Damian Draghici reappears

  • Kevin Budd
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007
      Damian called me last week...he's not playing much pan flute anymore,
      mostly leading his group of Damian and Brothers in a large gypsy
      show. http://www.damianandbrothers.com

      Interestingly, he talked about how he is much more relaxed and can
      smile and dance around while playing tapan, (bass drum). When I watch
      the videos I am certainly caught up in a great colourful spectacle
      full of appealing characters. Damian does look like he's having a
      very good time...energetic, sexy, a little rough, eye-catching.

      If you enjoy these cultures, (Roma) Gypsy, Romanian, and just enjoy a
      very exciting show, take a look.

      I think we can learn a lot about presentation here...and how people
      don't come to see how fast you can play your triple-tongued
      arpeggios, but rather to catch the essence of the person, the
      performer...Damian said that he has put on weight, grown a beard, and
      is not the world's best tapan player....but that the crowds treat him
      like the second coming of a saviour rock star. His great natural
      energy exudes and you become part of it. This is not about whether or
      not you like a drum, or pan flute or a dancer.

      At high levels a great artist can play or sing or perform in almost
      any way...the originality and essentially, the love is there. Watch a
      video of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole on his ukelele, on http://
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=5neuWiAlpm4

      Or Damian...pan flute, drum, ukulele...all great.

      http://www.damianandbrothers.com

      Kevin