Congratulations Ulli

  • Brad White
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
      Lord of the Rings won an Academy Award tonight for Best Sound Track

      And our own Ulii was apart of that!! Congratulations Ulli!! ... brad
    • Ulli
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hi Brad

        Thankyou very much for your congratulation. I want to say, I'm only
        a very little part of that great music...., but I got a personal
        letter from Howard Shore, how much he and others liked my playing.
        That is a big honour for me.
        Last night, my friend Laurentiu ( Tambalist from Rumania ) and I, we
        went to a phantastic concert of Cornel Pana in Swizerland, so I say
        now :" Congratulations Cornel !!!" It was a big fun to stay with him
        after the concert and play together rumanian music, he is such a
        very kind person and great virtuoso !!! Than, at three in the
        morning, I was back home and saw the live-broadcast of the oscar-
        show... Now, next morning, the telephone does not stop ringing,
        newspapers and radiostations ask for interview. Crazy, I played only
        two minutes !!!!
        Kind regards, Ulli

        --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, Brad White <bwhite@p...>

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
          On Sunday, February 29, 2004, at 11:03 PM, Ulli wrote:

          > Now, next morning, the telephone does not stop ringing,
          > newspapers and radiostations ask for interview. Crazy, I played only
          > two minutes !!!!
          > Kind regards, Ulli

          It sounds like the perfect day :)... enjoy -brad
        • Dave Pighills
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
            Hi Ulli.....

            2 minutes but 2 fantastic and important minutes. Many congratulations !!
            The Cornel Pana concert sounds wonderful...I'll bet you had a great
            time...
            Regards to you and Laurentiu.

            Best wishes

            David

            wrote:
            > Lord of the Rings won an Academy Award tonight for Best Sound Track
            >
            > And our own Ulii was apart of that!! Congratulations Ulli!! ...
            brad

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Dr. Pascal RUZETTE
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
              Hi Ulli,

              i'm so glad for you. I saw the movie, and told to my wife :"Listen, it's
              Ulrich Herkenhoff who plays the panflute".

              Greetings from Belgium

              Pascal Ruzette

              wrote:
              > Lord of the Rings won an Academy Award tonight for Best Sound Track
              >
              > And our own Ulii was apart of that!! Congratulations Ulli!! ...
              brad

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • yoemichel
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
                Hi, all!
                What is the exact part of the movie when Ulli play the
                panflute...? The flute of James Galway seems to confusing
                me because it sounds similar to a panflute (or the
                opposite?)

                Thank you all

              • Brad White
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
                  On Monday, March 1, 2004, at 11:17 AM, yoemichel wrote:

                  > Hi, all!
                  > What is the exact part of the movie when Ulli play the
                  > panflute...? The flute of James Galway seems to confusing
                  > me because it sounds similar to a panflute (or the
                  > opposite?)
                  >
                  > Thank you all

                  It comes in and out in different sections.. a part of the orchestra
                  instrumentation.. a horn plays the melody and then the panflute comes
                  in with the melody.. more lower notes as I remember ... brad
                • yoemichel
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
                    thank you, Brad

                  • Alan E. Bell
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
                      Dear Ulli,

                      Very many congratulations on your success. This I am sure will open up
                      great possibilities for you.

                      I am pleased too that you have finally been able to meet up with Cornel.
                      He's great fun when he is able to relax after his performances. It would be
                      great if you and he were able to do something together.

                      As a matter of interest, what was the content of his concert? He usually
                      plays quite a lot of classical music.

                      From Irene and me, our best wishes for your continuing success in the
                      future.

                      Alan

                      > Thankyou very much for your congratulation. I want to say, I'm only
                      > a very little part of that great music...., but I got a personal
                      > letter from Howard Shore, how much he and others liked my playing.
                      > That is a big honour for me.
                      > Last night, my friend Laurentiu ( Tambalist from Rumania ) and I, we
                      > went to a phantastic concert of Cornel Pana in Swizerland, so I say
                      > now :" Congratulations Cornel !!!" It was a big fun to stay with him
                      > after the concert and play together rumanian music, he is such a
                      > very kind person and great virtuoso !!! Than, at three in the
                      > morning, I was back home and saw the live-broadcast of the oscar-
                      > show... Now, next morning, the telephone does not stop ringing,
                      > newspapers and radiostations ask for interview. Crazy, I played only
                      > two minutes !!!!
                      > Kind regards, Ulli
                      >

                      > --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, Brad White <bwhite@p...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Lord of the Rings won an Academy Award tonight for Best Sound Track
                      > >
                      > > And our own Ulii was apart of that!! Congratulations Ulli!! ...
                      > brad
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Costel Puscoiu
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
                        Congratulation !

                        Costel

                        wrote:
                        > Lord of the Rings won an Academy Award tonight for Best Sound Track
                        >
                        > And our own Ulii was apart of that!! Congratulations Ulli!! ...
                        brad

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Michael Hönnig
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                          Hi Tommy,

                          >My friend wants to buy a panflute, but he is not sure is it better to buy
                          >a panflute in key C or the tradition G. He is a real beginner and the
                          >music he wants to play is mostly popular music. Songs from The Beatles and
                          >Abba ect. As a beginner it is not easy for him to play the chromatics and
                          >he said the less he must "tilt" the flute, the better. If you want to
                          >play the well known pop songs, is it better to Have a G or C ? What is
                          >your experience.

                          To get you an idea: For playing the panflute for about two month now, my
                          "repertoire" comprises songs like "Morning has Broken",
                          "Greensleeves" or "El Condor Pasa". I only have a cheap but
                          playable 18 pipe panflute (80 Euro) yet. It is tuned starting with G.
                          1 1/2 ocataves higher it was already 1 tone off, which I fixed utilizing
                          an electroning tuning device.

                          The lowest 12 tones do sound right, the second half of the second octave
                          somewhat, but the hightst few pipes sound shrill. This might be partly
                          because I am a beginner and don't blow right, but partly I guess it is
                          the cheap flute. What makes me think this: I guess, if the flute were
                          right, I would at least once in a while for an accident get a right tone
                          out of the high pipes.

                          Thus, I have to play all songs quint lower than it is supposed to be.
                          (Question to those who know it better: Is this a big mistake?) This way,
                          all songs fit into the playable range, just "El Condor Pasa" stretches
                          it, by going into quite high areas where the pipes start to sound shrill.

                          If my panflute was tuned C, I guess, I could play everything on the right
                          pipes, with the exception of "El Condor Pasa", which then would
                          definitely run into shrill pipes. But to play this correctly with my G
                          tuned pipe, no way for me.

                          I cannot change the tuning to C anyway, the lowest pipes cork plug is
                          already almost at the end of the pipe.

                          As I said, I am a bloody beginner and amatheur who does not know diddly
                          squat about music and especially the panpipe. But maybe the perception
                          of a beginner gives some ideas for you, your friend, and for the
                          professionals what to look at.

                          Michael

                          P.S. To the professionals: Correct me, where I am wrong, but don't beat
                          me too hard ;-)
                        • Michael Hönnig
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                            Hi Tommy,

                            >I translated you letter to my friend. The panflute imn key C can also begin
                            >with note C. The difference is does your flute have F or F# note ?
                            >Key G is C D E F# G A B
                            >Key C is C D E F G A B C

                            See, I was not even aware of that. Mine has F, no F#.

                            Michael
                          • Kevin
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                              Michael Hönnig wrote:

                              > "Greensleeves" or "El Condor Pasa". I only have a cheap but
                              > playable 18 pipe panflute (80 Euro) yet.
                              > The lowest 12 tones do sound right, the second half of the second octave
                              > somewhat, but the hightst few pipes sound shrill.

                              Hi Michael,

                              Are the tubes the same diamter or do they vary? The highest notes always
                              sound shrill at first, and and really, they are so high you hardly use
                              them. You do have to develop good control over the lip muscles, and
                              breathing muscles.

                              > Thus, I have to play all songs quint lower than it is supposed to be.
                              > (Question to those who know it better: Is this a big mistake?)

                              Not at all...if you like the sound.

                              > As I said, I am a bloody beginner and amatheur who does not know diddly
                              > squat about music and especially the panpipe. But maybe the perception
                              > of a beginner gives some ideas for you, your friend, and for the
                              > professionals what to look at.

                              Your experience is helpful and useful. No one will hit you, and you
                              should not hit yourself either. ;-)

                              Kevin
                            • Kevin
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                                tommy wrote:

                                > My friend wants to buy a panflute, but he is not sure is it better to buy
                                > a panflute in key C or the tradition G. He is a real beginner and the
                                > music he wants to play is mostly popular music. Songs from The Beatles and
                                > Abba ect.

                                Take a look at the music. A lot of the Beatles music was written in flat
                                keys. If he does not mind transposing, it does not matter.

                                As a beginner it is not easy for him to play the chromatics and
                                > he said the less he must "tilt" the flute, the better.

                                Suggest he work on this...it is worth it!

                                If you want to
                                > play the well known pop songs, is it better to Have a G or C ? What is
                                > your experience.

                                If you are going to play Romnian folk music, or try to learn from
                                Romanian recordings, then G is much better. Otherwise, I see no reason
                                for it. C makes more sense, like a flute, recorder, oboe, etc. I make
                                pan flutes in C all the time. Since you can change the tuning later, in
                                10 minutes, it does not matter so much. it is not like marriage or a mortgage.

                                (I have had a mortgage, but not been married, so I do not really know
                                what that is like...maybe it IS like a marriage)

                                Kevin
                              • Michael Hönnig
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                                  Hi Kevin,

                                  >> "Greensleeves" or "El Condor Pasa". I only have a cheap but
                                  >> playable 18 pipe panflute (80 Euro) yet.
                                  >> The lowest 12 tones do sound right, the second half of the second octave
                                  >> somewhat, but the hightst few pipes sound shrill.
                                  >
                                  >Are the tubes the same diamter or do they vary?

                                  They vary.

                                  >The highest notes always
                                  >sound shrill at first, and and really, they are so high you hardly use
                                  >them. You do have to develop good control over the lip muscles, and
                                  >breathing muscles.

                                  I have a very very little feeling that they sound less and less shrill.
                                  And it seems this feeling is slowly walking up the pipes. But it might
                                  simply be that I get used to the sound ;-)

                                  >> Thus, I have to play all songs quint lower than it is supposed to be.
                                  >> (Question to those who know it better: Is this a big mistake?)
                                  >
                                  >Not at all...if you like the sound.

                                  It sounds much better this way. But I guess I could get in trouble if I
                                  ever need to play on the right level, e.g. together with other players.

                                  Michael
                                • Brad White
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                                    On Thursday, March 4, 2004, at 05:22 AM, Michael Hönnig wrote:

                                    > It sounds much better this way. But I guess I could get in trouble if
                                    > ever need to play on the right level, e.g. together with other players.
                                    >
                                    > Michael

                                    It does take time.. as an exercise try holding long long notes going
                                    up the scale... just to build up your muscles. ... brad
                                  • Michael Hönnig
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                                      Hi Brad,

                                      >It does take time.. as an exercise try holding long long notes going
                                      >up the scale... just to build up your muscles. ... brad

                                      Even if it sounds shrill? I guess, I can only do this when I alone at
                                      our place ;-)

                                      Michael
                                    • Brad White
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                                        On Thursday, March 4, 2004, at 05:48 AM, Michael Hönnig wrote:

                                        > Even if it sounds shrill? I guess, I can only do this when I alone at
                                        > our place ;-)
                                        >
                                        > Michael

                                        Yes, you can not master the high notes unless you work at them.
                                        Holding the long tones with give your embouchure strength. Everyone
                                        has to develop these muscles before the high notes start sounding good.
                                        We all experienced the same things when we started. If you play a
                                        flute or oboe.. or even the violin, you don't sound very good at the
                                        beginning until you master the techniques and build the muscles.
                                        Always devote some time to practice the things that are hard. Then you
                                        will get better faster. Playing the high notes will make your low
                                        notes better also. Because your focus will improve.

                                        Important: You might be blowing too too hard instead of making the
                                        opening in your lips smaller or more focused. Perhaps that is why they
                                        are shrill. You should not have to blow loud to play the high notes.

                                        Start with the middle notes, holding for a long time.. then add more
                                        notes going higher.. pipe by pipe.
                                      • Marilyn J. Heed
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                                          In my opinion, I prefer Key of C. If you need to play something in the key
                                          of F, you would only have the B flat to worry about and not canceling out
                                          the F#. Key of G is "traditional", but I still prefer Key of C. If I want
                                          F#, I will play a G flat.

                                          Marilyn
                                          My friend wants to buy a panflute, but he is not sure is it better to
                                          buy
                                          a panflute in key C or the tradition G. He is a real beginner and the
                                          music he wants to play is mostly popular music. Songs from The Beatles
                                          and
                                          Abba ect. As a beginner it is not easy for him to play the chromatics
                                          and
                                          he said the less he must "tilt" the flute, the better. If you want to
                                          play the well known pop songs, is it better to Have a G or C ? What is
                                          your experience. I will then translate him your letters (he does not
                                          speak
                                          english)

                                          Tommy
                                          tommy@...

                                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                        • tommy

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                                              Hy Michael !

                                              At 01:41 04.03.2004, you wrote:
                                              >Hi Tommy,
                                              >
                                              > >My friend wants to buy a panflute, but he is not sure is it better to buy
                                              > >a panflute in key C or the tradition G. He is a real beginner and the
                                              > >music he wants to play is mostly popular music. Songs from The Beatles and
                                              > >Abba ect. As a beginner it is not easy for him to play the chromatics and
                                              > >he said the less he must "tilt" the flute, the better. If you want to
                                              > >play the well known pop songs, is it better to Have a G or C ? What is
                                              > >your experience.
                                              >
                                              >To get you an idea: For playing the panflute for about two month now, my
                                              >"repertoire" comprises songs like "Morning has Broken",
                                              >"Greensleeves" or "El Condor Pasa". I only have a cheap but
                                              >playable 18 pipe panflute (80 Euro) yet. It is tuned starting with G.
                                              >1 1/2 ocataves higher it was already 1 tone off, which I fixed utilizing
                                              >an electroning tuning device.
                                              >
                                              >The lowest 12 tones do sound right, the second half of the second octave
                                              >somewhat, but the hightst few pipes sound shrill. This might be partly
                                              >because I am a beginner and don't blow right, but partly I guess it is
                                              >the cheap flute. What makes me think this: I guess, if the flute were
                                              >right, I would at least once in a while for an accident get a right tone
                                              >out of the high pipes.
                                              >
                                              >Thus, I have to play all songs quint lower than it is supposed to be.
                                              >(Question to those who know it better: Is this a big mistake?) This way,
                                              >all songs fit into the playable range, just "El Condor Pasa" stretches
                                              >it, by going into quite high areas where the pipes start to sound shrill.
                                              >
                                              >If my panflute was tuned C, I guess, I could play everything on the right
                                              >pipes, with the exception of "El Condor Pasa", which then would
                                              >definitely run into shrill pipes. But to play this correctly with my G
                                              >tuned pipe, no way for me.
                                              >
                                              >I cannot change the tuning to C anyway, the lowest pipes cork plug is
                                              >already almost at the end of the pipe.
                                              >
                                              >As I said, I am a bloody beginner and amatheur who does not know diddly
                                              >squat about music and especially the panpipe. But maybe the perception
                                              >of a beginner gives some ideas for you, your friend, and for the
                                              >professionals what to look at.
                                              >
                                              > Michael
                                              >
                                              >P.S. To the professionals: Correct me, where I am wrong, but don't beat
                                              >me too hard ;-)

                                              > *
                                              > <mailto:panflute-world-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>panflute-world-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                              >
                                              > *

                                            • Antonio Carlos Rodrigues
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                                                Hi Brad
                                                I play transverse flute and I use pan flute, because of my limited knowledge in that (pan) I use it just a few. My main doubts are in flats and sharps.
                                                In your opinion, what's the best way to get perfect notes in flat?
                                                Sincerely
                                                Antônio Carlos Rodrigues (Brasil)

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                                                  On Thursday, March 4, 2004, at 12:08 PM, Antonio Carlos Rodrigues
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > what's the best way to get perfect notes in flat?
                                                  > Sincerely
                                                  > Antônio Carlos Rodrigues (Brasil)

                                                  Hello Antonio,

                                                  There are different techniques.. but a combination of these three will
                                                  help.. It would be easier to show you than use words... but...

                                                  Slightly lower the instruments at the same time tilting it in so that
                                                  the lower lip is covering some of the tube.. then lower your jaw so
                                                  that your upper lip is more over the pipe and you are playing more
                                                  directly down into it. Of course this all happens smoothly and
                                                  quickly. The low notes will require more change than the upper notes..

                                                  Some players use mostly their Jaw, others use more tilting. Look at
                                                  the videos on my website and you will see both methods in the hands of
                                                  experts. I personally use more tilting because I am worried about
                                                  developing jaw problems. I am happy with tilting.

                                                  ... brad

                                                  Aloha - Brad White

                                                  Website: http://pan-flute.com
                                                • tommy
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                                                    I´m not sure, how much of you know Terry Pratchett and His "Discworld"
                                                    books, but in hte book named "Men at Arms" I found these lines, whre
                                                    Colonel Vimes describes the parts of a new, unknown weapon he found :

                                                    "Vimes sat down with his coffee and looked at the thing he'd picked up from
                                                    the rooftop.
                                                    It looked like a short set of Pan pipes, provided Pan was restricted to six
                                                    notes, all of them the same. They were made of steel, welded together.
                                                    There was a strip of serrated metal along one side, like a flattened-out
                                                    cogwheel, and the whole thing reeked of fireworks.
                                                    He laid it carefully beside his plate."

                                                    So now we know, that they know Pan even in Discworld :-)

                                                    Tommy
                                                    tommy@...

                                                  • Kevin
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 4, 2004
                                                      Brad White wrote:

                                                      > Some players use mostly their Jaw, others use more tilting. Look at
                                                      > the videos on my website and you will see both methods in the hands of
                                                      > experts. I personally use more tilting because I am worried about
                                                      > developing jaw problems. I am happy with tilting.

                                                      There is at least one more way of getting flats and sharps.

                                                      While playing, gently push the pan flute up into your lip. The note will
                                                      go flat.

                                                      As always, you must listen carefully while you are playing. As you go
                                                      to larger tubes, more movement is needed, so you have to pay attention
                                                      while you are playing. For most flat notes, you may also have to blow a
                                                      little softer.

                                                      Kevin
                                                    • Dave Pighills
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 6, 2004
                                                        HI Tommy......

                                                        Either way....I think he needs to learn how to produce half notes....the
                                                        only other option is a chromatic panflute...which is really not the
                                                        point.

                                                        Best wishes

                                                        David

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Mar 6, 2004
                                                          On Saturday, March 6, 2004, at 03:18 AM, Dave Pighills wrote:

                                                          > As a beginner it is not easy for him to play the chromatics
                                                          > and he said the less he must "tilt" the flute, the better. If you
                                                          > want to
                                                          > play the well known pop songs, is it better to Have a G or C ? What
                                                          > is your experience.

                                                          The actual pop songs are rarely written in the key of C or G.. (its
                                                          mostly based on what is comfortable for the singer's range) so if you
                                                          transpose the song into C on a C panflute... or G on a G panflute..
                                                          there is no difference in the 'TILTLING' (sharps or flats) required.
                                                          Since none of these songs are written for the panflute... put them into
                                                          any key that you prefer. If you match the key of your instrument it
                                                          might be a little easier to play, depending on the song.