Re: bamboo from Wal Mart

  • lolaluki
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 4:12 AM
      Thanks for the tip, Kevin. We will be in Texas for one week towards the end of April. I will try to buy a new "flute" while we are there. ; )) Lola

      > Those of you living in North America will be able to go to your local
      > Wal Mart store now and buy an $8 bundle of 8 pieces of
      > bamboo...enough to make your own instrument. They are selling it as
      > decoration, but the diameters are good for pan flutes, and it is not
      > a bad bamboo, a little soft, but quite usable. The good thing is the
      > bundle has a variety of sizes, probably enough to make a 20 tubed
      > pan flute, for $8.
    • Thomas Hastay
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11 6:56 AM
        Thanks Kevin.

        I made my first Mid-C 6 hole Folk Flute from a Bamboo Walmart "Tiki Torch". I used a plastic vernier claipers, a rat-tail file to remove the interior node and an Xacto Knife to cut all the holes. It turned out perfect! I still play it at Celtic Sessions.

        Tip: Filling cracks in bamboo with Cyanoacrylate (super glue) and wrapping or binding the the outside of the bamboo with heavy thread will create a better sounding instrument. Using colored thread will add to the art of your instrument as well.

        Thomas Hastay.

        --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Budd <kbudd@...> wrote:

        > Those of you living in North America will be able to go to your local
        > Wal Mart store now and buy an $8 bundle of 8 pieces of
        > bamboo...enough to make your own instrument. They are selling it as
        > decoration, but the diameters are good for pan flutes, and it is not
        > a bad bamboo, a little soft, but quite usable. The good thing is the
        > bundle has a variety of sizes, probably enough to make a 20 tubed
        > pan flute, for $8.
        >
        > Kevin
        > www.panflute.ca

      • Kevin Budd
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11 7:38 AM
          On 11-Apr-09, at 9:56 AM, Thomas Hastay wrote:
          > Thanks Kevin.
          >
          > I made my first Mid-C 6 hole Folk Flute from a Bamboo Walmart "Tiki
          > Torch". I used a plastic vernier claipers, a rat-tail file to
          > remove the interior node and an Xacto Knife to cut all the holes.
          > It turned out perfect! I still play it at Celtic Sessions.
          >
          > Tip: Filling cracks in bamboo with Cyanoacrylate (super glue) and
          > wrapping or binding the the outside of the bamboo with heavy thread
          > will create a better sounding instrument. Using colored thread will
          > add to the art of your instrument as well.
          >
          > Thomas Hastay.

          Nice ideas, Thomas. With some pan flutes that cost $3000, it is good
          to remember that this is a simple instrument, (not primitive but
          simple) and even a 6 hole pan flute can give us lots of fun.

          When I do school music demonstrations I always show a 5 tubed pan
          flute, then one with 8 tubes made from plastic tube. It is important
          to show that a school child can make a simple one and have fun.

          Kevin