Has anyone else had this happen?

  • djkrn2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 10, 2002
      Geoff had a TIA/stroke last week that affected only his right hand,
      but it has been two years since his surgeries and a year since his
      last TIA. He still has residual weakness and numbness in his Right
      hand and is going to start therapy this week. They don't understand
      why it happened or why it didn't fully resolve as he doesn't have any
      signs on the MRI/MRA of anything permanent. She hopes it will
      continue to resolve, but it is still significantly weaker than the
      left and it is completely numb...

      Has anyone else had something like this happen after surgery?

      Thanks,
      Debbie
    • dareinhart@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 10, 2002
        -Debbie, sorry about Geoff's TIA/stroke. I hope it
        resolves soon. Unfortunately, Maddie still has TIA's.
        They only happy when she hyperventilates. On Friday
        she was playing the flute at school and she said she
        couldn't feel anything from the waist down for about 8
        minutes. After that she was fine. It does make me
        nervous that something bad will happen. I told her to
        take more breaks while she's playing.

        Was Geoff doing anything that would cause
        hyperventilation when this happened? Was he
        dehydrated? We were told not to let Maddie get
        dehydrated. Hope things are getting better.

        Denyse

        -- djkrn2000 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > Geoff had a TIA/stroke last week that affected only
        > his right hand,
        > but it has been two years since his surgeries and a
        > year since his
        > last TIA. He still has residual weakness and
        > numbness in his Right
        > hand and is going to start therapy this week. They
        > don't understand
        > why it happened or why it didn't fully resolve as he
        > doesn't have any
        > signs on the MRI/MRA of anything permanent. She
        > hopes it will
        > continue to resolve, but it is still significantly
        > weaker than the
        > left and it is completely numb...
        >
        > Has anyone else had something like this happen after
        > surgery?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Debbie

        http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
      • djkrn2000
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 11, 2002
          -Denyse:
          Thanks for responding. He wasn't doing anything strenuous, but he had
          been in the hospital for an asthma flareup about 3 weeks ago, and he
          was dehydrated. We have tried to keep him drinking, but, he is 15, and
          has a mind of his own. He understands how important it is now. He
          also takes an aspirin a day.

          the dr. thinks it may have a connection to tthe asthma medications
          and the dehydration. I just hope it all comes back.

          Debbie
          -- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@y..., <dareinhart@y...> wrote:
          > -Debbie, sorry about Geoff's TIA/stroke. I hope it
          > resolves soon. Unfortunately, Maddie still has TIA's.
          > They only happy when she hyperventilates. On Friday
          > she was playing the flute at school and she said she
          > couldn't feel anything from the waist down for about 8
          > minutes. After that she was fine. It does make me
          > nervous that something bad will happen. I told her to
          > take more breaks while she's playing.
          >
          > Was Geoff doing anything that would cause
          > hyperventilation when this happened? Was he
          > dehydrated? We were told not to let Maddie get
          > dehydrated. Hope things are getting better.
          >
          > Denyse
          >
          > -- djkrn2000 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > Geoff had a TIA/stroke last week that affected only
          > > his right hand,
          > > but it has been two years since his surgeries and a
          > > year since his
          > > last TIA. He still has residual weakness and
          > > numbness in his Right
          > > hand and is going to start therapy this week. They
          > > don't understand
          > > why it happened or why it didn't fully resolve as he
          > > doesn't have any
          > > signs on the MRI/MRA of anything permanent. She
          > > hopes it will
          > > continue to resolve, but it is still significantly
          > > weaker than the
          > > left and it is completely numb...
          > >
          > > Has anyone else had something like this happen after
          > > surgery?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Debbie

          > http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
        • harmonmandy
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 11, 2002
            --Hannah just started this week complaining of numbess in her right
            leg. It has also been 2 years since surgery. We go to the
            neurologist wed. I have not noticed any residual weakness but she
            has had several episodes. She does have headaches after any blowing-
            baloons, flutes, running too hard. I do hope your son Geoff
            recovers soon-keep us posted. Mandy

            - In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@y..., djkrn2000 <n-=
            > Geoff had a TIA/stroke last week that affected only his right hand,
            > but it has been two years since his surgeries and a year since his
            > last TIA. He still has residual weakness and numbness in his Right
            > hand and is going to start therapy this week. They don't
            understand
            > why it happened or why it didn't fully resolve as he doesn't have
            any
            > signs on the MRI/MRA of anything permanent. She hopes it will
            > continue to resolve, but it is still significantly weaker than the
            > left and it is completely numb...
            >
            > Has anyone else had something like this happen after surgery?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Debbie
          • Rhonda Gasiorowski
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 12, 2002
              Debbie, This may not be the same, but my 9 yr. old daughter had a stroke in May, days after her second surgery.
              She now has aphasia, rt hemi, cognitive skills are very affected and we are having MAJOR behavior problems.

              Has anyone experienced any of this?
              THANKS, Rhonda

            • harmonmandy
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 12, 2002
                ---is aphasia reduced blood flow to the brain?mandy

                In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@y..., "Rhonda Gasiorowski"
                <lovemom@w...> wrote:
                > Debbie, This may not be the same, but my 9 yr. old daughter had a
                stroke in May, days after her second surgery.
                > She now has aphasia, rt hemi, cognitive skills are very affected
                and we are having MAJOR behavior problems.

                > Has anyone experienced any of this?
                > THANKS, Rhonda

              • djkrn2000
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 12, 2002
                  I knew that the risk was pretty high right after surgery, but I
                  thought we were doing so well....it was quite a shock. I just hope
                  it comes back. Apasia is the inability to express your thoughts
                  either correctly or at all and can be caused by reduced blood flow
                  to the part of the brain that controls speech.

                  Debbie
                  --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@y..., harmonmandy <no_reply@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > ---is aphasia reduced blood flow to the brain?mandy
                  >

                  > In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@y..., "Rhonda Gasiorowski"
                  > <lovemom@w...> wrote:
                  > > Debbie, This may not be the same, but my 9 yr. old daughter had a
                  > stroke in May, days after her second surgery.
                  > > She now has aphasia, rt hemi, cognitive skills are very affected
                  > and we are having MAJOR behavior problems.
                  > >
                  > > Has anyone experienced any of this?
                  > > THANKS, Rhonda

                • djkrn2000
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 12, 2002
                    Rhonda-
                    I know that the risks are high right after surgery, but I was hoping
                    that we could breathe a little easier at this point, I guess not, huh?
                    We were just starting to feel more comfortable letting him be a
                    "normal" kid and do more things that he wanted to do. Now I feel like
                    that mother that just found all of this out. I feel like I did right
                    after surgery when the risks were really high. I know it is going to
                    be a lifelong struggle, but I guess it is all just hitting me now.

                    thanks for your response, and I hope your daughter continues to
                    improve as well. My prayers are with everyone who has been touched
                    by this disease . My thoughts are with all of you.

                    Debbie

                    <lovemom@w...> wrote:
                    > Debbie, This may not be the same, but my 9 yr. old daughter had a
                    stroke in May, days after her second surgery.
                    > She now has aphasia, rt hemi, cognitive skills are very affected and
                    we are having MAJOR behavior problems.

                    > Has anyone experienced any of this?
                    > THANKS, Rhonda

                  • djkrn2000
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 12, 2002
                      Mandy.

                      I hope that these syptoms resolve. I know how scary it is. I hope
                      it is just a passing thing. Did Hannah have any residual effects
                      from her moyamoya? Did she have a stroke before or during the
                      surgeries, or was her problem mostly TIA's like Geoff.? Geoff plays
                      the baritone, and he hasn't had any problems with that until now, with
                      his hand, and he also plays the drums, which he can do, but not with
                      the flare he used to. This whole thing is almost as hard as going
                      through the whole process again.