Re: Pan Flute World Scholarship

  • luckepanflute
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
      --- In panflute-world@y..., Kevin Budd <kbudd@i...> wrote:
      > I have a new idea.
      > I hereby propose that we start a "Pan Flute World Scholarship".
      (Also called a "bursary")
      > If 100 people donated $5 each, once a year ...

      I'm in. Actually since we owe you 20 bucks I hereby volunteer it to
      start your piggybank.

      How are set to deal with different currencies?

      Jim & Lola
    • David Pighills
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002

        HI again Kevin,

        Yes, I would definitely go for that. A very worthy cause, so long as we could vouch for the bona fides of the recipient. I would be more than happy to contribute. So I  say a big Yes. Perhaps we could also consider a pool of money for a couple of good quality Panflutes for lease or hire until prospective students are in a position ot buy their own. There seem to be so many keen starters who are thwarted from day one by the cost of quality instruments. Also I don't mind having a crack at building a few "student" type panflutes. Anything to stop people getting ripped off with rubbish, particularly beginners to the instrument. What do you reckon (as an accomplished panflute builder yourself) to that as an idea.

        Dave

          Kevin Budd <kbudd@...> wrote:

        I have a new idea. I have bounced it off both Brad White and Joeri Murk, and
        now I present it to the group. Although there may be practical challenges, we
        like the idea.

        I hereby propose that we start a "Pan Flute World Scholarship". (Also called a "bursary")

        We presently have about 180 members of this list.

        If 100 people donated $5 each, once a year, we could give $500 to someone to
        help him or her travel somewhere to study pan flute! It would not pay for it
        all, but it would help, and that is my goal. The world's first pan flute scholarship!

        Anyone who wishes to apply would write a short public letter to the list. Then
        YOU, the members woudl vote on it.

        Teh person might want to go to the Arosa festival or to Switzerland to study
        with Joeri Murk. They might want to go to Romania, to work with Cornel Pana.
        They might want to go to the Netherlands to study with Pirvu, or Costel
        Puscoiu. Any worthwhile pan flute study would be eligible.

        Anyone applicant would have to be a member for at least three months, perhaps.

        Money could first be sent to some reliable neutral person, like myself
        (ha$ha!) or Brad White. Perhaps it could also be transferred through paypal or
        a similar service.

        Can we do this? Should we? Any thoughts?

        Kevin

        Do You Yahoo!?

      • Erik.Bech@ACEMail.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002

          Hi all, Since I'm an accountant, I thought I'd add my two cents to this topic.  Why don't we create a non-profit organization (earnings cannot be distributed to the members or owners and can only be used to promote the organization's objectives), say, for example, THE PAN FLUTE WORLD ASSOCIATION.

          The company could have its own bank account where all funds will be kept.  The company could operate exclusively through the group's web site.  The business model could be that it raises money through donations from its members to promote the pan flute to be used for scholarships, lessons, instruction material, pan flute sales, etc. plus interest income earned.

          Expenses would be minimal due to the company's web site (our Group) and would only include bank service charges, printing costs as appropriate, travel expenses, etc.  All lessons and pan flute building will be referred to members who provide such services (for example, Costel, Dajoeri and Kevin) so the only business of the Association is in promoting the pan flute---nothing else.  We don't want to create a competition here and we want things to be fair to all.

          Each member of the Group who makes a contribution to the Association will become a member of the Association and will be entited to vote on the Association's activities on how the company is to use the funds it raises and meeting its objectives.  This way, funds are used based on a majority vote of its members.

          Members providing services to the Association such as administration fo the web site, member relations, maintaining accounts, etc. will be strictly on a vonluntary basis and will not be entited to receive any fees for such services.

          I present this for discussion.  Feel free to comment.

          Erik

          David Pighills <davepighills@...>
          01/08/2002 09:33 AM MST
          Please respond to panflute-world

          To: panflute-world@yahoogroups.com
          cc:
          bcc:
          Subject: Re: [panflute-world] Pan Flute World Scholarship

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          [IMAGE]

        • Kevin Budd
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
            > --- In panflute-world@y..., Kevin Budd <kbudd@i...> wrote:
            > > I have a new idea.
            > > I hereby propose that we start a "Pan Flute World Scholarship".
            > (Also called a "bursary")
            > > If 100 people donated $5 each, once a year ...
            >
            > I'm in. Actually since we owe you 20 bucks I hereby volunteer it to
            > start your piggybank.

            Hey now...wait just a cotton pickin' minute Mr. Jim! You are very generous to
            offer my money here...!

            > How are set to deal with different currencies?

            I was thinking that either we could use PayPal.com which is sort of an
            automatic converter, or everyone who wants to contribute coudl go to their
            bank, get $5 US and mail it. The number of letters lost in the mail is
            extremely small. I regualry get checks and money orders, and have never had
            one lost.

            Kevin
          • Kevin Budd
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
              Dave P. wrote:

              > Yes, I would definitely go for that. A very worthy cause, so long as we could vouch for the bona fides of the recipient.

              The easy way to do it would be that the money could go directly to the
              ultimate intended receiver (like the teacher), and or that we would have to
              see a reciept first, and so we would be paying back some of the money spent.

              > would be more than happy to contribute. So I say a big Yes. Perhaps we could also consider a pool of money for a
              > couple of good quality Panflutes for lease or hire until prospective students are in a position ot buy their own.

              Another good idea. This might be more of a challenge though. If someone sent a
              deposit, for example, you coud loan them a "student" pan flute for a few
              months, perhaps. It is more difficult to guarantee such things in a scattered
              pan flute world. Sending such a thing is a mimimum of perhaps $200 US?
              However...we can somehow figure it out. Certainly a student pan flute can play
              well enough to begin on, without being beautiful.

              Kevin
            • Kevin Budd
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
                Erik.Bech@... wrote:

                > Hi all, Since I'm an accountant, I thought I'd add my two cents to
                > this topic. Why don't we create a non-profit organization (earnings
                > cannot be distributed to the members or owners and can only be used to
                > promote the organization's objectives), say, for example, THE PAN
                > FLUTE WORLD ASSOCIATION.

                This is a good idea Erik, and it is good to hear from an accountant for such
                things. I am already involved with another Not For Profit Organization here,
                (the Ontario Folk Dance Association) and we also offer a scholarship of about
                $500 a year. I like you idea of it only existing on the internet. Rules and
                laws vary with each country, so that would be a factor. Typically you must
                have an elected board of Directors, at least three, and have some kind of
                Annual General Meetings, with minutes kept and so on. Perhaps it could be done
                on-lione. I do not know.

                Of course, one BIG problem is that you have to have volunteers who WANT to do
                all this. I tend to like the very simplest direct approach. Perhaps such an
                organization can start unofficially and grow only as needed.

                Kevin
              • David Donaldson
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002

                  Hi Everyone!

                  Yes, I am still a "newbie" to Panflute World, but everything that I have seen has been on the "up and up" as we say in the Southern US of A.

                  In regards to a panflute scholarship, I would say a BIG YES, but I am inclined to agree with Eric, as to the accounting. I know that would be more responsibility on someone's shoulders, but I feel that it would be very worthwhile. There are many scholarships "out there" for every other concieveable subject of study, so why not the panflute? Let me know when it is set up and you will have a contributor here in sunny Florida.

                  David D

                  To: panflute-world@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 27, 2003
                      Hello everyone!

                      This is an update to message #4621 posted on Aug 14, 2002 by Kevin Budd.

                      Over a year has passed now since Kevin started the Scholarship. Since that time after a lot of hard work from many volunteers, the Scholarship is growing and a not-for-profit organization called the Panflute World Association has been created to promote the panflute, complete with a board of directors, an Executive Committee and a growing list of voting members.

                      The Committee and membership of the Association has done an excellent job. Using the Internet, the Committee and membership continues to discuss and vote on matters concerning the Association to promote the panflute.

                      The Scholarship is not the only thing the Association is doing to help panflute enthusiasts around the world. Many other services and programs are being discussed.

                      If you or somebody you know would like to make a donation to the Scholarship, please mail your donation to:

                      World Pan Flute Association Inc.
                      c/o Kevin Budd
                      222 Christie Street
                      Toronto, Ontario, Canada
                      M6G 3B7

                      If you would like to become a voting member or have any questions, please ask!

                      Regards,
                      Erik Bech