175Re: New Diagnosis

  • djkrn2000
    Jun 3, 2003
      --- In parentingchildrenwithmoyamoya@yahoogroups.com, olive_turley
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > My niece of 20 months was diagnosed with Moya Moya yesterday in
      the
      > UK. Do any of you have websites for US treatment centres with #
      of
      > operations carried out etc?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Olive.

      I have read all of the messages attached to this one, and I am sorry
      for your neice's diagnosis, but the good news is that the treatments
      are very effective.

      My son was 13 when diagnosed and underwent the indirect
      approach.That was 2 years ago, and yes it does take 6 months, to a
      year for the vessels to fully develop, but we started seeing
      improvement immediately. The TIA's became less and less frequent,
      and less and less severe. His last TIA was about 6 months ago, and a
      year before that one. He functions like a normal boy of age 15 now,
      with the exception of wearing a helmet for many activities, that
      other boys of that age might not.He was not a candidate for the
      direct approach because of the location of his blockages, and we
      could not be more pleased with the Dr. the hospital, or the
      procedure. the Dr. fully expects him to get to a point where he has
      no more Tia's at all.

      He has a beautiful voice, and is very involved in Chorus, Jazz
      Choir, Madrigals, etc, and I thank God every time I see him, or hear
      his voice that we were able to get help for him. I hope your neice
      gets the same quality care and does well.

      Please feel free to contact me at my email address if you would like
      more information. djkmomo3@...

      Debbie Kasper
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic