[panflute-world] Re: Panpipe making

  • Clarence Mostert
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 1998
      I have made 22 bamboo pipes, now what is the best glue to put them
      together. Sure has a nicer sound than the plastic one I made. Thanks
      Clarence

    • R.P. Koster
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 1998
        Clarence Mostert wrote:

        > I have made 22 bamboo pipes, now what is the best glue to put them
        > together. Sure has a nicer sound than the plastic one I made. Thanks
        > Clarence

        Clarence:

        I assume you flattened the joining surfaces between the tubes. Sure you
        must have noticed that bamboo is much more convenient to work in this
        respect, since it can be split easily. Common practice is to take away
        so much material that the thinnest part has about half of the original
        wall thickness (personally I prefer to take away more so there will be
        more interference between adjacent tubes when you play, and the larger
        joining surface will allow a more solid bond between tubes).

        The most solid (and most expensive) adhesive is high-duty epoxy: it
        hardens so your panflute will become one "block" rather than a row of
        tubes with some glue between it. This is favorable for the sound. But
        any other adhesive suitable for wood or metal will keep the tubes
        together in case you don't want to spend too much money.

        Good luck, and keep us informed about your progress (can you send some
        pictures perhaps?)

        Rolf

      • R.P. Koster
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 1998
          Tomas Bergh wrote:

          > Hi
          > I´ll also try to make my own panflute, do you have de dimensions for the
          > pipes?
          > In that case, could I please have them? That would have been very nice of
          > you.
          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > Tomas Bergh, student in Sweden

          Tomas:

          There is a range of diameters that will generally enable a good tone. What you
          want depends on your taste. In case your embouchure is still developing, your
          opinion regarding diameters and shape of the tube tops may change in the
          future. I assume you want to make a standard size panflute of 22 tubes ranging
          from G1 to G4.

          And now here are those dimensions (perhaps some participants in the panflute
          world mailing list - or other persons reading this - may give different
          opinions).

          APPROXIMATE TUBE LENGTHS
          * G1: start with 270 mm (11").
          * G4: length dependent on convenient grip; common length for Romanian
          panflutes is about 70 mm (3"), but I personally prefer about 90 mm (3.5").
          * remaining tubes can be shaped into the well-known curvature of the base

          APPROXIMATE WALL THICKNESSES
          * G1: 2 to 5 mm (0.8" to 2").
          * G4: 1.5 to 3 mm (0.6" to 1.2").
          Personally prefer the thick-walled tubes.

          APPROXIMATE OUTSIDE DIAMETERS
          * G1: 22 mm (0.9") is common for Romanian panflutes; I prefer 25 mm (1").
          * G4: 12 mm (0.5") is common for Romanian panflutes; I prefer 10 mm (0.4").
          * remaining tubes: gradually changing between these values.
          It is possible to obtain good sound with diameters beyond these ranges.

          Please keep the entire mailing list informed about your progress, or if there
          is any problem, let it know.
          Good luck,

          Rolf