Re: Hello

  • Douglas Bishop
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hello John,

      Welcome to the group! I have some online resources that can get
      you started! I have a series of free online video classes for the
      Panflute available at http://www.panflutejedi.com/academy.html , and
      I build three different kinds of Panflutes, which you can see at
      http://www.panflutejedi.com/handcrafted.html , and
      http://www.panflutejedi.com/viking-pan-flute.html .

      Another member of this group, David Pighills, also has a nice page
      that offers step-by-step illustrations and tips on how to build your
      own Panflute at
      http://www.stormpages.com/davepighills/makepipes.htm .

      Good luck in your Panflute quest!

      Douglas aka "Panflute Jedi"
      http://www.panflutejedi.com

      --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "John" <outpostorion@y...>
      wrote:
      > I would like to start off by saying hello to everyone. I am very
      new
      > to the world of Panflutes, I meen I have always heard them in
      music
      > and LOVED the sound they produce; But it wasnt until a short while
      > ago that I actually found out the name of that instrument. Now
      that I
      > know I am ready to finally purchase one, or possible make one
      haveing
      > found a very good site that takes you step-by-step. Anyway, I hope
      > learn a lot with this forum and make some friends along the way.
      Talk
      > to you all soon!
      >
      > John
    • John
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 1, 2003
        Thank you so much for your help, It is greatly appreciated. I had
        managed to find your site already but didnt have the other link that
        you listed on makeing your own panflute. I think that I will have
        many long hours of fun with this quest and will learn alot as I go.
        Again, thank you so much!

        John

        --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Bishop"
        <panflutejedi@a...> wrote:
        > Hello John,
        >
        > Welcome to the group! I have some online resources that can get
        > you started! I have a series of free online video classes for the
        > Panflute available at http://www.panflutejedi.com/academy.html ,
        and
        > I build three different kinds of Panflutes, which you can see at
        > http://www.panflutejedi.com/handcrafted.html , and
        > http://www.panflutejedi.com/viking-pan-flute.html .
        >
        > Another member of this group, David Pighills, also has a nice
        page
        > that offers step-by-step illustrations and tips on how to build
        your
        > own Panflute at
        > http://www.stormpages.com/davepighills/makepipes.htm .
        >
        > Good luck in your Panflute quest!
        >
        > Douglas aka "Panflute Jedi"
        > http://www.panflutejedi.com
        >

        > --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "John" <outpostorion@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > I would like to start off by saying hello to everyone. I am very
        > new
        > > to the world of Panflutes, I meen I have always heard them in
        > music
        > > and LOVED the sound they produce; But it wasnt until a short
        while
        > > ago that I actually found out the name of that instrument. Now
        > that I
        > > know I am ready to finally purchase one, or possible make one
        > haveing
        > > found a very good site that takes you step-by-step. Anyway, I
        hope
        > > learn a lot with this forum and make some friends along the way.
        > Talk
        > > to you all soon!
        > >
        > > John
      • Sandra Hould
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 1, 2003
          Hello John, Welcome to the panflute world,

          >I would like to start off by saying hello to everyone. I am very new
          >to the world of Panflutes, I meen I have always heard them in music
          >and LOVED the sound they produce; But it wasnt until a short while
          >ago that I actually found out the name of that instrument. Now that I
          >know I am ready to finally purchase one, or possible make one haveing
          >found a very good site that takes you step-by-step. Anyway, I hope to
          >learn a lot with this forum and make some friends along the way. Talk
          >to you all soon!

          Like you, i have always loved that music and that specific sound that the
          panflute makes. And like you it took me a few years to discover what was the
          instruments name that produced that sound and then after i started to search
          of what that instrument was exactly. In this group, i assure you that you
          will not be bored. We have great people here that will help you every step
          of the way in your reserch and information is in real abundance here. I am
          sure that you will have plenty of fun here and that you will learn alot in a
          very short time. If you want to email me, simple, should13@...
          Have fun!

          Sandra Hould

          http://messenger.fr.msn.ca/
        • John
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 1, 2003
            Thanks Sandra I think I will be draining this board for evey bit of
            information I can. As of right now I dont have a considerable amount
            of time on my side. Between work and Nursing school I dont even know
            my right from my left anymore....or was it my left from my
            right...aaarrgghhh...see! Anyway, I already like the atmosphere of
            this board and the people that have already contacted me. I dont have
            a Pan Flute yet....I believe I am going to make my first one. :) I
            dont think it will be to hard with all the info that I have on them.
            But I believe the PVC pan flute will be the easiest for my first
            endevor. Again, thanks alot for the help and support.

            John

            --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "Sandra Hould" <should13@h...>
            wrote:
            > Hello John, Welcome to the panflute world,
            >
            > >I would like to start off by saying hello to everyone. I am very
            new
            > >to the world of Panflutes, I meen I have always heard them in music
            > >and LOVED the sound they produce; But it wasnt until a short while
            > >ago that I actually found out the name of that instrument. Now
            that I
            > >know I am ready to finally purchase one, or possible make one
            haveing
            > >found a very good site that takes you step-by-step. Anyway, I hope
            > >learn a lot with this forum and make some friends along the way.
            Talk
            > >to you all soon!
            >
            > Like you, i have always loved that music and that specific sound
            that the
            > panflute makes. And like you it took me a few years to discover
            what was the
            > instruments name that produced that sound and then after i started
            to search
            > of what that instrument was exactly. In this group, i assure you
            that you
            > will not be bored. We have great people here that will help you
            every step
            > of the way in your reserch and information is in real abundance
            here. I am
            > sure that you will have plenty of fun here and that you will learn
            alot in a
            > very short time. If you want to email me, simple, should13@h...
            > Have fun!
            >
            > Sandra Hould

            > MSN Messenger : discutez en direct avec vos amis !
            > http://messenger.fr.msn.ca/
          • Joy
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 9, 2004
              I thought I would join the group as I intend to purchase a Panflute
              soon. I am going over the posts from the beginning. Hope I learn
              from you all.

              Joy
            • cstaroperator
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 24, 2005
                I'm new on this group. I became interested in pan flute when I heard
                recordings of Middle eastern style pan flute from greece. These were
                improvisations based on mid-eastern scales on the pan flute. Does any
                one know more about this and where I can find more recordings?
              • Brad White
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 24, 2005
                  On Feb 23, 2005, at 10:42 PM, cstaroperator wrote:

                  > I'm new on this group. I became interested in pan flute when I heard
                  > recordings of Middle eastern style pan flute from greece. These were
                  > improvisations based on mid-eastern scales on the pan flute. Does any
                  > one know more about this and where I can find more recordings?

                  Welcome... I am one of the co moderaters. Kevin, my fellow moderator
                  had an album from Greece, if I am remembering correctly. I don't know
                  if this is the same one. I am sure he'll reply when he sees this... or
                  I'll ask him when I talk to him ... brad
                • Kevin
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 24, 2005
                    cstaroperator wrote:

                    > I'm new on this group. I became interested in pan flute when I heard
                    > recordings of Middle eastern style pan flute from greece. These were
                    > improvisations based on mid-eastern scales on the pan flute. Does any
                    > one know more about this and where I can find more recordings?

                    There is a nice album called "Ellinika Mouzika Organa" or "Hellenic
                    Musical Instruments" volume 13 which may be the one. The player is Panos
                    Stefos. on "world Music" label. I think most tunes are not improvised though.

                    Any comments from anyone as to whether pan flute is is a Hellenic "
                    musical instrument?

                    Kevin
                  • Brad White
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 24, 2005
                      On Feb 24, 2005, at 6:17 AM, Kevin wrote:

                      > Any comments from anyone as to whether pan flute is is a Hellenic "
                      > musical instrument?

                      I believe it was referenced in the literature and stories of that time
                      ... brad
                    • Doug
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 11, 2005
                        Hello everyone. New member here. I just wanted to make my first post
                        to the group and thank you for having me. As I am a complete beginner
                        I won't be offering too much except in the way of questions and those
                        won't come until I've had a chance to look through the archives. This
                        seems like a really diverse and friendly group. I'm looking forward to
                        future postings. Doug Daniels
                      • Kevin Budd
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 11, 2005
                          Welcome Doug,

                          On 11-Sep-05, at 10:54 AM, Doug wrote:

                          > As I am a complete beginner
                          > I won't be offering too much except in the way of questions and those
                          > won't come until I've had a chance to look through the archives. This
                          > seems like a really diverse and friendly group. I'm looking forward to
                          > future postings.

                          We are good at answers, so fire away. Pan flutes "R" us.

                          Kevin
                          Co List-Manager
                        • trevorcrossland
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 7, 2010
                            Hi There,
                            I have just got registered on here and just thought I would say hello to anyone who is out there?

                            Regards

                            Trevor Crossland
                          • Brad White
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 7, 2010
                              On Sep 7, 2010, at 9:36 AM, trevorcrossland wrote:

                              > Hi There,
                              > I have just got registered on here and just thought I would say
                              > hello to anyone who is out there?
                              >
                              > Regards
                              >
                              > Trevor Crossland

                              Welcome Trevor,

                              We are not always the most talkative bunch.. but at times we will
                              have flurry of gab :) Read through our archives of the last decade or
                              so ....

                              Kevin and I are moderators and we have many talented musicians on the
                              list. Some of the best in the world I think.

                              Aloha .. brad white (panflute.net)
                            • trevorcrossland
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 7, 2010
                                Hi Brad,
                                I got my pan flute from you around 4 months ago.
                                Then realsied afterwrads that David Pighill live sin the next town to me.Lol, not to worry, I am pleased with the Instrument.

                                Where can I source good decent backing tracks?

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 7, 2010
                                  On Sep 7, 2010, at 10:04 AM, trevorcrossland wrote:

                                  > Where can I source good decent backing tracks?

                                  Since your panflute has the same exact range as a silver flute you can
                                  look for any music for flute.. it will work perfectly.

                                  Search for Music Minus One , there were many recordings released
                                  for flute and with other instruments backgrounds.

                                  The other option is if you have some simple music software you can
                                  find many free things on the interest that you can alter to fit what
                                  you are doing. Look for sites with free MIDI files.. they can be
                                  customized so that the melody line is silent and the key changed to
                                  fit your liking. Your can re-orchestrate them as well.

                                  Good luck ... have fun .. brad
                                • trevorcrossland
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 7, 2010
                                    Thanks for that Brad.

                                    Regards

                                    --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, Brad White <bwhite@...> wrote:

                                    > On Sep 7, 2010, at 10:04 AM, trevorcrossland wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Where can I source good decent backing tracks?
                                    >
                                    > Since your panflute has the same exact range as a silver flute you can
                                    > look for any music for flute.. it will work perfectly.
                                    >
                                    > Search for Music Minus One , there were many recordings released
                                    > for flute and with other instruments backgrounds.
                                    >
                                    > The other option is if you have some simple music software you can
                                    > find many free things on the interest that you can alter to fit what
                                    > you are doing. Look for sites with free MIDI files.. they can be
                                    > customized so that the melody line is silent and the key changed to
                                    > fit your liking. Your can re-orchestrate them as well.
                                    >
                                    > Good luck ... have fun .. brad

                                  • Gilles
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                                      --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "trevorcrossland" <enq@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Where can I source good decent backing tracks?

                                      Hi Trevor,

                                      You will find some minus one for Panpipes on a french website (but music
                                      is music).
                                      http://www.flute-de-pan.fr/-Karaokes-pour-flute-de-Pan-
                                      <http://www.flute-de-pan.fr/-Karaokes-pour-flute-de-Pan->
                                      There are mp3 (with and without Panpipes) and music sheets.
                                      Don't look about "Introduction" which is just a french text to help the
                                      users in a pedagogic mind.

                                      Depends of your level... The most simple is "Le vieux moulin", or
                                      "Adieu", then you will find different levels and styles...

                                      Hoping that you will find them decent

                                      Gilles

                                    • trevorcrossland
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                                        Hi Giles,
                                        Thank you for that. I will check it out. I have had my pipes for about 3 months now, so in one sense am a beginner! Although I do play the guitar and the piano accordian, so I am used to reading music.

                                        I am suprised as to how many people have taken up the Pan Flute, it appears to be getting more popular Instrument?

                                        Regards

                                        --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "Gilles" <gilles@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "trevorcrossland" <enq@>
                                        > wrote:
                                        >

                                        > > Where can I source good decent backing tracks?
                                        > >

                                        > Hi Trevor,
                                        >
                                        > You will find some minus one for Panpipes on a french website (but music
                                        > is music).
                                        > http://www.flute-de-pan.fr/-Karaokes-pour-flute-de-Pan-
                                        > <http://www.flute-de-pan.fr/-Karaokes-pour-flute-de-Pan->
                                        > There are mp3 (with and without Panpipes) and music sheets.
                                        > Don't look about "Introduction" which is just a french text to help the
                                        > users in a pedagogic mind.
                                        >
                                        > Depends of your level... The most simple is "Le vieux moulin", or
                                        > "Adieu", then you will find different levels and styles...
                                        >
                                        > Hoping that you will find them decent
                                        >
                                        > Gilles

                                      • Kevin
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                                          Hi Trevor and welcome,

                                          You can also search for midi tunes, and simply silence the melody line as you play along.

                                          With the internet, the online pan flute community has really grown over the years. We have 644 members!

                                          Kevin
                                          www.panflute.ca

                                          --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "trevorcrossland" <enq@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi Giles,
                                          > Thank you for that. I will check it out. I have had my pipes for about 3 months now, so in one sense am a beginner! Although I do play the guitar and the piano accordian, so I am used to reading music.
                                          >
                                          > I am suprised as to how many people have taken up the Pan Flute, it appears to be getting more popular Instrument?
                                          >
                                          > Regards
                                          >

                                          > --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "Gilles" <gilles@> wrote:
                                          > >

                                          > > --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "trevorcrossland" <enq@>
                                          > > wrote:
                                          > >

                                          > > > Where can I source good decent backing tracks?
                                          > > >

                                          > > Hi Trevor,
                                          > >
                                          > > You will find some minus one for Panpipes on a french website (but music
                                          > > is music).
                                          > > http://www.flute-de-pan.fr/-Karaokes-pour-flute-de-Pan-
                                          > > <http://www.flute-de-pan.fr/-Karaokes-pour-flute-de-Pan->
                                          > > There are mp3 (with and without Panpipes) and music sheets.
                                          > > Don't look about "Introduction" which is just a french text to help the
                                          > > users in a pedagogic mind.
                                          > >
                                          > > Depends of your level... The most simple is "Le vieux moulin", or
                                          > > "Adieu", then you will find different levels and styles...
                                          > >
                                          > > Hoping that you will find them decent
                                          > >
                                          > > Gilles

                                        • trevorcrossland
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
                                            Hi Kevin,

                                            Thanks for the welcome and the Info.Thats quite a membership you have here. It is getting to be quite a popular Instrument!

                                            I have listened to some of the Midi music and it appears to be not as good a qaulity as mp3 music is.
                                            I have also managed to download some popular mp3 instrumentals from the Internet, and quite a lot of free music sheets today.

                                            Looking forward to making some good friendships on here.

                                            Regards

                                            Trevor