Damian's Jazz performance

  • Damian Draghici
    Message 1 of 24 , May 3, 2011
      Dear friends,
      I hope all is well with you all.
      Here is a performance I had on TV last week.
      Also this week is my LAST concert with the great violonist Nigel Kennedy.
      This will be my last concert, I have decided that I don't want to play the pan
      flute anymore, the reason for this is that I have realized that for the last 27
      years my motivation has not been the right one, I have been playing the panflute
      to show off and show off, so I have not done it for the right reason, PASSION,
      so i have decided that I don't wanna spend the rest of my life fighting to prove
      my self to other musicians and people.

      I know that if I have had the passion and the dedication within the next 10
      years I could have reach amazing things (playing wise ) on the pan flute, and I
      really hope that somewhere there will be a young kid starting to practice and
      learn the panflute the way I envision.

      One thing I know for sure that if you practice the right way, with the right
      foundation, structure and discipline you can play on the pan flute anything,
      really anything that any other instrument can play.
      So this is my last concert as a pan flute player and my last album, the album
      that I have to finish within the last two months or so.

      I wish the best to all of you and I am really happy that I can start to look to
      find what is that I really like and what is my real passion.

      Best to all of you.
      Damian.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qBs90rIAc4

    • Roar Engelberg
      Message 2 of 24 , May 3, 2011
        Hallo Damian
        Those are terrible news!
        You can`t stop now!
        Please reconsider this question some hundred times more.
        We all wants you to continue. That is sure!

        Best regards,
        Roar

        Den 3. mai. 2011 kl. 10.22 skrev Damian Draghici:

        > Dear friends,
        > I hope all is well with you all.
        > Here is a performance I had on TV last week.
        > Also this week is my LAST concert with the great violonist Nigel
        > Kennedy.
        > This will be my last concert, I have decided that I don't want to
        > play the pan
        > flute anymore, the reason for this is that I have realized that for
        > the last 27
        > years my motivation has not been the right one, I have been playing
        > the panflute
        > to show off and show off, so I have not done it for the right
        > reason, PASSION,
        > so i have decided that I don't wanna spend the rest of my life
        > fighting to prove
        > my self to other musicians and people.
        >
        > I know that if I have had the passion and the dedication within the
        > next 10
        > years I could have reach amazing things (playing wise ) on the pan
        > flute, and I
        > really hope that somewhere there will be a young kid starting to
        > practice and
        > learn the panflute the way I envision.
        >
        > One thing I know for sure that if you practice the right way, with
        > the right
        > foundation, structure and discipline you can play on the pan flute
        > anything,
        > really anything that any other instrument can play.
        > So this is my last concert as a pan flute player and my last album,
        > the album
        > that I have to finish within the last two months or so.
        >
        > I wish the best to all of you and I am really happy that I can start
        > to look to
        > find what is that I really like and what is my real passion.
        >
        > Best to all of you.
        > Damian.
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qBs90rIAc4

      • Joeri Murk
        Message 3 of 24 , May 3, 2011
          Wanderfull your feelings on the panflute. I am crying inside but I anderstand your decision to stop to sing the panflute. Dear Damian, my felicitation to your decision. Greatness is if you are wise enough to follow your own feeling and your heart. I will be present on your last conceert in Bucarest the 8. Mai 2011 Then now ends your old life and starts a new life for you and this will bee great, Jöri :)

          >Here is a performance I had on TV last week.
          >Also this week is my LAST concert with the great violonist Nigel Kennedy.
          >This will be my last concert, I have decided that I don't want to play the pan
          >flute anymore, the reason for this is that I have realized that for the last 27
          >years my motivation has not been the right one, I have been playing the panflute
          >to show off and show off, so I have not done it for the right reason, PASSION,
          >so i have decided that I don't wanna spend the rest of my life fighting to prove
          >my self to other musicians and people.
          >
          >I know that if I have had the passion and the dedication within the next 10
          >years I could have reach amazing things (playing wise ) on the pan flute, and I
          >really hope that somewhere there will be a young kid starting to practice and
          >learn the panflute the way I envision.
          >
          >One thing I know for sure that if you practice the right way, with the right
          >foundation, structure and discipline you can play on the pan flute anything,
          >really anything that any other instrument can play.
          >So this is my last concert as a pan flute player and my last album, the album
          >that I have to finish within the last two months or so.
          >
          >I wish the best to all of you and I am really happy that I can start to look to
          >find what is that I really like and what is my real passion.
          >
          >Best to all of you.
          >Damian.
          >

          >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qBs90rIAc4

          www.dajoeri.com
        • Joeri Murk
          Message 4 of 24 , May 3, 2011
            Now you are FREE and can deside by you own what you want doo and if you feel to play also the panflute then it will bee beacause you want it. BRAVO Damian, I love you, Jöri

            >Wanderfull your feelings on the panflute. I am crying inside but I anderstand your decision to stop to sing the panflute. Dear Damian, my felicitation to your decision. Greatness is if you are wise enough to follow your own feeling and your heart. I will be present on your last conceert in Bucarest the 8. Mai 2011 Then now ends your old life and starts a new life for you and this will bee great, Jöri :)

            www.dajoeri.com
          • Tommy
            Message 5 of 24 , May 3, 2011
              Hi Damian !

              That´s ofcourse sad to hear, but thank You for all the good times you were
              with us :-)
              Who know´s, maybe the Damian´s fire will come back one day :-)
              I agree with you in one thing 100% - if you are a true musician, you must
              know, when you have to stop. If you play because you ... must... it´s not
              right to continue.

              Tommy

              > Dear friends,
              > I hope all is well with you all.
              > Here is a performance I had on TV last week.
              > Also this week is my LAST concert with the great violonist Nigel Kennedy.
              > This will be my last concert, I have decided that I don't want to play the
              > pan
              > flute anymore, the reason for this is that I have realized that for the
              > last 27
              > years my motivation has not been the right one, I have been playing the
              > panflute
              > to show off and show off, so I have not done it for the right reason,
              > PASSION,
              > so i have decided that I don't wanna spend the rest of my life fighting to
              > prove
              > my self to other musicians and people.
              >
              > I know that if I have had the passion and the dedication within the next
              > 10
              > years I could have reach amazing things (playing wise ) on the pan flute,
              > and I
              > really hope that somewhere there will be a young kid starting to practice
              > and
              > learn the panflute the way I envision.
              >
              > One thing I know for sure that if you practice the right way, with the
              > right
              > foundation, structure and discipline you can play on the pan flute
              > anything,
              > really anything that any other instrument can play.
              > So this is my last concert as a pan flute player and my last album, the
              > album
              > that I have to finish within the last two months or so.
              >
              > I wish the best to all of you and I am really happy that I can start to
              > look to
              > find what is that I really like and what is my real passion.
              >
              > Best to all of you.
              > Damian.
              >

              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qBs90rIAc4

            • Brad White
              Message 6 of 24 , May 3, 2011
                On May 2, 2011, at 10:22 PM, Damian Draghici wrote:

                > I wish the best to all of you and I am really happy that I can start
                > to look to
                > find what is that I really like and what is my real passion.
                >
                > Best to all of you.
                > Damian.

                We all support and send you our love Damian. I hope you do find your
                passion.. and then maybe you will come back to the panflute with a
                renewed energy sometime down the road.

                All the best ... brad
              • george700dl
                Message 7 of 24 , May 3, 2011
                  Hi Damian,

                  As I already mentioned, your playing was and is a big inspiration for me. Originally, I fell in love with the nai, and I still love it - that is why I still build them for people occasionally and I still play whenever I get a chance.

                  But what I realized was that my passion goes beyond the nai - I simply love this type of folk music, no matter what instrument. I now play mostly with Hungarians, and we play mostly Transylvanian music. I love all of it, Romanian, Hungarian, Transylvanian. I play the 3 string bracsa, double bass, and I'm starting on the taragot.

                  So what I am getting to is: I hope that whatever passion you find, it has to do with music:)

                  But in any case, I'm not sad - I am happy for you!

                  All the best,
                  George

                  --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, Damian Draghici <damian.draghici@...> wrote:

                  > Dear friends,
                  > I hope all is well with you all.
                  > Here is a performance I had on TV last week.
                  > Also this week is my LAST concert with the great violonist Nigel Kennedy.
                  > This will be my last concert, I have decided that I don't want to play the pan
                  > flute anymore, the reason for this is that I have realized that for the last 27
                  > years my motivation has not been the right one, I have been playing the panflute
                  > to show off and show off, so I have not done it for the right reason, PASSION,
                  > so i have decided that I don't wanna spend the rest of my life fighting to prove
                  > my self to other musicians and people.
                  >
                  > I know that if I have had the passion and the dedication within the next 10
                  > years I could have reach amazing things (playing wise ) on the pan flute, and I
                  > really hope that somewhere there will be a young kid starting to practice and
                  > learn the panflute the way I envision.
                  >
                  > One thing I know for sure that if you practice the right way, with the right
                  > foundation, structure and discipline you can play on the pan flute anything,
                  > really anything that any other instrument can play.
                  > So this is my last concert as a pan flute player and my last album, the album
                  > that I have to finish within the last two months or so.
                  >
                  > I wish the best to all of you and I am really happy that I can start to look to
                  > find what is that I really like and what is my real passion.
                  >
                  > Best to all of you.
                  > Damian.
                  >

                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qBs90rIAc4

                • Paul H
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 3, 2011
                    Hi Damian

                    Take a break if you need one man. We all start off wanting to show off and as we mature, we may find we actually have something to say. Leave the panflute to one side. and then come back to it after a year, but next time with the whole tone tuning! I look forward to playing Cherokee in all 12 keys with you sometime :) But those superfast speeds make me feel my brain is bouncing inside my skull when I practise. Let's take it easy and play for a long life without brain or neck damage :)

                    hang loose my friend!

                    Paul

                    Oh and by the way, if you're really giving up, can I get those contact mikes off you? He he

                    something of the drama
                    --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, Damian Draghici <damian.draghici@...> wrote:

                    > Dear friends,
                    > I hope all is well with you all.
                    > Here is a performance I had on TV last week.
                    > Also this week is my LAST concert with the great violonist Nigel Kennedy.
                    > This will be my last concert, I have decided that I don't want to play the pan
                    > flute anymore, the reason for this is that I have realized that for the last 27
                    > years my motivation has not been the right one, I have been playing the panflute
                    > to show off and show off, so I have not done it for the right reason, PASSION,
                    > so i have decided that I don't wanna spend the rest of my life fighting to prove
                    > my self to other musicians and people.
                    >
                    > I know that if I have had the passion and the dedication within the next 10
                    > years I could have reach amazing things (playing wise ) on the pan flute, and I
                    > really hope that somewhere there will be a young kid starting to practice and
                    > learn the panflute the way I envision.
                    >
                    > One thing I know for sure that if you practice the right way, with the right
                    > foundation, structure and discipline you can play on the pan flute anything,
                    > really anything that any other instrument can play.
                    > So this is my last concert as a pan flute player and my last album, the album
                    > that I have to finish within the last two months or so.
                    >
                    > I wish the best to all of you and I am really happy that I can start to look to
                    > find what is that I really like and what is my real passion.
                    >
                    > Best to all of you.
                    > Damian.
                    >

                    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qBs90rIAc4

                  • Bob Brougham
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 3, 2011
                      Damian,

                      For whatever you decide as your future, our love and good wishes go with you.
                      To me you are an expert, and above all an inspiration to us amateurs alike.
                      What ever you decide, please don't leave the forum as we need your expertise to help us develop.
                      Kind regards,
                      Bob.

                    • kbudd@yorku.ca
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 27, 2011
                        Take a look at these

                        http://www.dmamusic.org/acousticoils/woodwind.html

                        I am guessing that they have a similar effect to inserts or rings inside the top
                        of pan flute tubes, making them more acoustically efficient.

                        Kevin
                      • Tommytroll
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 27, 2011
                          Hi Kevin

                          This isn't all that "new". The ancient Chinese and Japanese flutemakers used a similar technique to improve acoustic impedance (standing-wave/backpressure). Here is an example diagram of a Nohkan Flute design.{scroll down to diagram}

                          http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~DL1S-YMGC/nohkan-e.htm

                          I'm sure the acoustics of the modern devices is slightly superior, but an amateur woodwind maker could rig a homemade device with ease. It is the placement of this device at the prime anti-node that is the key to it's success. Quite some time ago I posted here about a similar throated panflute design that would improve tone and response times. (The placement of the throat in a Panpipe tube is located at 0.618 of the length of the tube measured up from the inner plug face.)

                          Thomas Hastay.

                        • kbudd@yorku.ca
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 27, 2011
                            Hi Thomas,

                            Yes, thanks for clarifying this. No doubt the "throat" of the Japanese flute is
                            a time-honoured effective technique.

                            Kevin

                          • kbudd@yorku.ca
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 29, 2011
                              Some students put together a simple "prezi" presentation on the pan flute.

                              http://prezi.com/fskdjuy2css-/pan-flutes/

                              Please note names listed.

                              Kevin Budd
                            • george700dl
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 1 3:58 AM
                                Hi Thomas,

                                So have you done this on a panflute? What were your results?

                                George

                                --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "Tommytroll" <thomashastay@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Kevin
                                >
                                > This isn't all that "new". The ancient Chinese and Japanese flutemakers used a similar technique to improve acoustic impedance (standing-wave/backpressure). Here is an example diagram of a Nohkan Flute design.{scroll down to diagram}
                                >
                                > http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~DL1S-YMGC/nohkan-e.htm
                                >
                                > I'm sure the acoustics of the modern devices is slightly superior, but an amateur woodwind maker could rig a homemade device with ease. It is the placement of this device at the prime anti-node that is the key to it's success. Quite some time ago I posted here about a similar throated panflute design that would improve tone and response times. (The placement of the throat in a Panpipe tube is located at 0.618 of the length of the tube measured up from the inner plug face.)
                                >
                                > Thomas Hastay.
                                >
                                > > --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, kbudd@ wrote:
                                > > >

                                > > > Take a look at these
                                > > >
                                > > > http://www.dmamusic.org/acousticoils/woodwind.html
                                > > >
                                > > > I am guessing that they have a similar effect to inserts or rings inside the top
                                > > > of pan flute tubes, making them more acoustically efficient.
                                > > >
                                > > > Kevin

                              • Paul H
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 1 6:46 AM
                                  Hi Thomas

                                  Do you have more tech specs on the Placement of the throat for panpipe? I mean:
                                  is 0.618 the middle/top/bottom of the throat?
                                  how long is the throat?
                                  by what percentage does it decrease the tube diameter? and
                                  does the tube length need subsequent adjustment?

                                  Lot of questions there !!

                                  all the best

                                  Paul

                                  --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "Tommytroll" <thomashastay@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Kevin
                                  >
                                  > This isn't all that "new". The ancient Chinese and Japanese flutemakers used a similar technique to improve acoustic impedance (standing-wave/backpressure). Here is an example diagram of a Nohkan Flute design.{scroll down to diagram}
                                  >
                                  > http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~DL1S-YMGC/nohkan-e.htm
                                  >
                                  > I'm sure the acoustics of the modern devices is slightly superior, but an amateur woodwind maker could rig a homemade device with ease. It is the placement of this device at the prime anti-node that is the key to it's success. Quite some time ago I posted here about a similar throated panflute design that would improve tone and response times. (The placement of the throat in a Panpipe tube is located at 0.618 of the length of the tube measured up from the inner plug face.)
                                  >
                                  > Thomas Hastay.
                                  >
                                  > > --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, kbudd@ wrote:
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Take a look at these
                                  > > >
                                  > > > http://www.dmamusic.org/acousticoils/woodwind.html
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I am guessing that they have a similar effect to inserts or rings inside the top
                                  > > > of pan flute tubes, making them more acoustically efficient.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Kevin

                                • george700dl
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 1 10:32 AM
                                    I screwed up in making mine, since I glued them together instead of using a twine. But at least I was able to bend them, making them "fluent" :)

                                    If I could only find a piano player accompany me, since that is, like, the best and stuff.

                                    --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, kbudd@... wrote:

                                    > Some students put together a simple "prezi" presentation on the pan flute.
                                    >
                                    > http://prezi.com/fskdjuy2css-/pan-flutes/
                                    >
                                    > Please note names listed.
                                    >

                                    > Kevin Budd

                                  • Tommytroll
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 6 3:39 PM
                                      Sorry for the late reply Paul...

                                      In every panflute tube there is a "place of highest vibration", called an anti-node. This can vary with each pipe because of small diameter differences and slight taper from top to bottom. If a ring of wax/wood etc. is placed at this point of the inner tube diameter, you will create an artificial "standing sound wave". Because the Ring slows down the in/out flow of air, it allows the Vacume/Pressure area just below the tube mouth, more time to create Vacume/Pressure and therefore more acoustic energy with less breath. The response time for the tube to sound will also be much faster (quicker half notes).

                                      Measure the tube with a chopstick or small dowel placed inside the tube. make a mark at the lip edge. Take this measurement and multiply it by 0.618 and make a mark with the result, measured from the bottom of the stick. When you place it back in the tube it will indicate the "sweet spot" anti-node point.

                                      You can experiment with ring thicknesses between 1mm to 3mm until you find the best result for each tube. Beeswax, Rolled paper rings waxed in place or even insert industrial rubber "O" rings if they expand tightly in the tube with no bumps or kinks (these sometimes work very well!)

                                      A throat restriction produces greater acoustic impedance and faster response time in panflute tubes. Try some experiments!(I can't give away all my secrets ;)

                                      Thomas Hastay.

                                      --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "Paul H" <monxmood@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Thomas
                                      >
                                      > Do you have more tech specs on the Placement of the throat for panpipe? I mean:
                                      > is 0.618 the middle/top/bottom of the throat?
                                      > how long is the throat?
                                      > by what percentage does it decrease the tube diameter? and
                                      > does the tube length need subsequent adjustment?
                                      >
                                      > Lot of questions there !!
                                      >
                                      > all the best
                                      >
                                      > Paul
                                      >
                                      > --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "Tommytroll" <thomashastay@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi Kevin
                                      > >
                                      > > This isn't all that "new". The ancient Chinese and Japanese flutemakers used a similar technique to improve acoustic impedance (standing-wave/backpressure). Here is an example diagram of a Nohkan Flute design.{scroll down to diagram}
                                      > >
                                      > > http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~DL1S-YMGC/nohkan-e.htm
                                      > >
                                      > > I'm sure the acoustics of the modern devices is slightly superior, but an amateur woodwind maker could rig a homemade device with ease. It is the placement of this device at the prime anti-node that is the key to it's success. Quite some time ago I posted here about a similar throated panflute design that would improve tone and response times. (The placement of the throat in a Panpipe tube is located at 0.618 of the length of the tube measured up from the inner plug face.)
                                      > >
                                      > > Thomas Hastay.

                                    • Paul H
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 7 5:17 AM
                                        Wow that is a surprise! It is kind of counterintuitive to put the resistance at the place of HIGHEST vibration. That is two thirds of the way down. I will give it a try.

> [...]
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Hi Kevin
                                        > > >
                                        > > > This isn't all that "new". The ancient Chinese and Japanese flutemakers used a similar technique to improve acoustic impedance (standing-wave/backpressure). Here is an example diagram of a Nohkan Flute design.{scroll down to diagram}
                                        > > >
                                        > > > http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~DL1S-YMGC/nohkan-e.htm
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I'm sure the acoustics of the modern devices is slightly superior, but an amateur woodwind maker could rig a homemade device with ease. It is the placement of this device at the prime anti-node that is the key to it's success. Quite some time ago I posted here about a similar throated panflute design that would improve tone and response times. (The placement of the throat in a Panpipe tube is located at 0.618 of the length of the tube measured up from the inner plug face.)

                                      • Tommytroll
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 7 9:40 AM
                                          nope! sorry,lost in translation! ;) 2/3rds (0.618%) up from the inner plug face or 1/3rd down (0.381%) from the inner lip = the sweet spot.

                                          --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "Paul H" <monxmood@...> wrote:

                                          > Wow that is a surprise! It is kind of counterintuitive to put the resistance at the place of HIGHEST vibration. That is two thirds of the way down. I will give it a try.
                                          >

                                          > --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "Tommytroll" <thomashastay@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Sorry for the late reply Paul...
                                          > >
                                          > > In every panflute tube there is a "place of highest vibration", called an anti-node. This can vary with each pipe because of small diameter differences and slight taper from top to bottom. If a ring of wax/wood etc. is placed at this point of the inner tube diameter, you will create an artificial "standing sound wave". Because the Ring slows down the in/out flow of air, it allows the Vacume/Pressure area just below the tube mouth, more time to create Vacume/Pressure and therefore more acoustic energy with less breath. The response time for the tube to sound will also be much faster (quicker half notes).
                                          > >
                                          > > Measure the tube with a chopstick or small dowel placed inside the tube. make a mark at the lip edge. Take this measurement and multiply it by 0.618 and make a mark with the result, measured from the bottom of the stick. When you place it back in the tube it will indicate the "sweet spot" anti-node point.
                                          > >
                                          > > You can experiment with ring thicknesses between 1mm to 3mm until you find the best result for each tube. Beeswax, Rolled paper rings waxed in place or even insert industrial rubber "O" rings if they expand tightly in the tube with no bumps or kinks (these sometimes work very well!)
                                          > >
                                          > > A throat restriction produces greater acoustic impedance and faster response time in panflute tubes. Try some experiments!(I can't give away all my secrets ;)
                                          > >
                                          > > Thomas Hastay.
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "Paul H" <monxmood@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Hi Thomas
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Do you have more tech specs on the Placement of the throat for panpipe? I mean:
                                          > > > is 0.618 the middle/top/bottom of the throat?
                                          > > > how long is the throat?
                                          > > > by what percentage does it decrease the tube diameter? and
                                          > > > does the tube length need subsequent adjustment?
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Lot of questions there !!
                                          > > >
                                          > > > all the best
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Paul

                                        • george700dl
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 7 12:06 PM
                                            Shouldn't the pipe length is defined by the audience edge instead of the lip edge? The lip "edge" can vary quite a bit while playing, since the player job is partially to extend that side with his/her embouchure.

                                            Definitely worth experimenting with, since it's easily reversible...

                                          • kbudd@yorku.ca
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 7 12:56 PM
                                              I am told that Andean players look for a "bottle" tube, a natural cane or bamboo
                                              one that is smaller toward the very top end for the same reason.

                                              Kevin

                                            • george700dl
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 7 2:36 PM
                                                Maybe I just got lucky with my selection of bamboo + manufacturing process, because I have no issues with the ease of producing strong tone.

                                                When you get to the sub-bass level, maybe that's where you need extra help. But an alto? Non-issue. Still worth experimenting though - can't hurt if it's reversible (you can take those inserts out). If someone tries this, can we hear some before and after examples?

                                                George

                                              • Paul H
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 9 3:29 AM
                                                  Bottle shapes sound great if the shoulder is angled right, and the neck/body ratio is about 1:2. I have tried various combinations with two closely fitting plastic tubes (one partially inserted inside the other) to test the tuning of the harmonics.

                                                  One pair I made gave C2 + Bb3 with the small tube uppermost, and F2 + A3 when reversed, a perfect dominant-tonic cadence. I used the flat of the palm to close the bottom (obviously).

                                                  From this I learned that a bottle profile spreads the distance between partials, while conversely the vase profile narrows the gap. Since the first overblow (at the 12th) on a cylindrical tube is usually flat, and makes the panflute wearisome to listen to for some people, a slight bottle profile is useful in bringing that partial into tune, and bringing the music to more folks !!!

                                                  The one drawback of bottle profile for panflutists is that it makes it slightly harder work to get those semitones by lipping down, as the neck of the bottle has already done that for you - so to speak

                                                  I have made a 3d design using carefully calibrated bottle profile over a 3 1/2 octave range, but as each prototype costs me 500 USD it would take me a couple grand to find the right diameter ratio and get the thing in tune, money which I don't have right now.

                                                  So you'll just have to wait for the next panpipe revolution, or "panpipe spring" - to use the current term.

                                                  All the best

                                                  Paul

                                                • george700dl
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jun 10 10:47 AM
                                                    > Bottle shapes sound great if the shoulder is angled right, and the neck/body ratio is about 1:2.

                                                    I agree they sound great, but only in the hands of someone like Stephan Popescu, at about 2:16 time in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC_ngxdyEBY&NR=1

                                                    :)

                                                    George