know and can give her, her medicine. that helps me out a lot
          Sandy

          RGrace5@... wrote:
          Sandy, What do they mean "nothing more they can do" ? Is she still having
          trouble with strokes? How old is she now? and how much has she regained after the
          strokes? Did she have an angiogram to see how much new colateral growth has
          taken place since the surgeries? Kathleen had 2 surgeries last year she has
          had at least 5 strokes One (after the first surgery) left her with no use of
          her left side, and almost no speech.It has been a year now and she is almost
          walking, and talking pretty good. She is useing her left arm a bit.She also had
          an angiogram which showed excellent new colaterol growth. Her surgeon was very
          possitive about this outcome and what it means for her future.
          Mary

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT