yet another panflute homepage

  • OG van der Heijden
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2001
      Hello panflute world,

      I would like to bring to your attention the recently build homepage of the
      Dutch Panflute Association (in Dutch "Panfluitvereniging") at
      www.panfluitvereniging.nl.
      Beside an extensive Dutch version we also have a smaller English version
      available. Both versions contain a menu item called weblinks, where we try to
      collect and categorize panflute information from all over the web. So if you
      feel your name or a link to your homepage or to some of your written panflute
      articles is missing, please let us know.
      In the next year we will also build an archive from panflute articles
      published in our quaterly distributed magazine the "Panfluitkrant" over the
      past 20 years. Because these articles are in Dutch the archive is only
      available on the Dutch version (sorry.....).

      Could anyone give me some advice on how to decrease the rather large file
      size of the panflute music you hear when you're opening the homepage? Of
      course without too much loss of quality. It is a wav-file of 824kb (mono),
      recorded from CD with permission. I have chosen the wav-format because
      wav-files can be played in background mode (meaning that the Player program
      does not pop up on your screen) by the standard Windows Media Player. So you
      don't need any additional programs to hear the music. But for slower
      computers the loading time of the file becomes quite long. Is there some easy
      solution to decrease the file size? Maybe some good combination of sample
      rate and number of bits during recording or a better file format? I do prefer
      background playing by some standard player.

      Thanks,

      Odette van der Heijden,
      The Netherlands.
    • David Pighills
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2001
        > Hello panflute world,
        >
        > I would like to bring to your attention the recently build homepage of
        the
        > Dutch Panflute Association (in Dutch "Panfluitvereniging") at
        > www.panfluitvereniging.nl.

        Hello ,
        I have just been looking through this site and find it very informative
        (even the limited English version) ,
        so the Dutch version must be even better (even though I don't understand a
        word!!).
        I see there is now an intrnet opportunity to buy Panflutes from the Swiss
        maker (Romanian born?) Joachim Domide.
        When I viewed however , there was no sound at all. You can get software to
        compress a wave file , e.g. Pkware ,
        which has reduced some of my sound files to half the size. I am afraid I
        don't yet know enough about the subject to advise
        further on this though , and I too would be grateful for similar advice. I
        have never managed to upload my wave files to the web host (and the web host
        doesn't want to answer questions via "support"....although it is a free
        site). I'm still working on this whilst I am updating the site. Perhaps the
        web-host "00song" is the problem.
        Any suggestions anybody.....i.e. a good web-host for pictures and sound.
        Best Wishes
        Dave
      • Brad White
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2001
          >But for slower
          > computers the loading time of the file becomes quite long. Is there
          >some easy
          > solution to decrease the file size? Maybe some good combination of sample
          > rate and number of bits during recording or a better file format? I do
          >prefer
          > background playing by some standard player.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Odette van der Heijden,
          > The Netherlands.

          I use quicktime which has a better sound, can play in the background
          embedded in the page and would probably reduce that wav file to under 100K..

          If you have seen my site that is what I use.. 800K is too big for the
          average person to download.. unless they have a high speed connection.
          Aloha.. brad

          Brad White
          Honolulu, Hawaii
          The sound of the panflute inspires mystery & wonder...
          http://pan-flute.com