Re: [panflute-world] ARMOR_ALL

  • Samuel García
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2000
      Hi Ken,
      Very interesting your experiment with ARMOR_ALL, I´m tempted to try it,
      because my flutes, that have been lubricated with almond oil, get humidity
      very easily in this climate and sound dull when they are cold; so I think
      that maybe that product would seal better the tubes.
      I am working now in a new flute, but I´m afraid about the final results, and
      better wait your comments in the middle term for using ARMOR_ALL, (maybe
      when the snow goes).
      By the way, which is the use of this product?, is it oriented to cars or
      furniture?, I don´t know it and I´m curios.
      Thanks
      Samuel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
        Hi Samuel

        Armor_all seem always to be sold as a car care product to protect
        and preserve vinol and plastic from UV etc. It helps restore
        the finish of these surfaces as well. It is not intended for
        unfinished wood etc but can be used on lacquered wood.

        On my PVC flutes it certainly leaves a nice smooth coating
        so may seal bamboo well. When I unscrewed the spay top
        and saw how watery it is I started having second thoughts
        about using it on bamboo and was concerned about raising
        the grain. This may be a reason why it is not as slippery on
        bamboo. Probably it would be a good idea after the first
        application to smooth the bamboo with steel wool and recoat
        a few times.

        Obviously I have not used it long enough to be able to
        recommend its use on pan flutes but so far it seems to
        work well.

        Ken Webster websterk@...

        >>> Samuel_García <sam3310@...> 05/31 1:08 PM >>>
        Hi Ken,
        Very interesting your experiment with ARMOR_ALL, I´m tempted to try it,
        because my flutes, that have been lubricated with almond oil, get humidity
        very easily in this climate and sound dull when they are cold; so I think
        that maybe that product would seal better the tubes.
        I am working now in a new flute, but I´m afraid about the final results, and
        better wait your comments in the middle term for using ARMOR_ALL, (maybe
        when the snow goes).
        By the way, which is the use of this product?, is it oriented to cars or
        furniture?, I don´t know it and I´m curios.
        Thanks
        Samuel
        > Well on the week end I soaked a bamboo siku in armor_all.
        > As I said before the bamboo I grow is not exactly flute quality
        > as it is soft and pithy compared to high quality flute bamboos.
        > Still I can make small sikus from it and they sound ok, but do
        > not have the clarity of genuine songo cane instruments.
        >
        > The bamboo readily soaked up the armor all which appears
        > really watery. I left the siku over the fire place to dry overnight,
        > no cracking. The lubrication effect on the bamboo is not as
        > great as with my PVC pan flute, I guess the bamboo siku has a
        > rougher surface and absorbed much of the armor_all.
        > This bamboo siku had never been oiled and did sound a bit
        > dry and breathy. After treatment the sound is much improved.
        > Much more like the genuine article with good resonance and
        > clarity. Perhaps this is due to sealing the pours and coating the
        > tube bores with the smooth slippery armor_all. This is at least
        > as good, perhaps a little better than the results I get from oiling.
        >
        > Anyway I am happy with the result so far, Long term effects
        > of using this product are unknown, only time will tell.
        >
        > Perhaps some of you think me crazy doing this but its just
        > an experiment with a home made instrument, something to do
        > while the snow is falling. A rare event here but that's all white :-)
        >

        > Ken Webster websterk@...

        > Missing old school friends? Find them here:

        Did you get the best price for these CDs and movies?
        http://click.egroups.com/1/4754/3/_/1617/_/959901576/