Re: [panflute-world] Another question

  • Catelli
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2003
      Thank you so much Max, This is indeed encouraging.
      Just to let you and everyone that is following all my questions know...that I've ordered an inexpensive but quality panflute....and will be receiving it soon. I'm looking into some of the videos and learning books that are available...as I'm quite sure that there is no one in my area that will qualify as a teacher.
      Oh yes, and another other questions....(I know I'm full of questions!!)
      Was this lady a musician already? (I mean did she know how to play other instruments really well?)
      Thank you for your comments.
      Happy New Year!!!!

      Rose

      Dear Rose

      I'm a panflute teacher in Switzerland - and my oldest student was a 74 year old lady at the time she was beginning to learn.... and she still had enough lung power to play the flute at that age.
      I think, this should give you kind of confirmation to begin with :-)

      I wish you all the best and mutch pleasure with your new adventure!

      Max from Switzerland
      (called panmaxe)

      Catelli wrote:

      > Yes, I'm still here.....and still thinking. And no, I still haven't bought a panflute....do I still want one? I think so....but, gotta ask a few more questions.
      > I wonder if I have enough lung power to play one of these? Is there anyway to judge this before I spend several hundred dollars? I'm even more intrigued than I was when I first started asking questions...but, I'm realizing that there is alot more to a panflute than meets the eye.....my hat is really off to all of you professional players....you have such a wonderful skill that makes the world a better place. I've enjoyed listening to your music on your web sites. Thank you all for your contributions!
      >
      > Rose
      > [] ____
      > ¸...¸ __/ /\____
      > ,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
      > ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°
      > "As for as me and my computer, we will serve the Lord"
      > *+*+*+* Rose +*+*+*+*

    • Marilyn J. Heed
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 2, 2003
        Rose,

        Which lady are you referring to? I didn't pick up a panflute until past
        40, never having played any instrument before, as my main interest was art
        (painting) All friends could help me do was to learn how to read music!
        At that time there wasn't the books nor the videos that are available today.

        Marilyn
        (www.pan-art.com)

        Catelli wrote:

        > Yes, I'm still here.....and still thinking. And no, I still haven't
        bought a panflute....do I still want one? I think so....but, gotta ask a
        few more questions.
        > I wonder if I have enough lung power to play one of these? Is there
        anyway to judge this before I spend several hundred dollars? I'm even more
        intrigued than I was when I first started asking questions...but, I'm
        realizing that there is alot more to a panflute than meets the eye.....my
        hat is really off to all of you professional players....you have such a
        wonderful skill that makes the world a better place. I've enjoyed listening
        to your music on your web sites. Thank you all for your contributions!

        > Rose
        > [] ____
        > ¸...¸ __/ /\____
        > ,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
        > ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°
        > "As for as me and my computer, we will serve the Lord"
        > *+*+*+* Rose +*+*+*+*

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Max Eberle
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 2, 2003
          Hello Rose
          it's good to hear from your decision - I wish you happy hours with your flute!

          This lady I mentioned was not a musician, and she had never before learned to play another instrument in her life. But deep in her heart she had the strong wish to play the panflute, because she loved the sound of this instrument so much.
          For her it was not important to gain a certain level of skill with the flute, it was more important to begin with learning. She had no knowledge with notes, but she could learn playing "by heart" (listening to easy melodies and playing them afterwards)

          I'm shure you will find your own way with your new flute!
          Happy New Year to you and to all the members of this group!

          Max

        • luisequerflote@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 8, 2003
            I got hooked on the panpipes twice: first just theoretically when I heard
            Zamfir playing at St Jean-Cap -Ferrat on theCote dAzur, many years ago -
            unbelievable, both his classical reportoire and the bird song he finished
            with.

            Then last year passing through Zurich airport I heaed Octavio Ramiro Rivera
            ((www.octavioramieroviera.com) - and on the spur of the moment bought an
            instrument second-hand from him, -n he threw in basic instrucitons on how to
            play as well! This turns out to be a good instrument, and at £135 surely not
            expensive!

            My next step was to surf the internet where I found Ulirch Herkenhoff, known
            to you folks, and to buy his two volumes. He tried to help with advice when
            I contacted him by e-mail.

            So last summer when I visited Switzerland I took the opportunity to take a
            lesson at the Dajoeri school (Frau Schuster), and that again was very
            helpful.

            But let's face it: it is NOT an easy instrument to pick up! I am now 69 and
            find shortage of breath the main problem. There are NO teachers here that I
            know of, no books can be bought here - but please correct me if I'm wrong!

            By the way, from the very beginning I used what little skill I have to
            support the music group in our services at Church, and people enjoy the sound
            of the panpipes enormously. That is of course a great incentive to keep
            working at it!

            So let nothing put you off - it IS hard work, but worth it!. Luisequerflote.
          • Brad White
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 8, 2003
              >But let's face it: it is NOT an easy instrument to pick up! I am now 69 and
              >find shortage of breath the main problem. There are NO teachers here that I
              >know of, no books can be bought here - but please correct me if I'm
              >wrong! So let nothing put you off - it IS hard work, but worth it!.
              >Luisequerflote.

              That is really great!! Yes, it is challenging but think of all the good
              things it brings you. A challenge like this will help to keep you young.
              Good for your mind and your body.. and your inner spirit.

              Did you know Ulli also has a video instruction? ... brad

              Aloha & Groetjes,

              Brad White
              Honolulu, Hawaii & Delft, Netherlands
              http://pan-flute.com

              The sound of the panflute inspires mystery & wonder...
              Now with more than 2 hours of music and videos!!

              For AOL ..