Zamfir's Monopoly

  • Douglas Bishop
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2001
      Well, after long study and consideration I feel it is time for me toaddress the virulence of Gheorghe Zamfir. I can use many words todescribe the personal revelations Zamfir imparts to us in his book,but I believe it is important for all of us to remember that Zamfiris not a god, a prophet, or an otherworldly emissary. He is a meremortal, a man, and (it would seem) a very paranoid and disturbed oneat that! To give his book and/or his every action and word suchattentiveness is obviously far more than he deserves, as an artist orotherwise. Mr. Puscolu, an excellent analogy (Zamfir/Mafiagodfather)! This has been much of my own thought as well. As for hislist of "true" panflutists, in all fairness he should have includedDamian Draghici! We should also remember that Zamfir also had hisbeginnings, as any artist does, and he was certainly not aworld-famous and wealthy panflutist in his early years. His mentality(as revealed by his book) reminded me of a poetic work by Robert E.Howard. Kevin has seen it already, but here it is:When I was a fighting man, the kettle drums, they beat,The people scattered gold dust beneath my horse's feet,But now I am a great king, and now they hound my track,With poison in my winecup, and daggers at my back.-The Road of Kings, Robert E. Howard Yes, fellow panflutists, it is true. The constant companion of fameand fortune has always been paranoia. We are at Panflute-world anenormous reservoir of knowledge and talent, and it is inevitablethat, whether he wishes it or not, Zamfir will be forced to pass theflag to the next generation of panflutists. Can it be that the "king"sees a threat to his throne?Douglas Bishop