The Associated Press: Bush's visit to Bucharest

  • Brad White
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 2, 2008
      I saw this about Bush's visit to Bucharest Romania ... brad

      http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jCCW7CkhZjVogJffTsQXmlpTIq_QD8VPU38G1

      Remember Zamfir, "the King of the Pan Flute" who may have sold more
      albums than Elvis in Europe? No?

      Well, the Bush administration wants you to know that the star of those
      old television commercials is one of Romania's most famous citizens.

      On the occasion of Bush's visit to Bucharest, the White House has put
      Gheorghe Zamfir on a list of Romanian artists and athletes, including
      former Olympic gymnast Nadia Comaneci, worthy of special note by
      journalists.

      A three-page biography of "Maestro Zamfir," distributed to reporters in
      a package of background material on Romania, hails the pan flute
      virtuoso as a "musical pioneer," a "living legend," and, to some of his
      loyal fans, possibly "the reincarnation of the god Pan."

      The bio, downloaded directly from Zamfir's official Web site, notes his
      international fame and popular appeal, especially in Europe and Asia,
      where music lovers have no doubt racked up sales of his records.

      It also says the world was nearly denied his tremendous talent because
      as a teenager he was virtually forced to take up the pan flute when he
      could not get a seat in classes for his instrument of choice: the
      accordion.

      ___

      Members of the traveling White House press corps got a small jolt
      Wednesday when word filtered to Bucharest that their chartered jumbo
      jet is one of 52 United Airlines Boeing 777s temporarily grounded for
      inspections of their cargo holds' fire suppression system.

      A spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration said the plane
      will require the safety check that forced the cancellation of 31 of 84
      scheduled United 777 flights and caused delays in Japan and Hawaii.
      United is flying staff to Bucharest to carry out the inspection, which
      is not lengthy.

      The press corps is not scheduled to leave Romania until Friday when
      Bush goes to Croatia. The White House said it expects the necessary
      inspections to be done before then and does not envision any delays.

      "We don't foresee any impact on the travel schedule of the White House
      press corps," White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said.

      Associated Press writers Matthew Lee and Alina Wolfe Murray in
      Bucharest, Romania, and Michael J. Sniffen in Washington contributed to
      this report.
    • flytiethis@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
        Sorry Brad,I am not interested in Zamfir,i got in enough trouble on pan flute friends over him,that i had to leave because i could not voice my opinion.He plays very well,but i dont like the things i read about him.I am not doing very good with my pan flute.Enfhizema is stopping me,I dont have enough wind to get any sound,When i blow into the pipes,there just isnt enough air coming out.I love the instrument,and dont give up once i start something.I pray that the Lord will heal my lungs.I work with the flute every day,but my lungs are just too weak.I do have the wind to play the harmonica though.I dont have to blow so hard with the harmonica.I kind of whistle into the pipes,and can play El Condor Passo.This song is prety easy for me.I play it on the harmonica too.
        --
        Neal-flytiethis *** GOD BLESS

        -------------- Original message from Brad White <bwhite@...>: --------------

[...]

      • george700dl
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
          Hi Neal,

          Sorry to hear about your medical problem. But I think you can work on
          making your air stream more efficient, to the point where it really
          doesn't take that much effort to get a clean tone out on a panpipe.
          I'm not a teacher nor a doctor, of course, so I don't want to give
          advice that could potentially hurt you. Perhaps keeping everything
          above D2 or so for now would allow you to play with less effort?

          Sorry to hear about your experience on Panflutefriends. You can join
          our growing club of people whose memberships there have been
          terminated (I think we number 5+ at this point, maybe more :) ).

          I'm listening to Zamfir right now in my MP3 player (yes, I finally
          got with the times and purchased a cheap mp3 player). I don't so much
          care for his western music, but I love his romanian folklore material.

          Take care.
          George

          --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, "flytiethis@..."
          <flytiethis@...> wrote:

> [...]
          plane
          > will require the safety check that forced the cancellation of 31 of
          84
          > scheduled United 777 flights and caused delays in Japan and Hawaii.
          > United is flying staff to Bucharest to carry out the inspection,
          which
          > is not lengthy.
          >
          > The press corps is not scheduled to leave Romania until Friday when
          > Bush goes to Croatia. The White House said it expects the necessary
          > inspections to be done before then and does not envision any delays.
          >
          > "We don't foresee any impact on the travel schedule of the White
          House
          > press corps," White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said.
          >
          > Associated Press writers Matthew Lee and Alina Wolfe Murray in
          > Bucharest, Romania, and Michael J. Sniffen in Washington

        • Brad White
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
            On Apr 3, 2008, at 7:34 AM, george700dl wrote:

            > Sorry to hear about your medical problem. But I think you can work on
            > making your air stream more efficient, to the point where it really
            > doesn't take that much effort to get a clean tone out on a panpipe.

            I called Neil and we spoke about that as well. Once your embouchure is
            strong its amazing how little air it takes. But of course that takes
            time. He is not giving up he told me :) He is determined to play!!

            ... brad
          • flytiethis@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
              Thank you George for your concern.I do plan on playing my pan flute,OR,I will die trying.I just need to build up my lungs .Tell me what group are you talking about,send me a link,and an invite to join,if i need one.
              --
              Neal-flytiethis *** GOD BLESS

              -------------- Original message from "george700dl" <george700dl@...>: --------------

              <flytiethis@...> wrote:

> [...]
              plane
              > will require the safety check that forced the cancellation of 31 of
              84
              > scheduled United 777 flights and caused delays in Japan and Hawaii.
              > United is flying staff to Bucharest to carry out the inspection,
              which
              > is not lengthy.
              >
              > The press corps is not scheduled to leave Romania until Friday when
              > Bush goes to Croatia. The White House said it expects the necessary
              > inspections to be done before then and does not envision any delays.
              >
              > "We don't foresee any impact on the travel schedule of the White
              House
              > press corps," White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said.
              >
              > Associated Press writers Matthew Lee and Alina Wolfe Murray in
              > Bucharest, Romania, and Michael J. Sniffen in Washington

            • george700dl
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
                Oh, no official "club" - I was simply refering to those of us who
                lost their memberships at panflutefriends :)

              • flytiethis@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
                  Hi George,I didnt loose my membership with panflutefriends,I just had enough of the crap that goes on there,and chose not to partisipate any longer.Tell me,why did you loose your membership there.How many others are there?Well last night i spent some time with the pan flute,and was able to get some sound from it,but i am not consistant yet with the sound,but i am getting there.I kept changing the position of my lips,and the flute,to see what works best for me.The half smile works,but i cant always remember to spit a pit when i blow.I have to condition myselfe for this.The harmonica,on the other, hand is very easy for me.I have been playing for many many moons.I played in many clubs and hotels,but now i just play in church.I am in the praise band.I have too many harmonicas,a whole set of Lee Oskar,major diatonics,a 16 hole chromatic,along with others.I just bought a bass guitar,and amp,that i am trying to teach myselfe,an accordian,a melotica,an omnicord,and just not enough time for
                  all of them.I play them all by EAR.I cant read music at all.I dont even have time to flyfish anymore,but i make time for that.
                  --

                  <flytiethis@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  of
                  > 84
                  > > scheduled United 777 flights and caused delays in Japan and
                  Hawaii.
                  > > United is flying staff to Bucharest to carry out the inspection,
                  > which
                  > > is not lengthy.
                  > >
                  > > The press corps is not scheduled to leave Romania until Friday
                  when
                  > > Bush goes to Croatia. The White House said it expects the
                  necessary
                  > > inspections to be done before then and does not envision any
                  delays.

                  > > "We don't foresee any impact on the travel schedule of the White
                  > House
                  > > press corps," White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said.
                  > >
                  > > Associated Press writers Matthew Lee and Alina Wolfe Murray in
                  > > Bucharest, Romania, and Michael J. Sniffen in Washington

                • Barry Manning
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
                    Hey George, add me to the list (now 6+ and I know of two others) of X-panlflutefriends!

                    Barry

                    <flytiethis@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                    of
                    > 84
                    > > scheduled United 777 flights and caused delays in Japan and
                    Hawaii.
                    > > United is flying staff to Bucharest to carry out the inspection,
                    > which
                    > > is not lengthy.
                    > >
                    > > The press corps is not scheduled to leave Romania until Friday
                    when
                    > > Bush goes to Croatia. The White House said it expects the
                    necessary
                    > > inspections to be done before then and does not envision any
                    delays.

                    > > "We don't foresee any impact on the travel schedule of the White
                    > House
                    > > press corps," White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said.
                    > >
                    > > Associated Press writers Matthew Lee and Alina Wolfe Murray in
                    > > Bucharest, Romania, and Michael J. Sniffen in Washington

                  • george700dl
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
                      In my particular case, I was not contributing to the panflutefriends
                      forum. I was basically waiting to see if the atmosphere there would
                      change from "see how much better we are than the other groups [pat on
                      the back]" to something of substance (like: music or technique or
                      something similar). This never happened while I was there, every
                      other message had a slight (or not so slight) jab at the other forums
                      (including this one) or at well known naists, so I didn't really feel
                      like posting, even after being urged to do so several times. I guess
                      the owner felt like I was not conductive to the kind of forum he
                      envisioned, so my membership was terminated. And he was exactly right
                      and I don't blame him, so no hard (heart) feelings on my end.

                      To me, playing is more important than endless talking. But forums are
                      an excellent source of information for those who don't have the means
                      to have access to in-person instruction. Panflute-world is what gave
                      me the most info to at least get me started, so you're in the right
                      place. Do some searches here on older postings - there is a lot of
                      info there!

                      Good luck!

                    • flytiethis@bellsouth.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
                        I have to agree with you George,I just said enough is enough.I dont need to learn how to argue,i allready know how to do that.
                        --

                        <flytiethis@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > > scheduled United 777 flights and caused delays in Japan and
                        > Hawaii.
                        > > > United is flying staff to Bucharest to carry out the
                        inspection,
                        > > which
                        > > > is not lengthy.
                        > > >
                        > > > The press corps is not scheduled to leave Romania until Friday
                        > when
                        > > > Bush goes to Croatia. The White House said it expects the
                        > necessary
                        > > > inspections to be done before then and does not envision any
                        > delays.
                        > > >
                        > > > "We don't foresee any impact on the travel schedule of the
                        White
                        > > House
                        > > > press corps," White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said.
                        > > >
                        > > > Associated Press writers Matthew Lee and Alina Wolfe Murray in
                        > > > Bucharest, Romania, and Michael J. Sniffen in Washington

                      • eibcga
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
                          Here is some coverage of this event on YouTube's Zamfir Channel.

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QC9pQf6xDU

                          --- In panflute-world@yahoogroups.com, Brad White <bwhite@...> wrote:

                          > I saw this about Bush's visit to Bucharest Romania ... brad
                          >
                          > http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jCCW7CkhZjVogJffTsQXmlpTIq_QD8VPU38G1
                          >
                          > Remember Zamfir, "the King of the Pan Flute" who may have sold more
                          > albums than Elvis in Europe? No?
                          >
                          > Well, the Bush administration wants you to know that the star of those
                          > old television commercials is one of Romania's most famous citizens.
                          >
                          > On the occasion of Bush's visit to Bucharest, the White House has put
                          > Gheorghe Zamfir on a list of Romanian artists and athletes, including
                          > former Olympic gymnast Nadia Comaneci, worthy of special note by
                          > journalists.
                          >
                          > A three-page biography of "Maestro Zamfir," distributed to reporters in
                          > a package of background material on Romania, hails the pan flute
                          > virtuoso as a "musical pioneer," a "living legend," and, to some of his
                          > loyal fans, possibly "the reincarnation of the god Pan."
                          >
                          > The bio, downloaded directly from Zamfir's official Web site, notes his
                          > international fame and popular appeal, especially in Europe and Asia,
                          > where music lovers have no doubt racked up sales of his records.
                          >
                          > It also says the world was nearly denied his tremendous talent because
                          > as a teenager he was virtually forced to take up the pan flute when he
                          > could not get a seat in classes for his instrument of choice: the
                          > accordion.
                          >
                          > ___
                          >
                          > Members of the traveling White House press corps got a small jolt
                          > Wednesday when word filtered to Bucharest that their chartered jumbo
                          > jet is one of 52 United Airlines Boeing 777s temporarily grounded for
                          > inspections of their cargo holds' fire suppression system.
                          >
                          > A spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration said the plane
                          > will require the safety check that forced the cancellation of 31 of 84
                          > scheduled United 777 flights and caused delays in Japan and Hawaii.
                          > United is flying staff to Bucharest to carry out the inspection, which
                          > is not lengthy.
                          >
                          > The press corps is not scheduled to leave Romania until Friday when
                          > Bush goes to Croatia. The White House said it expects the necessary
                          > inspections to be done before then and does not envision any delays.
                          >
                          > "We don't foresee any impact on the travel schedule of the White House
                          > press corps," White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said.
                          >
                          > Associated Press writers Matthew Lee and Alina Wolfe Murray in
                          > Bucharest, Romania, and Michael J. Sniffen in Washington contributed to
                          > this report.

                        • Brad White
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
                            On Apr 4, 2008, at 8:56 AM, eibcga wrote:

                            > Here is some coverage of this event on YouTube's Zamfir

                            Thanks Erik ... brad