A Panflutey Weekend in Winkel

  • Famke
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
      Another Panflutey Weekend in Winkel

      Some things become quite a tradition! For the 6th time I attended the panflute seminar of Michael Dinner and Dan Herford. I can tell you, that I am not the only one to come back. Almost everybody does!
      As you may know, they always invite a guest teacher. This time there were 2 guests: Radu Simion and the cymbalist Nina Munteanu.
      Radu Simion we knew already and it was nice to meet him again. Nina was a wonderful surprise. She lives in the Ukraine but plays in Switzerland quite often.
      This time a lot of the participants did not go home after the evening meal, but stayed in the 2 hotels in Winkel. I can recommend you that! Certainly if you live far away, but not only then.
      It starts normally with a kind of informal reception. After this everybody plays something to show his or her level. This time Michael had decided that this was not necessary. He and Dan knew almost everybody. Both of them know that for some people this playing solo in front of the others is quite a nerve racking thing. For me for example. Although I know that really nothing bad can happen, I always get very nervous. We made music and fun together and had a very nice meal.
      On Saturday morning the real work started. My group had 3 hours with Dan to start with.This is always hard work, but you can learn a lot!
      Later in the day we had a class with Radu Simion. There it is important to be a good observer. You can learn a lot by looking well. I did however have my problems with the tempo in which he wanted us to play the tunes. Playing fast is not my strength! But you are likely to be more advanced than I am.
      In the evening all the people who stayed for the night, had a really nice meal in the Breitti-restaurant. I think it was a nice surprise also for the other guests in the restaurant when Dan grasped his guitar and started to sing. Then you can see that he is former bandleader!A bit later several panflutes joined in the festival. Michael and Dani are anyway likely to play on occasions like that. But several others did too! Radu Simion had not brought his own panflute to the restaurant,but someone lent him one. So he played too. As I said, it was quite a festival!
      On Sunday we started with Nina. For us that was more relaxed. Of course she knew that our group was not advanced. However, she said: "I want you to let your panflutes sing. That you cannot play fast, that doesn't matter." In fact she encouraged us to play more slowly. I still hear her saying: "Langsam! Langsam!"
      Later all the groups and of course the teachers practiced together for the final concert. You don't have to be to afraid of this. The audience consists mainly of family and friends of the participants. They know that we are not professionals (apart from the teachers, of course). The teachers will support the students. During the second part of the concert the teachers play their solos and the students can listen with the audience. If you like to hear a bit of the music that we played, have a look at the following film http://www.panfloete.ch/csssite/Seminar/filme.html.
      One of my favourite pieces (of the ones that we played during the concert) was the doina that we did together with Radu Simion. However, I was glad that we students only had to play the notes La and Mi (A and E). Michael directed us and indicated where we had to change. But I liked the whole concert!
      After the concert we had a nice meal together. Friends of Nina brought a tart, which was wonderfull too! And then: music again! If you like to see pictures, look at this link: http://www.panfloete.ch/csssite/Seminar/fotos09.html
      As usual it was a super weekend! Thanks a lot Michael, Dan, Simion and Nina!
      And you who were not there yet; maybe we meet next October in Winkel? Same of course for everybody who was there!
      Musical greetings
      Famke
    • Famke
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2011
        A Panflutey Weekend in Winkel

        From 1 till 3 October there was the Panflute Seminar of Michael Dinner and Dan
        Herford In Winkel near Zürich. It was already for the 10th time! I was there
        for the 7th time. So you could already speak of a tradition!
        The guest teacher was Vasile Iovu, again . Since almost everybody comes back
        after the first time, he is well known (and liked) by all the students. For the
        people who do not know him yet: he is the panflute teacher of the Music
        Highschool in Chisinau in Moldavia. In Moldavia he is quite as well known as
        Zamfir who by the way has taught him a lot. If you want a superb player of
        doinas, he is your man!
        As a surprise for the 10th anniversary, Dan had invited Constantin Raducanu, a
        very good cymbalist. Maybe you know that in traditional Romanian taraf (a
        Romanian folklore orchestra) there is sure to be a cymbal.
        For most of the students the Seminar started with the welcome apéro on Friday
        evening. However,for whoever wanted something extra, there was also the
        possibilty to take a private lesson with Dan. Bert, Daniel and I happily made
        use of that. Dan makes you work hard, but you learn a lot.
        After the welcome drink we all eat together. And then the festival starts.
        Lots of music , with at times the whole group playing together. Don't worry
        if you really don't want, you are not forced to do so! However, even I
        participated, and playing in public is not really my thing.
        For my group the lessons started with Michael. This means that we had a
        relatively quiet time. As far as that is possible when you are supposed to
        study a lot of tunes for the concert the day after. But don't worry; if you do
        not feel at ease with a melody, you don't have to play it on the concert.
        Better leave it to the better players.
        After lunch it was Dan's turn to train us. As I said, that means hard work,
        especially as he tends to be optimistic about the amount of music we can study
        at home. Unfortunately, we do have a lot of other things that must be done.
        Very few of the participants of the seminar are professional musicians. But all
        can learn from the profis!! And enjoy themselves at the same time!!
        The last one to teach us on Saturday was Vasile Iovu. In Moldavia he is as
        well known as Zamfir. However, he does not have star manners. In fact, he
        told us, that the practicing of tone scales reminded him of his youth. He had
        not done that for so long. As a student he often played in the cellar of the
        building where he lived, in order to avoid bothering the other inhabitants. In
        spite of this precaution he was sometimes threatened with expulsion. Luckily,
        he always had protectors.
        So, if you are having problems with neighbours because of your music, you are in
        good company! He had it too. Virginia clearly had a good time too, interpreting
        all he said from Rumanian into German. I bet it is a nice change with the kind
        of things she usually has to translate. Although that might be interesting as
        well, but rather sad at times I guess. As a matter of fact, she often interprets
        for criminals.
        In the evening we ate together and had fun. Of course there was a lot of music
        with panflutes, cymbal and guitar and piano.
        Sunday is always a busy day. To begin with, there are more lessons. The first
        hour we had Vasile Iovu entertaining us again. Then we got two hours with
        Constantin Raducanu. This was an interesting experience too. We practiced the
        pieces for the concert with our small group. After lunch we had choir
        practice with all the groups together. This of course was the final
        rehearsal for the concert. Here Dan was our director. Dear Dan, I hope we did
        not disappoint you too much with the fact that we had not managed to study
        all the pieces you would have liked us to play in this jubliee concert. We
        do our best, but we students are generally no profis. We have to fit in our
        music study between the other things we must do. Anyway, thank heaven ,
        there are some good players among us who support the weaker ones (like me). And
        in the second half of the concert it is the turn of the soloists. They always
        do a super job! Yes you do! The reaction of the audience was accordingly
        enthousiatic! If you would like to hear what was played, look at
        http://www.panfloete.ch/csssite/Seminar/fotos10.html . Then you can see a lot of
        pictures and hear the music.
        It was a superb seminar again. Thanks a lot Michael, Dan, Maestro Iovu,
        Constantin Raducanu and Virginia!
        See you again in autumn!
        Famke
      • kbudd@yorku.ca
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2011
          Hi Famke,

          This sounds like a great seminar. Thanks so much for taking the time to write in
          detail what it was like.

          It's good to knwo about Vasile Iovu. We do not hear much from MOldoval players,
          although I understand there are some really good ones.

          The photos are really nice to see...and the music sounds like Fanica Luca style.
          Very sweet playing.

          Regards,

          Kevin

          Quoting Famke <panfamke@...>:

          > A Panflutey Weekend in Winkel
          >
          > From 1 till 3 October there was the Panflute Seminar of Michael Dinner and
          > Dan
          > Herford In Winkel near Zürich. It was already for the 10th time! I was there
          > for the 7th time. So you could already speak of a tradition!
          > The guest teacher was Vasile Iovu, again . Since almost everybody comes back
          > after the first time, he is well known (and liked) by all the students. For
          > the
          > people who do not know him yet: he is the panflute teacher of the Music
          > Highschool in Chisinau in Moldavia. In Moldavia he is quite as well known as
          > Zamfir who by the way has taught him a lot. If you want a superb player of
          > doinas, he is your man!
          > As a surprise for the 10th anniversary, Dan had invited Constantin Raducanu,
          > very good cymbalist. Maybe you know that in traditional Romanian taraf (a
          > Romanian folklore orchestra) there is sure to be a cymbal.
          > For most of the students
        • Famke
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2011
            Thanks Kevin! It is always a great seminar. This autumn Ulrich Herkenhoff will be the guest teacher. And he will bring his cymbalist. Should be interesting too!
            Best wishes
            Famke

          • kbudd@yorku.ca
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2011
              And more about Moldova and the pan flute.

              Go to www.ebay.com and put in this number in the search box.

              390249030321

              Kevin

              Quoting kbudd@...: