introduction

  • xiaoming54
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2003
      My five-year-old son was diagnosed with MM last week by Dr. Scott in
      Boston. We are now anxiously waiting a date for surgery. He has
      only had one TIA in early February [which was originally thought to
      be a migraine with numbness in his hand] but we got to a neurologist
      ASAP and the testing confirmed the MM.

      In the weirdest of coincidences, my cousin's son had the same
      disease & surgery nine years ago. He put us in touch with Dr.
      Scott. He is now a freshman in high school-- with all A's -- so I
      have to be optimistic. [My son was adopted from China -- so there
      is no blood relationship with my cousin.]

      Does anyone have any suggestions [books, etc] that would help me to
      explain to my son about hospital stays, surgery etc.?

      Thanks for your help.

      Ginny
    • leilei543
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2003
        Hi Ginny,
        Here is a link to a site that has a listing of books that you and
        your child can read to prepare for the hospital stay:

        http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/visit/stay/books/default.htm

        My son was also diagnosed at 5 by Dr. Scott, had his surgery at
        chilrens in Boston and was fine. They really go out of their way to
        make the children feel comfortable. He was admitted the day before
        his surgery so we had that whole day to explore, meet and get
        comfortable. We brought some of his favorite things in a
        backpack...games, books, and a few toys. The hospital also has many
        activities going on. By day two after the surgery he was up and
        ready to start moving around and they had several different shows or
        activities a day that the children can participate in.

        -Leigh
        --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com, "xiaoming54"
        <vmccarthy@a...> wrote:
        > My five-year-old son was diagnosed with MM last week by Dr. Scott
        in
        > Boston. We are now anxiously waiting a date for surgery. He has
        > only had one TIA in early February [which was originally thought to
        > be a migraine with numbness in his hand] but we got to a
        neurologist
        > ASAP and the testing confirmed the MM.
        >
        > In the weirdest of coincidences, my cousin's son had the same
        > disease & surgery nine years ago. He put us in touch with Dr.
        > Scott. He is now a freshman in high school-- with all A's -- so I
        > have to be optimistic. [My son was adopted from China -- so there
        > is no blood relationship with my cousin.]
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions [books, etc] that would help me to
        > explain to my son about hospital stays, surgery etc.?
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Ginny
      • trekkierick2002
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21, 2003
          Ginny,

          My three-year old daughter is having surgery in three weeks in
          Boston. We got her a book called 'Franklin Goes To The Hospital'.
          It's a fantastic book to get for children who are going to have
          surgery and stay in the hospital. We purchased it from Waldenbooks,
          but I'm sure any book store should carry it.

          Good luck,
          Ricky

          <vmccarthy@a...> wrote:
          > My five-year-old son was diagnosed with MM last week by Dr. Scott
          in
          > Boston. We are now anxiously waiting a date for surgery. He has
          > only had one TIA in early February [which was originally thought
          > be a migraine with numbness in his hand] but we got to a
          neurologist
          > ASAP and the testing confirmed the MM.
          >
          > In the weirdest of coincidences, my cousin's son had the same
          > disease & surgery nine years ago. He put us in touch with Dr.
          > Scott. He is now a freshman in high school-- with all A's -- so I
          > have to be optimistic. [My son was adopted from China -- so there
          > is no blood relationship with my cousin.]
          >
          > Does anyone have any suggestions [books, etc] that would help me
          > explain to my son about hospital stays, surgery etc.?
          >
          > Thanks for your help.
          >
          > Ginny
        • xiaoming54
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 22, 2003
            Thanks so much for the book suggestions.

            Ginny