RE: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] (unknown)

  • LONNIE NORMAN
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
      My six year old daughter had her first surgery when she was 11 months old she had a stroke th very next day. It took her speech and her fine motor skills she had to learn things all over again she was doing real good and when she was 4 years they did the other side of the brain and she had a stroke the next day. the doctors said she would never talk again because it took her able to talk, eat, and swallow however it has been a very hard road but she is talking agian she can eat food she still has problems swallowing sometimes but all in all she is doing good.. We just saw the neurogist twq weeks ago and he said he never expected to see Samantha doing as good as she is but that there is nothing more they can do for her.
      Sandy

      My daughter has just had both side operated on. I have read that the
      risk of stroke from the surgery is 4-6 weeks after the surgery. Do any
      of you have any experience of this? Did any of your children have a
      stroke after the surgery and what was the reason?

      Thanks

      Nancy

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
        I have never heard of williams diease but just knowing someone else out there can relate to our situation makes me feel better. I am sorry to hear she is not doing well. I also am glad to hear that life span doesnot count. We are checking into other Drs just to see what they say about the diease. thank you for the input and you are right it is in GODS hands
        Sandy

        mandy harmon <HarmonMandy@...> wrote:
        My daughter has williams and moya moya syndrome. When she was first
        diagnoised with moya moya we were told she would live to 9-10 years and
        surgery was not possible only blood thinner. We found another Dr and
        (Scott) She had 2 surgeries and is now 10 1/2. She is having alot of
        trouble but it is possible it is from some of her other problems. Several
        Drs mention a short life span with her combination of issues but others
        disagree. I say it is best left to God!! I quit guesing ehr life span- it
        doesnt add any time.

        I hope your daughter does well. If I can help- I would love to. mandy

        >From: LONNIE NORMAN <lnorman88@...>
        >To: parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Parenting Children with Moyamoya] (unknown)
        >Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:57:02 -0700 (PDT)
        >
        >Hello,
        > I have a six year old daughter who was diagnosed with moya moya when
        >she was 11months old they did the EDA surgery on her and she had a massive
        >stroke. which she slowly recovered from then when she was 3 years old they
        >did the other side of the brain. She had another massive stroke and the
        >doctors say she would never speak again however they were wrong she can
        >talk but not like a normal 6 year old. Now there is nothing the doctors
        >say they can do. We are wanting to know if someone has more information on
        >this disease and can give us some light into the subject.. Thursday our
        >neurologist told us the lifespan for a small child is usually only up to
        >10years. Does anyone know different. Is there any hope out there for our
        >Samantha?

      • LONNIE NORMAN
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
          USA, Florida to be exact
          the first surgery Dr. Mickle the second Dr. Pinus how trained under Dr, Scott
          the next day of Both and yes I would love to have there email to just see what they say thank you,
          Sandy

          Nancy McStravick <nancymcstravick@...> wrote:Hi Lonnie,

          I am so sorry to hear about your little girl. I can't imagine how you
          got through that.

          My little girl (22months) just had both sides operated on within the one
          week at Great Ormond Street Hospital in the UK

          Thankfully she hasn't had a stroke since. Her first stroke was in March.

          I would strongly recommend that you get on the various internet sites
          and read about Moyamoya. I think you will find that it is quite positive
          regarding the operations for Moyamoya. I have never heard of a life span
          of 10 years and in fact it is most common age to get Moyamoya is either
          7 year olds or when you are in your 30's/40's.

          As this is the case, the life span couldn't be 10 years!!

          Can you tell me:

          * Where you are from? i.e. USA, UK etc.
          * Who did your surgery?
          * How soon after surgery did your daughter have her strokes?

          If you are in the USA, you will find that there seems to be 2 experts,
          Dr. Scott in Boston and Dr. Steinberg in Stanford. I have both there
          e-mail address' if you need it.

          Moyamoya is a very serious condition but my personal opinion is if you
          have the surgery early enough then it should be ok. That's what we are
          hoping anyway

          Please do reply with the answers to my questions and good luck

          Nancy

          I have a six year old daughter who was diagnosed with moya moya when
          she was 11months old they did the EDA surgery on her and she had a
          massive stroke. which she slowly recovered from then when she was 3
          years old they did the other side of the brain. She had another massive
          stroke and the doctors say she would never speak again however they were
          wrong she can talk but not like a normal 6 year old. Now there is
          nothing the doctors say they can do. We are wanting to know if someone
          has more information on this disease and can give us some light into the
          subject.. Thursday our neurologist told us the lifespan for a small
          child is usually only up to 10years. Does anyone know different. Is
          there any hope out there for our Samantha?

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          042054:HM/A=1595056/R=0/SIG=124bf4lrb/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
          nattogyo?YH=3512152&yhad=1595056> Click Here!

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1595056/rand=244334727>

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
            no just moya moya we are checking into other doctors. How young was your daughter when diagonsed

            dareinhart@... wrote:Lonnie, I am so sorry to hear about the difficulties
            you and your daughter have faced. I would strongly
            urge you to seek another opinion on your daughter.
            Does she have another disease/syndrome besides
            moyamoya? I have never heard of a 10 year life span.
            In fact, I was told that moyamoya is not usually
            fatal. My daughter is 11, she had surgery at 6.

            In terms of progress from the strokes, children's
            brains continue to rewire until at least the age of
            14, maybe longer in some cases. Is your daughter
            receiving therapies? While the stroke damage cannot be
            repaired, I would think your daughter would still
            benefit from therapies, especially if she's already
            done something -- i.e. talk -- that the doctors said
            she would never do.

            Keep fighting. Denyse

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 29, 2007
              How wonderful!!! Great news..:)

              Sara
              mother to Keith direct bypass on left and right side March 15th and 23 of
              2006

            • Laurie Park
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
                Hi All,
                After complaining about yet another message from the singles group, my husband pointed out the nifty little button at the bottom of this page labeled "Spam". Go ahead and click on it to avoid receiving any more unwanted messages.

                Hope this works!
                Laurie

              • jane wood
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 6, 2007
                  Hi Laurie
                  This will probably stop you from recieving all mail from the site though ???
                  I think ???
                  Jane x

                  Laurie Park <sparkln13@...> wrote:
                  Hi All,
                  After complaining about yet another message from the singles group, my husband pointed out the nifty little button at the bottom of this page labeled "Spam". Go ahead and click on it to avoid receiving any more unwanted messages.

                  Hope this works!
                  Laurie

                • Elizabeth Mangus
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 6, 2007
                    No, it does not stop messages from the group, just from where the spam originates from. Very useful....

                    Elizabeth M
                    Daughter of Madeline