[panflute-world] Making a Panpipe

  • R.P. Koster
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2000
      Hello everyone, in particular Someet Narang and others who want to start making a
      Romanian:

      someet narang wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I wonder if you could help me build a 22 pipe panflute
      > 1. What should be the lenths and diameters of each tube?
      > 2. Should I be choosing a particular bamboo?
      > 3. What should I use to close the other end of the tube?
      > 4. Would baking in oven for a few mins be sufficient to treat the bamboo?
      > 5. Any special precautions??
      >
      > With regards,
      > Someet Narang (India)

      These questions have been discussed before in this group; it's worthwhile
      investing a few hours to scan through all that has been posted since May 1998.
      About the above questions regarding geometries I gave my opinion in message # 409
      (Dec 3, 1998). Follow this link:

      http://www.egroups.com/group/panflute-world/408.html?

      Any bamboo or other material that is not extremely porous or flexible will
      suffice to make a top quality panflute. For those who don't have power equipment
      available the advantage of bamboo is that you can quickly create the joining
      surfaces between tubes by simply splitting with a knife and then flatten (if
      necessary) and fine polish them with sandpaper on a flat surface. About how to
      join and seal tubes I gave my opinion in message # 406 (Dec 1, 1998). Follow this
      link:

      http://www.egroups.com/group/panflute-world/406.html?

      About obtaining the curvature, Dick wrote something a few days ago, which is
      pretty similar to how I do it. See also message # 399 (Nov 26, 1998). Follow this
      link:

      http://www.egroups.com/group/panflute-world/399.html?

      If the bamboo is already dry, no special treatment is needed, although there is
      nothing wrong with treatments such as have been discussed here the past few
      weeks. Lately I have been using thick-walled bamboo with a resonance similar to
      hard wood. I widened the insides with a metal drill: just hold the tube and the
      drill head will search its way down. Do this from both sides. With the right
      drillling speed the drill will warm up, but not excessively, giving a baking
      treatment to the tubes and at the same time mechanically densify the material (be
      careful when doing this with thin-walled tubes!). The standard 15 mm metal drills
      available over here are long enough to do this for tubes down to E1 (about 300 mm
      long).

      Hopefully you will succeed and tell us your experiences, unlike some others who
      only wrote once or twice with questions only.

      Rolf